First of all I'm not a singer, I'm a guitarist. However since I write music and lyrics I always wished I could sing my own songs to give my full expression. I never had a teacher, and my singing experience is very little limited. I recorded myself several times and I just didn't sound good, I had pitch issues because my voice wasn't so easy to control, and my vocal volume isn't that powerful. So singing would always be out of the question.

However, one day after becoming ill, I realized the volume of my voice was louder than usual. My low range was quite powerful. I decided to try singing that day.

I realized several things:
1. It had never felt so natural singing than it had on that day.
2. My range was quite outstanding actually, the low ends and the high ends had widened up.
3. I could control the pitch with ease, and I could sing in tune 99% of the time with little effort.
4. I could sing in a higher volume than I have ever had before, and it didn't feel like it was forced.

I had never felt these things before when singing, but somehow, being sick made my voice much more powerful. This lasted for several days until my minor illness was healed due to time. After that, my voice was back to normal, boring, volume less and hard to control when singing.

This struck me because it was the first time I actually sounded good at this. I'm not saying I had an incredible voice, I'm just saying I had a pleasing voice to listen to, something to back me up as a songwriter, to give the full expression when I write my own songs. I am fully aware I am not going to be a "Singer".

Since this was not my usual "healthy" voice, do you think I can train my voice to sound like this with a vocal coach?
Have any of you ever been to a vocal coach? Is it any good; did you improve your vocals? Or is the singing talent something natural that can't be trained? What about my case? After all, the one singing on that day was me.

Here is how my singing sounded like when I was ill:

Voice by itself: http://soundcloud.com/alexbrizuela92/im-gonna-find-another-you-3/s-2E0tu

Voice with studio and guitar: http://soundcloud.com/alexbrizuela92/im-gonna-find-another-you

Thanks!
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Last edited by XxLloydxX at Nov 7, 2011,
But I don't want to suck your ass
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard "I was sick" when someone shows their singing.
PM me for newts
Quote by Trowzaa

I warned you...
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!

BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
My voice has gotten better in the last year. Tremendously better. You can train to your voice to sound however you want - you will be a 'singer' one day if you want to. Practice man, practice.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
inb4 puberty.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
didn't read first post, saw this.

Quote by Trowzaa

I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by jetfuel495
It's been almost exactly one year since I blew my voice out, and I haven't been the same since.

You have no idea how much I envy you.

How'd you blow it mang?
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by zgr0826
didn't read first post, saw this.

Oh shit.

But yeah, my voice has gone from decentish to shit, I smoke too much, now I sound like a huskier Ian Curtis. Not complaining too much, it just doesn't fit in with the style of music I write.

Quote by jetfuel495
The difference is, he's saying being sick makes him a better singer.

I just skipped to the end of his post
PM me for newts
Quote by darkstar2466
How'd you blow it mang?
I was getting over a respiratory tract infection when I decided to sing along to some old school Rise Against on the way to school, and I stupidly thought that maybe if I tried to sing louder I could hit the higher notes. Then everything just went kaput. Pushed too hard, all of a sudden my voice went hoarse and I lost all pitch control.

These days I can sing a little better than after I first blew it out, but my range is way more limited and I can't put any grit in my voice anymore. And I can't sing loud. Feels like part of my vocal chords are blocked off, if you know what I mean.
Quote by StewieSwan
I just skipped to the end of his post
#likeaboss
Quote by sglover34479
I'm so not downloading from megaupload to hear your sing while sick. Put it on soundcloud.

I just did that, thanks for the site!
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!

BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Quote by XxLloydxX
I just did that, thanks for the site!

Very nice

EDIT: I also have a sexy talking voice after pulling an all nighter, or spending a few nights outdoors.
Last edited by devourke at Nov 7, 2011,
Quote by jetfuel495
I was getting over a respiratory tract infection when I decided to sing along to some old school Rise Against on the way to school, and I stupidly thought that maybe if I tried to sing louder I could hit the higher notes. Then everything just went kaput. Pushed too hard, all of a sudden my voice went hoarse and I lost all pitch control.

These days I can sing a little better than after I first blew it out, but my range is way more limited and I can't put any grit in my voice anymore. Feels like part of my vocal chords are blocked off, if you know what I mean.#likeaboss

I nearly hit that point once - almost went to the point of no return where whatever snaps ends up snapping completely. Scared the shit outta me. You should practice singing stoned if you smoke - it helps if you practice low-pitch with a decent amount of volume. It really helped me build for higher pitch.

I am sorry for your lots though.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I find I have a sexy talking voice the morning after a night of drunken screaming and yelling. I've never tried to sing with it, though. I'll try it next time.

I mean, it can't be any worse than I already am.
Quote by darkstar2466
I nearly hit that point once - almost went to the point of no return where whatever snaps ends up snapping completely. Scared the shit outta me. You should practice singing stoned if you smoke - it helps if you practice low-pitch with a decent amount of volume. It really helped me build for higher pitch.

I am sorry for your lots though.

Nah, I'm not really much of a smoker. I find that eating a jolly rancher or some starburst before singing helps a little, but that's about it. I've been wanting to get a doctor to look at it, I would just feel stupid telling my parents about it.

But thanks, I appreciate your concern.
Are you ready?

Are you ready?

Ready yet?

You're ready?

Cool story, bro
you're a stone fox
Somewhat on a similar topic, I can usually sing alright, not great. But I went out to have a smoke last night while driving, had some old GNR playing on the radio, and after the first cigarette, my voice and range had actually improved. I had that cool 'gruff' sort of tone, and I could hit the notes without sounding like I was forcing it. It was really quite cool.
Quote by Alkaline 64
Record yourself singing the same thing but how you normally would.

I did that before, I had pitch issues, and my voice sounded forced at some points. I deleted it out of embarrassment. The weirdest part is I find it hard to sing that song now, when i was sick it all came so easily, I could nail it 100% every time I sung it. It was a strange but great experience that's why I wanted to post about it.

I can't record anything right now, its pretty late and my parents room is next to mine.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!

BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Quote by XxLloydxX
I did that before, I had pitch issues, and my voice sounded forced at some points. I deleted it out of embarrassment. The weirdest part is I find it hard to sing that song now, when i was sick it all came so easily, I could nail it 100% every time I sung it. It was a strange but great experience that's why I wanted to post about it.

I can't record anything right now, its pretty late and my parents room is next to mine.

Well, when you can you should do it, just for comparisons sake.
Quote by jetfuel495

These days I can sing a little better than after I first blew it out, but my range is way more limited and I can't put any grit in my voice anymore. And I can't sing loud. Feels like part of my vocal chords are blocked off, if you know what I mean.#likeaboss

Man I'm sorry, yeah, go to the doctor as before as you can. I'm not sure, but from what you told it seems to me it isn't "permanently" damaged. I've read a lot (other people's experience and stuff) and you can heal a damaged voice with guidance, it could take quite a while, but unless it's an extremely damaged voice, you can get everything back to normal

Good Luck.

Quote by Butt Rayge
Well, when you can you should do it, just for comparisons sake.

Alright, tomorrow is a pretty busy day for me, but I'll try to do it.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!

BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Last edited by XxLloydxX at Nov 7, 2011,
Quote by XxLloydxX
Man I'm sorry, yeah, go to the doctor as before as you can. I'm not sure, but from what you told it seems to me it isn't "permanently" damaged. I've read a lot (other people's experience and stuff) and you can heal a damaged voice with guidance, it could take quite a while, but unless it's an extremely damaged voice, you can get everything back to normal

Good Luck.
Thanks. I'd like to get it checked out soon, but after a year, how much can be done? I shouldn't have waited so long, I guess that's the price I pay.
If your voice was a woman I would shag the shit out of it.

Quote by darkstar2466
My voice has gotten better in the last year. Tremendously better. You can train to your voice to sound however you want - you will be a 'singer' one day if you want to. Practice man, practice.

Hey you got any recommended reading for a complete beginner? always wanted to sing but been put off, your post motivated me a little.