Page 1 of 2
Good day fellow UGers!

I've been on the board for a while but I never wrote a NAD, so if you mind I will treat EVERY amp I owned since the start of guitar playing at april '09!

For the updates scroll down, everything is in chronological order and I will update this thread every time I buy and sell something so I don't spam you with new theads everytime my GAS takes control !
(updated opinion about Mesa Mark IV, added amp Fender Deluxe Reverb and added amp Vox AC30H2 Handwired)

Yamaha GA-15

This practise amp sucks. I played guitar for 3 weeks and already knew it sucked!
The clean is acceptable, the crunch is the worst ever!

Fender FM212R

This was my second amp, I played guitar for about 2 months now and was very happy with it!
This amp has a very good clean channel, and the reverb is also very nice!
The crunch however, is acceptable when you don't go too heavy on a budget, but if you are a rocker you want something else!

I sold this after 4 months.

Bugera 333XL 212 combo

This was my first tube amp, and whow what a difference!
It has great cleans and heavy distortion. A full 3 channel amp with a useless noise gate and XL switch!
This amp is genious for those who want versiality and quality on a budget.
The only thing I did not like was the active EQ, the center is 0 instead of 5, so you can cut and add frequencies like on a Bass amp.

I sold this to buy my first Marshall Halfstack.

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 + 1960a cabinet

This was my dream! Bought it secondhand and I loved it!
In the beginning everything was perfect on this amp, especially with an Ibanez TS9 in front to tighten things up!
I changed the stock icepicky speakers to V30s which add some mids and fatness, much easier on the ears!
The reverb on this thing sucks big time because it humms, I bought a pedal for it!

I started to gig with this thing and it went great!
I got a couple of complaints though that it was a bit harsh at high volume, then I found out that the distortion channel actually sucks and is fizzy.
My solution was to only use the green channel, which is a great channel!
But ofcoarse I lost the versiality of a clean and lead channel when you only use one!

Mesa .50 Caliber + combo

I bought this amp to have an US voiced amp next to my DSL50.
The clean is WONDERFUL with a rich reverb, really fender like!
The distortion channel sounds very vintage. Much Mids and cuts through perfectly.
Mine was equipped with a Black Shadow C90 speaker which isn't great for this amp.
I tried it in my 1960 cab with G75T speakers (before I had the V30) but these made things worse.
I sold it, but when I look back I should just have swapped the speaker to a V30 or Electrovoice 12L.

Marshall JMP 2203 '78 which I still have and adore

There it was, the dream amp!
I compared it a/b on the same cab with the boosted greenchannel of the DSL50. This showed me that the DSL50 green channel is indeed a very very fine amp. A bit more modern voiced though! BUT, the 2203 sounded fuller than anything I have ever heard!
I sold the DSL because the 2203 filled all its place with something better.
The 2203 is great and goes from blues clean to metal with a TS9!
The downside on this thing is: No FX loop, and 1 channel.
Delay sounds crap in the front, and to go from crunch to clean you ideally have to alter ALL settings on this thing, so it is impossible to go from clean to crunch in 1 song.
The wonderful classic sound makes up for having no FXloop and just 1 channel though!

Mesa Mark IV (a version) long head with 2x12 Mesa vertical cab

This is my newest baby!
I looked 14 weeks for it on the net and finally found this set for an acceptable price!
I read a lot of things about it, it should be very hard to dail in and it should be very specific sounding.
The first thing what I tried when I saw it was the clean channel. It was instant love and I didn't turn a button!
The clean sounds VERY much like a Fender, the reverb is very very full and it can go from fat to sparkling twangy! The clean is VERY easy to dail in.
I tried this channel with the Electrovoice 12L and Black Shadow C90 mesa cab and this is fantastic! I also tried the V30 Marshall cab but this is less convincing because the mids give a kind of "grit" to the clean.

Then I tried the lead channel. I fiddled 1 minute with the knobs and got a good lead sound which I fell instantly in love with. but when I got to know the amp a little and fiddled with different modes and settings I found the greatest fattest lead AND rhythm sound that I ever heard from any amp I played. I am in love! Harmonics jump all over the place
The lead channel is more difficult to dail in than the clean channel, but everyone will get a great sound out of it with 5 minutes of dailing in.
This sounds both great on the Mesa cab for fullnes and the Marshall V30 cab for agression. I feel the V30 also feels a bit smoother. ( I will try the combination of the Electrovoice 12L and V30 instead of the C90 soon)

Then came the Rhythm 2 channel.
This is a PAIN to dail in. EVERYTHING I did brought me either fizzy thin tone or not enough distortion.
Then I found the magic trick, treat the Treble as gain and you rock!
Now I added a TS-9 and now this channel is my beloved classic rock channel! (might not even bring my 2203 to stage anymore)
No, it does NOT give you Marshall tones, but its close! Its like a Marshall with less brightness.

This should be everyones dream amp who wants versiality, it can do ANYTHING.

Mark IV experience update:
I still stand for everything I said, except the love for ME is over. This thing is amazing and will really do anything, but after playing with it for about a year the amp keeps feeling a bit too "sterile" to me. It has no real own vibe to it and therefore I could't bind with it like I did with the JMP (which has TON of character). It does everything there is but does nothing really unique (though many people claim and swear the leads on this thing are unique, but I didn't see it).

Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
This amp has it, and with "it" I mean the thing the mark IV didn't have: character!!!
It has to be said: Every amp of the above with nice cleans, are NOTHING in comparison to this little box. When you plug in a Deluxe Reverb, you instantly feel the sound everyone always reffered to as "the Fender sound". You thought you knew and understood it, but you didn't before you try a real one.
The one I bought had a 6v6 tube with split (! WTF?) glass and sounded like shit. Ofcoarse I threw in a pair of new Tung Sols and biassed them and this thing is PURE heaven.
The cleans are the best of the best, and when you turn the volume past 5 the Blues will come to you!
It's known for taking pedals really good, but I can't make it happen. This is probably because I'm too used to the settings on the pedals on the Marshall amp and this Deluxe Reverb is ofcoarse the total opposite of the 2203 (and it should be).
I also would like to note that this thing has the easiest settings EVER! There are two tone knobs, treble and bass. No matter what you do with them, this thing will deliver THE FENDER SOUND!!
Also: this reverb is epic. No reverb will ever sound better.

I sold this amp because I wanted to try something else and I miss it. I am sure that I will buy one again soon and never let it go!!!

Vox AC30 H2 Heritage Handwired with Blue Bulldogs
This is my latest addition. Like almost all my amps I bought it secondhand.
When I decided to buy a Vox I actually never played or even heard a Vox. I want to know all the most influential amps there are and how much more do you get to know a sound of an amp than actually owning it? So a purchase must be made.
A few hours of research on the web told me that the best Vox AC30 was a pre 1968 one, which would cost me a ton. The second best would be this H2 Heritage series which are some kind of anniversary model Vox made for 1 or 2 years. The reason why this amp in particular really should have "that" Vox sound is because it still has the EF86 preamp tube in it (which is responsible for the Brilliance sound channel) , PLUS a tube rectifier which in other models have been replaced by a diode equivalent.
I arrived at the appointment and plugged my telly in this thing and it was instant love. It was a clean sound that I never heard, it was TOTALLY different from the "Fender clean" but it was not worse, just very different (more crystal clear but WITH a lot of character).
Both the EF86 Brilliance channel and the Top Boost channel sound awesome.
When I got home I decided to crank this thing on the Top Boost channel. Volume 10, tone cut all the way off, full 30 watts pentode mode...
Once again I was in tone heaven, an overdrive, no... a Distortion I've never experienced! This thing cranked is almost as wilde as my JMP 2203!!!
I kept playing powerchords and solo's, this is amazing, this is POWERTUBE SATURATION as it should be!!!
I think I will never get rid of this amp because its a nice special edition with its classy white looks and sounds wonderfull in every way.
There is one thing I don't like about the amp: the weight!!! DAMN!!! This thing is heavy.
I would also like to note that this amp has options for running at different settings (triode/pentode) to run it at 15 watts, and both channels have 2 inputs (one with +6db and one normal to make it more quiet) and I must say the magic (clean or distorted) only happens when the amp is on 30 watts with the +6db inputs. It must be louder than the JMP 2203 100watt to sound good so this is the least "bedroom viable amp" I have.

Thanks for reading!

RMB
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
Last edited by RMB at Sep 17, 2012,
Thank you for your comment!

When you dial in the DSL for cleans, it will do cleans very well and warm!
The problem is when you want to go to distortion, you have to use the same EQ and that is not ideal.
Clean with overdrive is the speciality of this thing, classic marshall rock tones instantly! (head to head with a classic one it sounds a bit more modern though)
The amp has 2 channels with 2 modes:
Green channel with clean and crunch
Red channel with the choice of thin distiortion and too much flubby distortion

I did not care for the DSL50 red channel. The channels (green/red) are footswitchable, the modes unfortunately not thats why using only the green channel makes it essentially a single channel amp.

The normal mode on the red channel isn't garbage though, its okay untill you find out that the green crunch channel with a TS-9 is MUCH fuller

When you can live with 1 great channel this is an awesome amp!
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Last edited by RMB at Nov 8, 2011,
man, you ran through a bunch of cool stuff pretty quick. the '78 JMP is sweet, great mesa vertical cab. you are def in the deep end of the equipment pool.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
lol, happy seeing some "good" deals are here in the Netherlands :P

Howmuch did you pay for the mark iv, i seen some on marktplaats when i looked, also some in the neighbourhood, but never got the money for it

HNAD!
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
You know you can mod an FX loop into a 2203 pretty easily.

You can actually do a quite acceptable one with just two phono sockets.
The wiper of the Master Volume connects to the phase inverter via a 0.022uF capacitor. The MV is already decoupled from DC from the previous tube by the tone stack so all you have to do is put your loop between the MV wiper and the capacitor. So you just have to add the sockets, disconnect the MV wire and connect it to the FX return, connect the wiper to the FX send socket. You won't have a control for send/return level but it will work fine, especially if you have input/output controls on the FX units themselves.
Don't forget to hook up the phono sockets so they connect to each other when nothing is plugged in.
It's rough and ready but I've seen it work really well many times.

It's a lot easier than adding an extra tube. The power tranny can handle an extra tube but it is pushing the friendship with the heater winding. I've never actually heard of anybody blowing a heater winding by adding a tube to a 2203 but if you were going to add an extra tube it seems a waste it use it on an FX loop when you could be using it as a switchable boost channel (which is how they should have made the 2210). Especially when adding two sockets will usually do the trick fine for the FX loop.

Edit: I should add what the drawback is:
The problem with it is that the send level varies with the master volume knob. Not always a problem, depends on how you use your amp. For most gigging musos it's a fine arrangement.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 8, 2011,
Thunder250 I PMed you

Thnx for the 2203 FXloop advice, but mine is 100% in original shape and I think its blasphemy to mess with that!

When someone has a vintage amp but needs extra features he should buy another amp (hence the Mark IV ^^)
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Wouldn't be hard to mount a couple of sockets somewhere that didn't require butchery. They don't have to be in the chassis.
But hey, whatever makes you happy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've been playing guitar for 6 years and i've only had 2 amps in that time. and I still have only one guitar

Nice reviews, love the mesa mark IV.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If God didn't want people to be gay why did he put a G spot in our asses?
Last edited by strait jacket at Nov 8, 2011,
It's great when you find your tone within the first two amps you buy! For me it was/is just a trip towards my ultimate tone, which I achieve more and more by knowing more and more amps!
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
By the way Cathbard,

Do you have some kind of link which shows pictures from what you are talking about?
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Nice! The Mark IV is a killer amp, for sure. I love mine, I think the only thing that could trump the IV for me would be a V, but I don't have that sorta money to spend on an amp
Quote by RMB
By the way Cathbard,

Do you have some kind of link which shows pictures from what you are talking about?

Nah man. I just know that you can break in between MV and PI and I simply looked up the schematic to be sure of the DC coupling.
http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/2203u.gif
It's pretty straight forward; the wiper of the MV is effects send and the wire that was connected to the wiper is effects return.
You can just screw a bit of angle with the sockets on it to the cabinet and run your two wires to that if you don't want to drill the chassis. A bit of shielded pair is all you need to feed through. Iirc on a JMP there is a hole in the chassis with a blanking grommet that you can use for the job.

Normally you don't tend to change the setting of your MV if you are gigging. You work out how loud you need to be to get over the drummer at practice and that's where it stays and you let the PA sort out the FOH mix. As a result that sort of simple loop works quite well. It's only a pita if you keep moving around the MV but if it's just a gigging amp why would you be doing that?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Okay cool I will definetly check it out!
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
I updated this thread with updated opinion about Mesa Mark IV, added amp Fender Deluxe Reverb and added amp Vox AC30H2 Handwired.

Hope you like it!!!
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Quote by RMB
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage Handwired with Blue Bulldogs
It must be louder than the JMP 2203 100watt to sound good so this is the least "bedroom viable amp" I have.

no shit right?

congrats on all the gear!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Thanks guys!

And Gregs, I am serious!!! I play LOUD in my music room at home and the JMP sounds just fine then. But the VOX really lifts the "loud" playing I did in the room to a next level of LOUD! (I started to use earplugs especially for the Vox :P )
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
oh i know. i've played those.

i ordered in a "african mahogany" limited edition HW AC30 a few years ago for a customer when i worked in a store and holy balls.

30 watts my ass!

again, really nice stuff.
I like to have all my nads in one place too. That is all.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Well, go go make the thread then !!

This came to my mind: When I had the Mark IV and JMP 2203 there was a point when I also had a JCM 900 50w combo to travel with... I forgot to put it in the post and now I want to add it but here appears to be a maximum of 10.000 characters in one post

Perhaps I should have this closed and make a new one with a few reserved slots?
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Good Idea, yeah I know I should have reserved a few slots but how the hell could I have known that I need to describe my amps in more than 10.000 characters
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Last edited by RMB at Sep 17, 2012,
ya know, a simple little demo video and you don't need to describe everything in such length.
Thanks for reading guys!!

Gosam, I will add pics of most of the amps stated above soon (still have al pics which I used in the advertisements for selling it). Keep checking the thread next week

Gregs: Maybe I don't want to be embarrased by my skills ?
Nah, the reason I type is because I can describe the qualities of an amplifier so people need to use their imagination to get the sound. When the amp I described gets their attention they need to go to a shop and ACTUALLY play it!
You know that clips are not representative at att compared to the real thing due to different settings, guitars, recording quality, pedals, musical style etc etc.

One guy may love an amp with treble at 9 and the other at 2.... when the latter watches an amp video with the treble at 9 he thinks the amp sucks which is a shame.
Therefore, I can only hope my wall of text lets people actually try the amp
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
I need an AC30.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Yes, you do!!!
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
nice amps. yes i agree. vox acs have magic trolls in them that might make them some of the loudest amps made imo. the dark things just gotta be cranked too.

i could never get the brian may tone or something out if the AC at any form of acceptable, no noise violation levels
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by gumbilicious
man, you ran through a bunch of cool stuff pretty quick. the '78 JMP is sweet, great mesa vertical cab. you are def in the deep end of the equipment pool.

that is still my sentiment. damn. just damn.

you got the right AC30 for sure.

-ae
ihartfood, I can only advise to play through a lot of different amps, ideally even buying a lot of amps so you really get to know them.
If you buy secondhand and sell again, it doesn't have to cost you a cent.

Also, having some fancy gear doesn't say anything about playing skills
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
You say you've never heard or heard of Vox? Maybe without not knowing it but I'll bet my bottom dollar you have heard one. Maybe not in person as such, but definitely in songs
Yes ofcoarse, I heared the Beatles, Foo Fighters, Queen and such before.... but you really need to hear an amp in person, preferably with your own guitar and with YOU playing and tweaking it!!!

Thats what I meant, I did not hear the amp in real life.

By the way, I checked your profile. Some epic gear you've got there!!! VM + LP standard = CLASSIC
I would like to upgrade my LP studio to a standard or custom soon too.
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Last edited by RMB at Sep 18, 2012,
I emailed the guy who made the 2nd post (korinaflyingv) if he could delete it... I wait a week or so with adding my JCM 900 review and otherwise I make a new thread with reserved spots

I cut out a bit of info in this post to make it fit so thats not ideal either...

Oh well, perhaps you guys don't even care about it and I shouldn't put any effort in more experiences ?
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Quote by RMB
I emailed the guy who made the 2nd post (korinaflyingv) if he could delete it... I wait a week or so with adding my JCM 900 review and otherwise I make a new thread with reserved spots

unfortunately, that won't work, cuz it'll just bump all the posts back one. we'd all have to delete our posts.

your next option is to link a particular posts from the OP.

but yes, it does seem like quite a bit of work, most people on this forum will prefer a NAD with dual recs or 6505's.

-ae
Quote by RMB

Gregs: (1) Maybe I don't want to be embarrased by my skills ?
(2) Nah, the reason I type is because I can describe the qualities of an amplifier so people need to use their imagination to get the sound. When the amp I described gets their attention they need to go to a shop and ACTUALLY play it!

1 - yeah i'm fairly certain that's bullshit.

2 - good point, what a lot of people really need to do IS go out and try these amps.

but clips are good too just so we can hear them briefly and so on. we all know that youtube clips aren't the best representation of the gear available but it's something.
Quote by gumbilicious
unfortunately, that won't work, cuz it'll just bump all the posts back one. we'd all have to delete our posts.

your next option is to link a particular posts from the OP.

but yes, it does seem like quite a bit of work

I think RMB was just looking for 2 contiguous posts, not to take Post #2 for himself. He already has Post #3. My suggestion was just to start putting new stuff in Post #3 and forget about korinaflyingy.

Quote by Ippon
Nice haul. Congrats!

Not really a haul as it was done over time

Quote by RMB

I cut out a bit of info in this post to make it fit so thats not ideal either...

Oh well, perhaps you guys don't even care about it and I shouldn't put any effort in more experiences ?

Too bad we don't have something like this any longer

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1155486

but honestly......most of us here like the separate NADs anyway. Less confusing and less congested
Perhaps Its best that I make a blog with a complete summary like this of my NADs and edit the new ones in, and make a seperate NAD thread when I have a new amp with a link in it to the blog
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Blogs are good. I like blogs.

And all I was saying earlier was I'd rather view 6 different NADs over time vs one big one. NADs are fun. When they are lumped together like this here it is hard to tell what is new for you etc.

So people will just say...."Wow, what a haul"

but hey, it is a public place.....do as you wish
Page 1 of 2