Sup brah's.

So it's getting into winter pretty solidly, and I don't want to run the risk of driving around on suddenly iced/snowy roads with little to no traction on my vehicle.

Who here has experience with tire chains for your vehicle? What's a good, reputable brand/model? Pretty easy to install? Worth it?

For what it's worth, it doesn't snow a lot where I live (seattle area), but when I live in a very hilly area and both my and my wife's vehicles are 2WD and don't fare particularly well in the snow and ice. I had to push her up a hill for about 45 minutes to an hour last year. Want to avoid that this year
My God, it's full of stars!
I don't think they're worth it, at least I haven't seen anyone around here use them hardly ever. I live in Minnesota and drive a '98 Bonneville and haven't had any trouble with snow. However, there aren't many hills around here so we don't have to contend with that. But we do get feet upon feet of snow.
All your base are belong to us.
I bet you get buttsexed by hills all the time. Is it a big problem on those icy roads?
Last edited by JustRooster at Nov 8, 2011,
^ Yeah the hills are the biggest problem here, along with a generally poor response system of dealing with icy roads
Get spikes in your tyres.

Ps. I'm tyred of threads like these
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
lol snow related stuff
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
The cable types are usually easier to install.
Also front wheel drive makes driving in snow SO MUCH EASIER. And safer.
Rear wheel drive in snow is like a delayed death sentence.

One of My Ex GF's had two sets of tires. One normal set and one with studs on it (We lived in Reno and her mother lived in South Lake Tahoe so we did quite a bit of snow driving).
I recommend winter tyres over using snow chains. Get some decent metal studded ones and you'll be fine. Works well in Finland for me.
People don't realize that 2wd and snowy hills don't go together. I have no experience with chains, but I'd imagine they'd be a good idea to have in the trunk. As far as I know, you just lay the chain out, drive onto it, then wrap it around and hook the ends, but I'd imagine there are several types, like most things. I don't have any recommendations except read up on the Amazon reviews, and then try to find them cheap on eBay.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I recommend winter tyres over using snow chains. Get some decent metal studded ones and you'll be fine. Works well in Finland for me.

That's out of our price range though
Isn't there a speed limit for using chains? I can't imagine using those on the highway or anything.
Quote by metalblaster
Isn't there a speed limit for using chains? I can't imagine using those on the highway or anything.

This is true. At least where I live
Chains are a pain in the ass. Throw a couple of bags of sand in your trunk.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Just get tires with dubs, that's what everyone has here in Sweden, it doesn't ruin the streets as much as chains.
DeVillains!