Page 1 of 3
I am in my exam year of high school, and doing an ancient latin course (i.e. roman era). I know I cant be the only one on here that studies ancient latin language. So I was thinking that this thread could be for grammatical help regarding translating latin texts, seeing as I figured it might help me for my exams if I could help others.
If there is no one, I will just go back to fetal position and keep on clamore.

So; does anyone else study ancient latin?

Edit: if you want to receive/give regular help regarding ancient latin, you should probably stick this thread.
Last edited by vagelier at Nov 8, 2011,
Yes. GTFO.

naah JK It's hard as hell but it's actually pretty interesting, makes you feel intellectual too

But i'm Italian so logically i should be better than you puny anglosaxon wannabes
Actual neat idea for a thread. Props for originality man.

Buuuut, expect a shit ton of people asking latin translations for tattoos.
Quote by Basti95
(...)you puny anglosaxon wannabes

This. I like.

In my country we call them stiff tongues, red coats, lock jaws and most commonly squareheads.

All jokes aside though, knowing a latin-esque language can definitely help. I speak french and when I'm reading italian or spanish i can usually get the jyst of it, and that's without any actual experience in the language. Same with latin. Although you always run across a few random words that just can't be unpuzzled.
I did two years of Latin in high school. Took the regents a year early. But I've forgotten nearly everything now, except first declension singular.

puella
puellae
puellae
puellam
puella (little line over the a)

I will get back to studying it someday, when I have spare time.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
I did two years of Latin in high school. Took the regents a year early. But I've forgotten nearly everything now, except first declension singular.

puella
puellae
puellae
puellam
puella (little line over the a)

I will get back to studying it someday, when I have spare time.

puellae
puellarum
puellis
puellas
puellis

I know most declensions by heart
is 'ancient latin' different from latin? (i've never heard that term before)

but yeah, i think learning latin would be cool. i speak spanish and french already so i sometimes understand a bit of the stuff my law-student roomate has to read.
Calling it 'Ancient' Latin is redundant.

I studied it for two years when I was 11-12, it was a waste of time, studied my other subjects instead, passed latin but didn't care. Why are you studying it?
Is thema est atrox.

Quote by Mazzakazza

I studied it for two years when I was 11-12, it was a waste of time, studied my other subjects instead, passed latin but didn't care. Why are you studying it?

Praeclarus fabula frater.
What is this that stands before me?

Figure in black that points at me...

FUCKETH THINE SELF
Quote by Mazzakazza

The Classical Latin of Ancient Rome is different from the Church Latin of the Middle Ages. So there.
Quote by neidnarb11890
The Classical Latin of Ancient Rome is different from the Church Latin of the Middle Ages. So there.

Major domus rectus.
What is this that stands before me?

Figure in black that points at me...

FUCKETH THINE SELF
Veni, Vidi, Vacate
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
My teacher in High school sang a catchy song to remember the second decelnsion. I'll try to space it out according to how it should be sung....

well, I got the second declension bluessss
from my head dowwwwn to my shoes
Yeah, the second declension blueees
from my head, all the way to my shoes

It goes-us, i
o, um o
i, orum, is, os, is

dun dun dun...yeaaah, dun dun dun.

Yeah, the second declension bluessss and they go

Us..I...
o, um, o....
i, orum, is, os, is.

Idk if this made any sense, but the song still stuck with me today so he did a good job.
I took a semester of Latin when I was at university. I learned nothing, and still managed to get a B for the course.
Caecillius est in via.

That's about all I remember from my 2 years of Latin from high school

(Caecillius is in the street)
(lol)
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
I took a Medieval Latin module at university and was top of my class, but I am in no way fluent. It was mainly focussed on translation of charters, writs, wills et cetera for the purpose of historical research, so most of what I can remember is to do with the giving of lands and money. What was useful was learning how basic Latin grammar works, so I can translate most things given a dictionary, a grammar and time.

Preferably a large dictionary with the many words that were added to Classical Latin by the time it evolved into Medieval Latin, as mine does not...
Salve Omnes!

Yeah... I am taking Latin right now in High-School, but I'm not too good.
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
The nice thing about learning Latin is it makes learning any other language after really easy. Since Latin has such complex but well-defined grammar, you'll learn about every type of grammatical instance that many languages don't even have. I'm learning Akkadian now, which is an ancient Semitic language, and I have to say that learning Latin grammar made learning this much easier.
My senior year, we translated the Aeneid. Fun, fun times.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
I'm currently taking both Ancient Latin and Homeric Greek in high school, however I'm pretty mediocre at both.
Originally Posted by strat0blaster
No matter what you like, you will like Meshuggah.

FREE GUITAR STRINGS!
/bump. just wanted to put it out there that if anybody needed help with anything, I'd be glad to give a hand. it'd be great practice for me anyways
Ceacillius est in horto
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
I do Classical Studies in school and my teacher speaks fluent-ish Latin. But the only thing I know is that hippopotamus means river horse.
Quote by Mazzakazza

Latin, like any other language, including your own, changed over the period of time that it was widely used, it also varied depending upon who was using it, for instance in the same way that the Queen's English is often quite different from the more common everyday English which contains lots of slang, so Latin itself is seperated into different forms of Latin, cheifly depending upon the era that it is from but also depending to a certain extent on the class of the person who used it.
This gives us Archaic (or ancient) Latin, Classical Latin, Vulgar Latin, Medieval Latin and Renaissance Latin.

Vulgar Latin was the language of the commoner and is known to have existed alongside Classical Latin, which was the form of Latin that had developed from the late Roman republic to the early to middle Roman empire (from about 100 BC to about 200 AD) which was used by poets and historians, 'literate' men, who wrote the great Roman works of classical literature, hence the term 'Classical Latin'
Ancient Greek (koine) yes, Latin no. Though my cousin is a Latin master and works in the library of a monastery, so work hard and you too may have such a career opportunity ;-)
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Latin, like any other language, including your own, changed over the period of time that it was widely used, it also varied depending upon who was using it, for instance in the same way that the Queen's English is often quite different from the more common everyday English which contains lots of slang, so Latin itself is seperated into different forms of Latin, cheifly depending upon the era that it is from but also depending to a certain extent on the class of the person who used it.
This gives us Archaic (or ancient) Latin, Classical Latin, Vulgar Latin, Medieval Latin and Renaissance Latin.

Vulgar Latin was the language of the commoner and is known to have existed alongside Classical Latin, which was the form of Latin that had developed from the late Roman republic to the early to middle Roman empire (from about 100 BC to about 200 AD) which was used by poets and historians, 'literate' men, who wrote the great Roman works of classical literature, hence the term 'Classical Latin'

This. I mainly put it like that in the OP because I didn't want people to get confused by modern "latin" languages (latin influenced spanish) or the kind of latin they use in church nowadays.
Page 1 of 3