Page 1 of 2
So yeah, I'm in two minds about whether to get a Bass or Electric Guitar. Been playing acoustic for almost a year. I've been speaking to a friend at school who's been playing both for 4 years. He says playing bass along with songs is not fun at all, and I should get an Electric Guitar.

I'd like to ask you guys, is playing bass along with songs and stuff fun? I just don't want to regret my desicion.

Just to let you know, the songs of bands that I play most: Rise Against, Green Day (not much now, got bored of power chords, but maybe the bass...), Sum 41 (Mostly the stuff in Chuck), Blink-182, Metallica (can only play 2-3 songs, but want to learn more really badly), Coldplay, Oasis.
I don't play bass, but the title jumped out to me.

I think if you have doubts about playing an instrument, then maybe you're not ready for it afterall.

Bass doesn't always have to be just about being an octave switcher: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yqOA0BMXS0&feature=related

Edit: Take it with a grain of salt. Remember: I don't play bass.
Last edited by triface at Nov 8, 2011,
All instruments are as fun as you make them.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101

This, it depends what you play.

Could you borrow a bass and see if you like it?
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Get Both? Seeing as you have an acoustic already, get a Bass then in the future when you can, get an electric guitar..
Bass is hella fun. Being a guitarist of like 10 years, I love to grab a bass every now and then and groove out some easy basslines. It's a totally different beast. Bass is probably easier to start out on than guitar so you'll probably progress a little faster then guitar.

Look at what you want to do aswell. If you want to be in the songwriting game, guitar is probably a better option. You can compose stuff on a bass but it's probably not going to be as "useable". That and most bands looking for bass players are looking for solid rhythm players, and don't really care if you can 8 finger tap beethoven's moonlight sonata.

With what you're listening to, if you're bored of power chords in these songs, the bass is probably not going to be much better. Green day, blink and rise against are most likely going to be following the guitar part anyway so you'll basically be playing the same thing minus 2 notes.

Definitely borrow one for a week and see how it feels. Gotta say that the most fun I ever had in a band was playing bass for a post rock band.

And Bass players get more girls.

Good luck!
Bass?
BASS IS THE ****ING ROCKER!
you know what they say. You cant spell bass w/o ass.
it is fun
"What do you call a sheep with no legs?
.....a cloud!"
~Flea
Quote by Nutter_101

Yep, this.

If youre gonna learn bass and then play along with the root note of a three chord green day song then it is gonna be boring as hell, something youve already mentioned yourself as getting bored of playing power chords.

If you decide to really make a go of it and play properly then it'll be loads of fun, like all musical instruments. The most fun you can have is to play with other musicians though and as a bassist you will always be able to find a willing guitarist to jam with.

ALTERNATIVE OPTION: Save your pennies up and buy both!
I play bass because I hate it and to torture myself.

Of course I think it's fun, but how are we supposed to know if you'll like it?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
I play bass because I hate it and to torture myself.

Of course I think it's fun, but how are we supposed to know if you'll like it?

Agreed. you should try both borrowed for a while and pick from your own experience. i played guitar for years, the a friend of mine borrowed me his bass for a few weeks, and ended up playing bass. i think it is a lot more fun than guitar... i don't know why, but the rythm is so much more powerful with bass, i found that that really gets me going.

also, being the structure of a band and to let everybody play along i think is cool. but i have to admit that i'm more dedicated with bass than i was to guitar. and that's what people is trying to tell you when you get the "an instrument is as fun as you make it" answer.

and i have the sensation bass is a more mature instrument than guitar. don't sig me on this, but i felt that with guitar it was all like "how fast can U play?!" and with bass it's less simple than that, you have to be the base rythmically (with the drummer), and musically of the band, have the groove and the tone that comes from your very fingers... i don't know, i'm just a bass fan, even though i'm still a beginner...

hope this helps.

Conclusion: borrow both for a few weeks and decide from your own experience. if you do that, you're hardly gonna go wrong.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Last edited by Sudaka at Nov 8, 2011,
I switched to bass after playing guitar for two years and have been playing it for 3ish years since. I love it (even though I suck), and the main reason that I stuck with it is because I really find it enjoyable, whether just goofing around, improvising to songs I've never heard before, or playing favorites.
If you wanna learn more Metallica I suggest you go with the bass.
The early Cliff Burton basslines sure gives you a whole 'nother perspective on bass playing.
You're already playing acoustic guitar, do you want an electric one? I mean you should probably have that figured out all on your own without our advice. If you love it so much that you want to expand your guitar pallet, then go for it, if you don't, then don't buy one and go the bass route if you're still itching for an instrument.

You'll be asked to play in far more bands if you play bass, and that's the part that's most fun after all.

You're not going to solo perform songs for people on bass though (yeah a million exceptions will be listed in this thread, but you're not going to do that), so if you don't enjoy playing catchy stuff to yourself or playing with other musicians, I say skip the bass.

edit* and bass might rekindle your enjoyment of Greenday, the bass lines are a lot better than the guitar parts for that particular band. Conversely, you'll never want to play Blink 182 again.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Nov 8, 2011,
There's a bass forum for a reason, people play bass. That should have been your answer right there :p

I started on an acoustic, but I knew I wanted to play bass, borrowed a friends and played it ever since. I still play guitar, but bass is my thing. Either way I'd make some effort to play with others or write your own stuff, covers in your bedroom is not so fun, at least to me.
Quote by FallenDestiny
So yeah, I'm in two minds about whether to get a Bass or Electric Guitar. Been playing acoustic for almost a year.

If you already own an acoustic, why not buy a bass and try it?
I totally agree with Sudaka.

I played guitar for quite a few years, and one day I literally woke up and said "I'm gonna buy a bass". Bought one that day, and I've barely touched my electric guitars since.

I'm not really sure why I like bass better, though. It's just kinda a more chill instrument, I guess.

I'm not sure if you're still in high school or if your a recent grad, but if so, do what I do. Whenever I dno if I wanna play a new instrument, I go down to my old high school, bring my accoustic, or one of my electrics, and ask the music teacher if he'd do a trade with me for a few weeks. It's how I learned trumpet, and how I decided not to learn sax for a while.
I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by theboots
I totally agree with Sudaka.

I played guitar for quite a few years, and one day I literally woke up and said "I'm gonna buy a bass". Bought one that day, and I've barely touched my electric guitars since.

Lol I did the exact same thing.

I've been playing almost 5 years now, and my continually evolving playing style and skill has kept me interested. When I started, I was listening to and playing mostly punk, until I got bored of that. I got into funk (RHCP, Primus etc.) and that stuff is fun as to play. I now listen to a lot of progressive metal, and play in progressive metalcore band New Paradigm.

I now play to technically challenging stuff like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Protest the Hero, BTBAM, Dominici, Periphery, Liquid Tension Experiment etc. That stuff is VERY fun to play.

So yes, bass is fun. but only if you aspire to do more than pedal notes all the time, in the same way that endless power chords on guitar get boring.
Quote by shmeegle
Bass players get more girls.
Lo, for this be'ith a sage truth, dear FallenDestiny! Whence thy play'eth bass, thee pluck'eth each string with thine fingers! Oft'n thee pluck'eth fastly and with fierce gusto, yet sometimes slowly and with delicacy. This give'th ye excellent practice in ye fine art of fingerbanging beauteous wenches!

A six-string'eth-banshee be'ith also an instrument most formidable and joyous to play, yet whence thee master tight and speedy riffage (such as thrash rhythms, or Death Metal tremolo pick'age) these techniques merely aid thee in polishing thine own trouser-sword!

This post now concludeth!
WATCH YE TALES OF THIS VERY KNIGHT, AS TOLD IN YE ARTS OF CINEMA AND METAL:
> CLICK'ETH HERE <
Last edited by Ye Black Knight at Nov 9, 2011,
Lo, for this be'ith a sage truth, dear FallenDestiny! Whence thy play'eth bass, thee pluck'eth each string with thine fingers! Oft'n thee pluck'eth fastly and with fierce gusto, yet sometimes slowly and with delicacy. This give'th ye excellent practice in ye fine art of fingerbanging beauteous wenches!

A six-string'eth-banshee be'ith also an instrument most formidable and joyous to play, yet whence thee master tight and speedy riffage (such as thrash rhythms, or Death Metal tremolo pick'age) these techniques merely aid thee in polishing thine own trouser-sword!

This post now concludeth!

Alas, this honorable knight doth speak vast truths!
I used to be a bassist primarily (now I'm a guitarist again) but I still play bass a fair bit. I find it more relaxing that guitar. There's less pressure on you to come up with some sort of intense passage of playing, and that allows me at least to relax and play very tightly, and focus on my technique, and enjoying myself. Playing shows as a bassist is awesome, especially with the type of music I play, because although I occasionally have my melodic, groovy basslines to play, I also get to just play root notes and scales, which lets me move around and get really into the music.

Also, bass distortion/growl is such an amazing sound.
Clicky.
That old fella seems to be enjoying being a legend at bass, it's certainly a fun instrument.
To sum it up, your friend is full of shit and try both instruments to see what's best for you.
I find it so funny that someone comes on a bass forum and asks a group of bass players if playing bass is fun, as though we're a bunch of hidden masochists or something.

I played guitar for several decades and then switched to bass and never looked back. The instrument speaks to me in a way guitar never did. I love bass. But I am in a band with a guitarist who has tried bass but it never spoke to him in a significant way. He however is an awesome lead guitarist who understands how to lock in with the rhythm section.

Lesson--try both. It will be a voyage of discovery to find your primary instrument and teach you to appreciate what other instruments bring to the mix.

And if Les Claypool is any indication, yes, playing bass is fun and highly entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE5GuBSstw0
Yeah, some of your thoughts did match mine. I was too thinking, that I already have an acoustic, so why not get a Bass instead of an Electric Guitar..

Never thought I would get so many replies you know :P

Yes, I've heard that Green Day's basslines>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Guitar. Talking about the old stuff, not 21stCB stuff. And, I've also heard about Blink XD. What mainly got me into loving the bass sound was Cliff Burton in the Master of Puppets days, and also Flea. I've been looking at tabs and stuff.

I guess it is a bit silly to ask people in a Bass Forum whether playing Bass is fun, but still.
Thank you for all your replies and time. This majorly tips the scales.

Well, what got me into playing bass was that I had to play it whenever the electric guitar was already taken during music class.

I play both now, works out great.

No chicks yet though.
i play both and guitar is way more fun imp.bass can get very boring as its mostly monotonal
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Eggmond
i play both and guitar is way more fun imp.bass can get very boring as its mostly monotonal

No the bass is not monotonal, you are monotonal! The bass only plays what you play through it. If you have no creativity or musical sense then it's your fault not the bass's
It depends on what you play. Bass is definitely boring when you're playing root notes in straight 8ths. But so is guitar when you do likewise with power chords.

I.e., fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KCJhhyM3jM
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Bass has more of a supporting, rhythmic role than a melodic one. Like someone else said, you could try borrowing a bass and learning some songs in it to see if you like it.

Quote by shmeegle
And Bass players get more girls.

wat. Since when?
Professional lurker since 2009.
Anyone who says bass is monotonal or boring or any of that crap can go **** themselves. its your decision. go watch victor wooten or geddy lee (Rush) I've been playing bass for 2 years and I love it. Bass doesnt have to be monotonal, we can play chords just like guitarists. We may not be as famous as guitarists, but bassists are an extremely important part of every band.
Ibanez SR405QM
Quote by Demonikk
When it comes to the point where the fate of the world is in the hands of any UG member, I think it's safe to say we're pretty much ****ed

Spoken by a true American

PSN-Italiano_Mafioso
ESP Ltd F-50
MXR M-116
BTW, Am I wrong or bass appears in almost every type of musica while guitar don't? i mean, bass is an instrument that appears in a lot of different music genres in which guitar doesn't, but i can't think of any band that uses a guitar that does not use a bass...
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
BTW, Am I wrong or bass appears in almost every type of musica while guitar don't? i mean, bass is an instrument that appears in a lot of different music genres in which guitar doesn't, but i can't think of any band that uses a guitar that does not use a bass...

How about the White Stripes.
Quote by shmbluh12
How about the White Stripes.

yes you're right.

However:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j7huh5Egew

Is he using an octaver or somthing? cuase it seems a pretty bassy sound
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
i used to play guitar, but i stopped because i'd always get bored and end up playing bass instead...
I'd say bass is a lot more fun.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
and i like cocks
"What do you call a sheep with no legs?
.....a cloud!"
~Flea
Page 1 of 2