hey guys any tips on how to bend any where from the first to fourth fret (any strings)?
now I'm not a weak guy, but i just cant bend up that high,
Any help is as always appreciated!!
cheers
If your trying to bend on one of the thiner stings, say the B or E string, just move further up the neck on the G string.

Thats one option...
I also doubt that's possible.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
it's possible, it just require strength and practice.

no one here have played in the flesh by pink floyd??
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
Im not sure what you mean but index finger alone is quite weak. Use your fingers together for example bending with ring finger with middle and index still on the string providing more strength. try to keep the fingers still and do the main movement with turning your wrist. When learned it makes the bend more stable and you hit the notes more easily (Good way to learn bending the right note is to choose a scale and try to hit the next note with bending. Then play the note you first tried to bend and bend it to next one... and so on. Try to bend straight to the note with no: "oh its not here... and also not here, could it be here" -thing. If you are just starting you might not know what the next note is so just play the next note shortly and then bend to it. More advanced: bend the string without playing it and try to FEEL where the right note is then play it. This is how you learn motoric memory and bendings become automatic... after hard practice of course) HOPE THIS HELPS A BIT!
If U have nothing to say... say nothing!
Unless you're using 8's and downtuning, you're going to break a string attempting that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by leolehto
Im not sure what you mean but index finger alone is quite weak. Use your fingers together for example bending with ring finger with middle and index still on the string providing more strength. try to keep the fingers still and do the main movement with turning your wrist. When learned it makes the bend more stable and you hit the notes more easily (Good way to learn bending the right note is to choose a scale and try to hit the next note with bending. Then play the note you first tried to bend and bend it to next one... and so on. Try to bend straight to the note with no: "oh its not here... and also not here, could it be here" -thing. If you are just starting you might not know what the next note is so just play the next note shortly and then bend to it. More advanced: bend the string without playing it and try to FEEL where the right note is then play it. This is how you learn motoric memory and bendings become automatic... after hard practice of course) HOPE THIS HELPS A BIT!

that is such a daft idea.

You learn how to get your bends right by listening.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
btw i didn't mean bend the first fret so high that its equal to the note which would normally be played by fretting the fourth. I just mean bending any of them frets alone as it gets easier from 5 onward.
Yer anyway ill just move it up a string i guess that will make it a lot easier.
The reason i asked was because I've seen a few songs where they bend the top frets, and was wondering myself if it was possible.
And to leoletho while i appreciate your attempted advice i can bend, i wasn't asking how to bend just how to bend on certain frets.
Thanks anyway bud
Last edited by mybanez at Nov 8, 2011,
It's just a matter of building up finger strength. One of the best ways of building some "power" in your digits is to pratice on an accoustic. Someone mention a Pink Floyd song, there are some other Gilmore accoustic pieces where he uses bends on the first 4 frets.

Also you may want to check out some some old 1930s era accoustic blues songs.

You will find that when you switch back to an electric it almost too easy to over bend.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
One thing I neglected to mention, you will want to be sure that the nuts on your guitars are at their optimum height, some brands of guitars seem to have nuts that are way too high.

Obviously you don't want to take off too much that you get buzz, but sometimes just sanding down a "hair" make a world of difference.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
With power slinky's on my Strat, I can bend a half step on every string at the 1st fret. I have to squash my 1st and second fingers on the fret though.

So any fret from there's just gonna get easier! Woohoo.
i ca bend 2nd to 5th just about but im betting 1st to 4th is almost impossible and will result in you breaking a string if attempted on the e or b
It's tough but not impossible. Petrucci does a full step bend on the fourth fret in the solo in Metropolis Part 1. It just takes practice, but for the most part, it's not useful. It puts a lot of strain on your fingers, and thus a lot of tension in your hand. It's much more practical to use a tremolo bar to raise the pitch or slide or do a hammer on or something. It won't sound exactly the same, but it's easier.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I can bend at least a whole step on every fret except for the first on each string (though for some reason on the high E I can only bend a whole step from the 3rd fret - you'd think the low E would be harder). This is with my thumb behind the neck (none of that baseball bat grip nonsense :P) and 10 gauge strings.

But bending one and a half steps from the 1st fret is a) ridiculous and b) going to break your strings. Why not just do it from the 2nd or 3rd fret? Or maybe you're just misreading the tab.