Ok, so first off, for the people that don't know, Djent is a term for a guitar tone and palm-muted playing style that was originated by Meshuggah. Now what we have is a lot.. A LOT of new bands doing this. Of course, with this explosion of high-school "djent" bands comes a natural hate and everyone starts regarding it as some temporary hype. This might be true of couse but there are some things bothering me about this. If we filter these "djent" bands we notice that there is a large number of actually really good bands. Vildhjarta, Monuments, Fellsilent, The Contortionist, TesseracT, Skyharbor, Cloudkicker, Animals as Leaders, Periphery (... they used to be better), Chimp Spanner, etc.

The problem for me is this. I wonder how many people here know about all these bands. Probably, none, or very few. All the headlines on this site always focus about lists or news that.. isn't actually news. Animals as Leaders have released a new album but there isn't a single review on this site about it, and it is practically impossible to say that Tosin Abasi isn't a good guitarist. The bad thing is, is that the few GOOD "djent" bands will die out due to lack of media attention and due to everyone seeing this as some hype. I haven't seen a single article about these bands but they are the ones releasing new material that gets overseen due to how few people know of them. Chimp Spanner is touring Europe this winter with Cynic, Tesseract and Animals as Leaders are/were touring with Between the Buried and Me and periphery has opened for Dream Theater. It would be ignorant to say that they are not productive and deserve no media attention. We have headlines, upon headlines about top 10 lists that always... ALWAYS have the same band names in them. Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Hendrix, Guns n roses, Metallica. I don't want to make some old-timer cry but these bands aren't gonna release any new material soon and if they do... I guess I don't have to tell you how the Lou Reed/Metallica thing ended. The point is, is that due to these bands being influenced by Metalcore to some degree, people don't even give a chance to these new, talented bands. Everyone seems to only hear the -core in this, but not the jazz fusion or groove metal. I think giving these new bands some place in the headlines will end this "this isn't music news, UG" spree.

Rant over.. Omfg...
Most people here know about all the bands you mentioned, and a good number of these people will tell you that they are shit. Those people would be correct.

Go baw somewhere else.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
The front page has nothing to do with this section of the forum.

However, user-made reviews do make the front page, so just get started. Fame awaits!
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
To be honest mate you're on the wrong forum at the moment if you're into bands like that. Don't get me wrong, i am a massive fan of all the bands you listed, and have seen periphery both times they came to Australia, what i'm trying to say is sevenstring.org is the place to be for music like that, and you'll find most of those bands or members from them all post there.

I agree with the point that people judge them more than the point of getting media attention, let me explain... I've tried showing a number of regular metal heads things from the "djent" scene, and they just don't get it. To be honest i remember the first time i tried listening to periphery, i knew there was something awesome about them but i just couldn't get into the style at the time. Over the course of about half a dozen listens though i was able to wrap my head around what they were doing, and it made it infinitely easier listening to everything else from that scene. I think 99% of people who hear anything from bands of that style get the same thing, but don't put the effort in to really understand what's going on, which is fair enough seeing as bands like Monuments tune down to F, some people just get scared off by frequencies like that.

One thing i do have to disagree on is their media attention, so far in the last two years i've seen a MASSIVE explosion of media coverage on all things "djent". Periphery for example have probably been the most successful in this regard, probably all because of Misha, but they've had 4 page interviews in guitar world (as well as a massive line of articles/lessons from Misha) as well as ads for products they use, being placed in the new Ibanez catalog (along with the boys from Tesseract). The thing is with bands like this, they're "internet" bands, not finding media coverage most of the time from the normal sources that a regular band would go through, being tv, radio and magazines. Bands like this go through places like the sevenstring.org forum, or through other avenues like bandcamp, soundcloud and youtube. Because of resources like this they actually get their name out to a LOT more people than what you'd get through "regular" sources and word of mouth alone.

I agree though, these bands deserve a lot more attention than they're getting, and chances are it's because most of these bands don't have more than an album under their belt. Their time will come though, Djent as a whole is my #1 tip for the big thing for this decade, and with bands like this, it very well will be.

Also, ignore the haters, most of the guys here are either 14 and bandwagon the hate on metal, or they're 50 and sitting at home strumming their strats.
Last edited by SDM at Nov 8, 2011,
Quote by SDM
I've tried showing a number of regular metal heads things from the "djent" scene, and they just don't get it. ...I think 99% of people who hear anything from bands of that style get the same thing, but don't put the effort in to really understand what's going on,

Fuck off.

which is fair enough seeing as bands like Monuments tune down to F, some people just get scared off by frequencies like that.
Double fu
ck off.

Quote by SDM
I agree though, these bands deserve a lot more attention than they're getting, and chances are it's because most of these bands don't have more than an album under their belt. Their time will come though, Djent as a whole is my #1 tip for the big thing for this decade, and with bands like this, it very well will be.
It happened with deathcore, it happened with metalcore, and it happened with nu-metal before that. Everytime a band comes up with a fun new gimmick, every **** with a guitar and a pair of skinny jeans jumps on the bandwagon and emulates that sound perfectly, even down to having the same exact guitar tone. It takes less than a few months before everything gets stale and formulaic, and it only goes downhill from there.

Quote by SDM
Also, ignore the haters, most of the guys here are either 14 and bandwagon the hate on metal, or they're 50 and sitting at home strumming their strats.

Fuck off, fuck yourself, and fuck off again.
Butt Rayge

although I do like a bit of cloudkicker every now and then.

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
Quote by Jonny92
Butt Rayge

although I do like a bit of cloudkicker every now and then.

And so long as you never suggest I hate it because I'm too thick to understand it, afraid of the br00tz or because I think it makes me cool, I'll never think less of you for it.
Then we might have a problem... lol

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite