I'm getting into some sweep arpeggios, but my hammer is kinda quiet, and I was wondering if if there were any exercises I could to to build up pinky strength so I can make a louder sound
When sweeping major/minor triads, try down-picking your notes ascending, and instead of hammering on your highest note, try up-picking it, then pulling off to your 2nd highest note.
Quote by BledGhostWhite
When sweeping major/minor triads, try down-picking your notes ascending, and instead of hammering on your highest note, try up-picking it, then pulling off to your 2nd highest note.

And remember, when it comes to technique, its not cheating if it works.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
^It really is, though, as you're selling yourself short by beating around the bush and finding a solution that involves less work. Having a strong pinky is useful in general, not just for sweeping through arpeggios.

The trilling exercise above works well, as does doing trills on consecutive frets with your ring and pinky finger. You can also do things like four-fret patterns (all conscutive frets) to promote finger independence and strength, such as this one.

e ----------------------------------------------------2-3-4-5
B ------------------------------------------1-2-3-4----------
G -------------------------------4-1-2-3---------------------
D ---------------------3-4-1-2-------------------------------
A -----------2-3-4-1-----------------------------------------
E -1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------

and so on. The traditional three note per string scale shapes work well also.
those chromatic exercises should start higher on the neck, and work downwards.

Also, in this instance, making the sweep easier by using the up pick, isnt cheating. the pick has to come up anyways right?
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by Viban
I'm getting into some sweep arpeggios, but my hammer is kinda quiet, and I was wondering if if there were any exercises I could to to build up pinky strength so I can make a louder sound

Practice trills with the pinky: so fingers 1- pinky, 2- pinky, and 3- pinky. The last one is a good one, especially on the lower strings. Practice all pairings with pinky, on all strings with pinky, all over the fretboard with pinky. Results: uber pinky....err...yeah...pinky!

The note at the top of the sweep that you're hammering can be picked with an upstroke, followed by a pull-off, then continuing the upwards motion across the strings.

The only time you would hammer the top note of the sweep, is if you want to extend the arpeggio's range by incorporating right hand tapping (assuming you're right handed).

Hammering on in this context gives you time to bring your picking hand up to the neck to tap.

Otherwise, it's always an upstroke.

All exponents of this style will use an upstroke in the given context. Yngwie Malmsteen, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman etc.
Last edited by mdc at Nov 8, 2011,
Quote by mdc
Practice trills with the pinky: so fingers 1- pinky, 2- pinky, and 3- pinky. The last one is a good one, especially on the lower strings. Practice all pairings with pinky, on all strings with pinky, all over the fretboard with pinky. Results: uber pinky....err...yeah...pinky!

The note at the top of the sweep that you're hammering can be picked with an upstroke, followed by a pull-off, then continuing the upwards motion across the strings.

The only time you would hammer the top note of the sweep, is if you want to extend the arpeggio's range by incorporating right hand tapping (assuming you're right handed).

Hammering on in this context gives you time to bring your picking hand up to the neck to tap.

All exponents of this style will use an upstroke in the given context. Yngwie Malmsteen, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman etc.

You kind of said it all. I just completely agree.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by vampirelazarus
those chromatic exercises should start higher on the neck, and work downwards.

The lower frets promote greater finger independence because of the increased reach. As I indicated, you extend that idea as far as you want to go.

Quote by vampirelazarus
Also, in this instance, making the sweep easier by using the up pick, isnt cheating. the pick has to come up anyways right?

If you're doing it for the sole purpose of avoiding having to hammer-on and work on your pinky strength, then it's cheating; cheating yourself, that is.
Quote by mdc

I actually prefer not to use an upstroke in most cases, personally. I think the use of legato on the top string, even if you're just coming straight back down, makes the whole thing sound more fluid.
Last edited by :-D at Nov 8, 2011,
Quote by Viban

the sweep arps your working on would be a good exercise in itself.
shred is gaudy music
Personally, I only use my first 3 fingers for quite a few scales and arpeggios and I find that it just works better even though it would generally be more proper with all 4 fingers. Not all the time though.

I play this with 3 fingers better than with the pinky:

E-13h17h18-----------13h17-
B-------------15----15--------
G----------------14-----------

Its better if you can do it with all 4 though.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
You must have a fairly wide span, I presume you hammer to 17 with the 2nd finger?
Quote by mdc
You must have a fairly wide span, I presume you hammer to 17 with the 2nd finger?

Yeah, its probably because I learned that arpeggio before I had much pinky strength at all; most of the stuff I learned awhile back I still play with 3 fingers.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...