Hi guys,
I've saved up a bit of money to buy a tube amp, either a blackstar ht 40 or marshall ma50c. Each one i could get for the same price. I've been playing everything from jazz to thrash metal for about 4 years and would really like a tube amp. I currently own a fender frontman 25 which is crap, with a way huge green rhino as an od. my guitar is a jackson dinky dk2m built in 2010. I would really like an amp that can have really good cleans with a lot of gain as well.
cheers.
I would go with Jet City personally, but if you are set on one of those then I would say the Blackstar.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Go for a Jet City. The MA50 is crap and the HT40 doesn't have great cleans.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
^What they said. The Jet City will looooove your Green Rhino.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
jet city 50 watt or 20 watt? my friend has a 20 watt and cant get cleans out at high levels.
Quote by jackson4321
jet city 50 watt or 20 watt? my friend has a 20 watt and cant get cleans out at high levels.

I guess 50 watt then? I had the 20 and had no issue getting cleans at a level to keep up with drums. Granted, they weren't sparkling Roland Jazz Chorus cleans, but they were cleans.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
can it you get hi-gain metal from it? i don't want to be stacking pedals on top of pedals for a distorted sound
We wouldn't have recommended it if it couldn't.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
if you want a marshall you can get a dsl100 or dsl50 for a pretty good price
Quote by jose1216
if you want a marshall you can get a dsl100 or dsl50 for a pretty good price

Nah, JCA50w
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitar Sushi
Overall Marshal MA sucks dick but they have great use, they take distortion pedals like a charm. Otherwise pretty much anything is better.

The price isn't worth it tbh
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
thanks guys,
il go out and try the jet city so it will be either that or the blackstar,
cheers
Blackstar is not tube, only has a tube power amp, kinda like a Spider valve/Vyper tube.

Jet City are great amps.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Blackstar is not tube, only has a tube power amp, kinda like a Spider valve/Vyper tube.

Jet City are great amps.

Last time I checked, Blackstar amps have power tubes and pre amp tubes.

Last time I checked, most hybrid modeling/tube combos, have either 1 pre amp tube by itself (Marshall AVT, etc) or 1 power tube, and 1 pre amp tubes (Vox, I think.)
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Last time I checked, Blackstar amps have power tubes and pre amp tubes.

Last time I checked, most hybrid modeling/tube combos, have either 1 pre amp tube by itself (Marshall AVT, etc) or 1 power tube, and 1 pre amp tubes (Vox, I think.)

Nope, I have a SV and it deffinately has 2 pre amp tubes. They were selling it also as an all tube amp when it came out and lying to everyone, just like Blackstar is/has.
Besides, I have not found a Blackstar amp that I like yet, and I have tried the HT-1/5/20/40. I was very dissipointed too because all I heard is Hype about how amazing the tone was, but it wasn't to me.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Nope, I have a SV and it deffinately has 2 pre amp tubes. They were selling it also as an all tube amp when it came out and lying to everyone, just like Blackstar is/has.
Besides, I have not found a Blackstar amp that I like yet, and I have tried the HT-1/5/20/40. I was very dissipointed too because all I heard is Hype about how amazing the tone was, but it wasn't to me.

ehh, I really don't care either way about tubes or not, as long as it sounds good.

And I'm with ya, I haven't played a single Blackstar I like, I guess I don't understand the hype, the tone seems really bland and lifeless.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90