I'm getting a 5-string and tuning it GDADG for the prog metal album I'm recording, but I'm not sure what kind of bass amp I should get that can get good sound on notes that low....I'm referring to the G BELOW the normal bass low E. I know people have gone lower, but this is still pretty low, and I'm worried a normal bass amp won't do well with it (though I don't exactly know for sure).
Last edited by Ginsu at Nov 8, 2011,
Carvin 15" or 18" sub given 800 watts minimum. It might make your walls jiggle like Jell-O but don't exect it to sound remotely pleasing. I don't understand the whole... extreme down tuning thing. It doesn't work well when playing.... MUSIC.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Carvin 15" or 18" sub given 800 watts minimum. It might make your walls jiggle like Jell-O but don't exect it to sound remotely pleasing. I don't understand the whole... extreme down tuning thing. It doesn't work well when playing.... MUSIC.

I didn't ask what you think of downtuning, I like the sound of it, so I do it, and I'd appreciate you not making snide remarks about it. I'm not sure how much I can trust your advice either, since I'm looking for advice from someone who actually uses these tunings. (That was a serious statement, not intended to sound rude, sorry if it does). Thanks for the effort though.
I've heard of people using a 4x10 coupled with a 1x15 or 2x15 cabinet. It should cover basically all the ranges.

Like the dude above said, though, I've also heard of folks using a sub in conjunction with a bass amp to add an extra thump to that low end.
All your base are belong to us.
Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I've heard of people using a 4x10 coupled with a 1x15 or 2x15 cabinet. It should cover basically all the ranges.

Like the dude above said, though, I've also heard of folks using a sub in conjunction with a bass amp to add an extra thump to that low end.

Oh, that's excellent. I have an 18" Behringer subwoofer in my garage. XD That makes life a tad easier.
I use a warwick 500w head and a 4x10 and a 1x15 below it, and my low F# goes through lovely. I've tried it through a a behringer 250w 4x10 as well, and it was pretty nice but needed a tad more low end as you can imagine.

Also, compressor and a slight amount of fuzz will do wonders.
An 18" speaker can be a royal bitch at a gig. You might not be able to hear anything at all on the stage, but fifty feet from the speaker it might hit the audience like a sledgehammer. Careful EQing is necessary.

You might want to consider an amplifier that has an EQ control for sub-bass frequencies. Carvin's discontinued B1500 and its successor the B2000 have just such a control. They also have massive amounts of power (1500 watts and 2000 watts at 2 ohms respectively, and yes; they can operate continuously at that load) which will help you drive those ultra-low frequencies. I'd go with an amplifier along those lines, a 4x10 and maybe a 1x15. The 10s will keep you from sounding way too muddy. You've got to have some punch in your tone, even at those low frequencies.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I'm with fatalgear41. But also, do you have a specific price range you are willing to work with? It may be easier to give you even more specific answers.
Are you actually going to be playing in that tuning live?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
Are you actually going to be playing in that tuning live?

BTBAM use G#, Mudvayne uses G and After the Burial uses F.

Also, probably lots of big speakers would do the trick. I use a 215 cab and lows sound glorious. I'm sure with decent EQ'ing, 10''s can probably do the trick, but you might want to use bigger speakers.
pinga
Last edited by Cb4rabid at Nov 8, 2011,
Quote by Cb4rabid
BTBAM use G#, Mudvayne uses G and After the Burial uses F.

I meant is he personally going to be. If he's just going to be recording in the tuning then there's no point in getting an amp when he can just go straight in and use plug ins.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
be careful when using cabs like 4x10's in conjunction with single speaker 1x15 style cabs. You will need at least a very efficient 15" because the wattage is distriduted between each of the tens but the 15 gets hit with all that wattage, and with a lot of watts and a big downtuned bass, you could easily blow speakers.

It might not be far less articulate, but you'd definitely feel that bass
Quote by askrere
be careful when using cabs like 4x10's in conjunction with single speaker 1x15 style cabs. You will need at least a very efficient 15" because the wattage is distriduted between each of the tens but the 15 gets hit with all that wattage, and with a lot of watts and a big downtuned bass, you could easily blow speakers.

It might not be far less articulate, but you'd definitely feel that bass

True. My Carvin Redline R1000 is biamp-ready, and I can split it into two 500-watt amps for when I use both cabinets. Or I can just bridge it for the full 1000 watts. It is definitely a consideration for a full stack.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley