For what seems like forever now, I've longed to be able to sing well so I can sing with my own songs and maybe even show them to other people but my voice is awful. I can sing on pitch and that really isn't an issue for me, but I can't stand the tone of my voice... the only time I can ever sound half decent is if I sing with a really low volume but my range becomes incredibly limited. Anyone have advice on how to improve?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
Tone is a product of technique. You need to learn technique, which means you need to take lessons.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
You can't change your tone, because thats how you sound. That's your voice.
Though, things as articulation and vibrato will definitely help on the overall feel.
When saying that pitch is not a problem, have you tried holding a note while playing it on a piano, to compare the pitch? Because a lot of people might not hear that they're a tiny bit out of pitch singing along to songs, though comparing with a piano a lot of singers need improvement.
Im saying this because: If you are pitch perfect, not what how your tones is, it will almost always sound good and enjoyable. Thats why you shouldnt really bother with your tone, you cant change it anyway
Okay, maybe it is semantics here, but there are two things to consider:

Tone as in what makes a Les Paul sound different from a Strat - You're right, one will never sound like the other, just like Eddie Vedder will never sound like Axl Rose.

or

Tone as in the difference between plugging your Les Paul into a Marshall stack and plugging it into the line-in of a ghetto blaster. Either way, it will still sound like a Les Paul, but the latter will be thin, grainy and lifeless.

As far as your voice is concerned, there's nothing you can do about the former, but without technique, most of us have a voice like the latter Les Paul example - thin, grainy and lifeless. With technique, you can go from plugging your Les Paul into the ghetto blaster to plugging it into a Marshall Stack.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
Okay, maybe it is semantics here, but there are two things to consider:

Tone as in what makes a Les Paul sound different from a Strat - You're right, one will never sound like the other, just like Eddie Vedder will never sound like Axl Rose.

or

Tone as in the difference between plugging your Les Paul into a Marshall stack and plugging it into the line-in of a ghetto blaster. Either way, it will still sound like a Les Paul, but the latter will be thin, grainy and lifeless.

As far as your voice is concerned, there's nothing you can do about the former, but without technique, most of us have a voice like the latter Les Paul example - thin, grainy and lifeless. With technique, you can go from plugging your Les Paul into the ghetto blaster to plugging it into a Marshall Stack.

CT

I'm the same as the OP: can sing pretty well but hate my voice. That was a good analogy though, I'm going to remember it for every time I'm hating on myself for the tone of my vocals.
It helps a lot of singers with their tone and range to "aim" their voice towards their soft pallete. (feel the roof of your mouth with your tongue, as you go to the back of the mouth it gets softer... Bingo.)
Like a few people have said, it's down to technique, which helps with lessons and practising.
Quote by PoloSG68
It helps a lot of singers with their tone and range to "aim" their voice towards their soft pallete.

Don't you mean AWAY from the soft palate?

CT

I might be able to help here. I can't sing on pitch but I have pretty sick tone.

Use lots of breath from the diaphram and make sure you don't push too much. Also find you're comfortable range. That was a huge one that helped me.
It's all about air, take enough in, not too much, learn how to let it out, how to support your breathe and how to open your larynx.
You can improve your tone, of course you can, but if you're serious about it you'll get a teacher, one who can hear when you're doing it right and when you're doing it wrong.
Quote by corrda00

Use lots of breath from the diaphram and make sure you don't push too much. Also find you're comfortable range. That was a huge one that helped me.

Fixed.

CT