So I just picked up a new tube combo, the exact model isn't really important but after playing for about an hour or two I decided to "crank" it so to speak. I put the pre gain all the way up and moved to the post until about 6 or 7 then pop. Now all I get it a distorted or muffled sound. I'm going to assume this is a blown speaker but I've never had first hand experience with that. Could it be a vacuum tube? I was looking to replace the speaker anyways
Last edited by BoxCarRacer1 at Nov 8, 2011,
just take it back. use your warranty. seriously, dont even attempt anything. just bring it back lol. not worth voiding the warranty when you can just get a brand new one.

also, it's a peavey?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
You must be a wizard... or I must just be a poor consumer. Shame if this is common with peavey tubes, their solid states were always fine for me. But even if I do pick up a replacement I'll still be putting a celestion in this bad boy i just needed to make sure it was the speaker
Quote by BoxCarRacer1
So I just picked up a new tube combo, the exact model isn't really important

If you want practical advice beyond "Take it to a tech" or "Return it", then yes it is important.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
From my experience theres nothing wrong with the Peavey amps themselves, they just use crappy speakers. I doubt you blew your tubes, thats highly unlikely.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
it isnt common with peavey, but you said pre gain and post gain and they're one of the only amps ive seen who use those labels.

and even though it isnt common, it CAN happen. there will always be lemons. you cant make 100% sure that every amp you make will last 20 years
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by souperman08
If you want practical advice beyond "Take it to a tech" or "Return it", then yes it is important.

Yes because a blown speaker is a condition which absolutely and can ONLY be diagnosed by brand and model... it's not like ALL blown speakers just sound like muffled farts right? Peavey Classic 30 112. What practical advice do you have now? I'm still taking advantage of my return policy and as I originally stated I am still replacing the speaker
you dont need to make sure of anything. just take it back and say hey this broke i need a new one.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BoxCarRacer1
What practical advice do you have now?

Stop talking like a 12 year old.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
Stop talking like a 12 year old.

Hey, I'm not the one who raised a completely moot point for no apparent reason and then can only retort with "Stop talking like a 12 year old.". Can someone show me how to close this thread now that the question's been answered?
Some amps have known issues. If you had such an amp, it would be easy to point you in the direction of such a problem. It turns out the amp you have is pretty much known for being very reliable. This points to a problem that was likely a freak accident, and won't happen when you get your replacement. So I think the make and model of the amp do make a difference. Plus, you spent way more time typing out "the exact model isn't really important" than "peavey classic 30" so it would have actually been easier for you to just state the amp right off the bat. Anyway, just go take your amp back and go ahead and let the thread die.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Yip, I've got the clasic 50 2x12 and I've had it way up, had the windows shaking but the amp survived fine, still does. It's been gigged a few times too without even a slight hiccup. Had the classic 30 too which a mate bought off me, he plays flat out and he never had a problem either. You really did manage to find a lemon lol.
You could simply have a loose tube. Pull each one out and plug it back in again. That won't void the warranty and if it doesn't fix it, take it back.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification