When I was learning, I learnt to muddle my way through dozens of things before I could play anything poorly. I learnt to play about 100 things poorly before I learnt to play anything well. That was an inefficient way to learn, and I could do it better if I had to do it over.

I say that with some confidence, but the temptation of trying new things on a daily basis is still with me. I have more than a gigabyte of downloaded tabs, years worth of guitar magazines and more books than I've bothered to count -- all way more than I could ever actually read. But I've read way more than I could ever actually learn.

This is probably why playing with other people has been useful to me. The band I practise with doesn't want to learn a new song every week. I reached the point where I thought we were good enough to gig about 6 months ago. But we are still rehearsing the same set list. This is good for me. I have gotten better. I wouldn't have on my own.

I still waste time looking at things I won't put the required effort into or things which are so easy I sight read them once or twice and then move on. It can be fun, but it doesn't really make me a better player.

So I want to fill up that time with more productive practising.

I want to interact with more musicians. It seems the only environment in which I can be a better student. I'm not sure how this can be done on an internet forum. And I probably will join a second band, but I thought I'd post and ask for ideas.

One thing that occured to me was a recording project, or at least an online commitment to provide proof I've improved on a particular piece over the course of a month.

Not sure if this the right sub-forum, either.
I play bass/electric guitar/acoustic and classical. I thought "hey they're all guitars" so put it in the techniques forum. But maybe the Musician Talk subforum would be better.

Anyway, ...any ideas?
Quote by QPC_Sam
But I've read way more than I could ever actually learn.

No you haven't.

Anyway, first thing I would suggest doing: write your own stuff. Nothing is more challenging than writing your own music.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No you haven't.

Well, I guess that's a compliment!

Anyway, first thing I would suggest doing: write your own stuff. Nothing is more challenging than writing your own music.

Yes, I've done some of that.
What I'm looking for here is something to improve productivity.

I can do the work, but I tend to be more motivated when working with other people.

I'm looking for a second band to play in but I thought I'd look for online options, too.
Quote by QPC_Sam
Yes, I've done some of that.
What I'm looking for here is something to improve productivity.

I can do the work, but I tend to be more motivated when working with other people.

I'm looking for a second band to play in but I thought I'd look for online options, too.

You're not going to find anything to motivate you here other than people shouting at you to suck it up and do the work. This isn't something that someone else can do for you at all, if you can't find a way to do it on your own then we can't help at all.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
A lack of effort will give you a lack of results.
Play man! just play!
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.