Alright, here's the deal, I have a Line 6 Spider IV 30 and am fairly happy with it as a practise amp, but the tone i really want is in the field of Killswitch Engage, Parkway Drive, etc... I don't have a large budget, so I was intending to buy the Peavey 6505+ 112 combo. I also intend to play with a band, so I researched on the loudness of the amp (it's my 1st tube amp so..)
Anyway, some people said 60w is enough, however, I'm concerned with the 1x12 speaker, will it be loud enough without sounding like crap? I read some stuff that said it hardly keeps up with a half-stack.... My other band mate has a 6505 head with a 4x12 cab, and I'm the lead guitar so I don't wanna be drown out
Some reviews say it's not loud enough, others say it can be too loud, I'm confused! Will someone please enlighten me?
That amp should be more than loud enough. A 4X12 won't be THAT much louder than a 1X12 combo. Like, you may not even notice a difference in volume, it'll just sound a little different... fuller.

You can also get an extension cab later if you find that the 1X12 just isn't cutting it.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
That amp should be more than loud enough. A 4X12 won't be THAT much louder than a 1X12 combo. Like, you may not even notice a difference in volume, it'll just sound a little different... fuller.

You can also get an extension cab later if you find that the 1X12 just isn't cutting it.

+1

The 6505 is notoriously loud, actually. As mentioned above, simply drop a 1x12 under the combo if you feel you need extra oomph, but I would be suprised if you did.
Alright, thanks for clearing that up... Im only scared because I played my friend's valveking 1x12 combo and I was almost drown out by the band, even with the thing on 10 ....... Maybe it was just in bad condition ....
mids my friend... mids. If you're playing a 6505 and can't be heard on 10, then your EQ is set completely wrong.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Oh no no, I didn't play a 6505 on 10, I played a valveking on 10 and tried all different combinations of eq u can possibly imagine, but the drums and my friend's half stack completely drown me -...- not to mention the cleans sounded like ****, sounded more like a bad quality overdrive. I certainly hope the 6505 combo doesn't behave like that ....
The 6505+ combo is not all that great. If you really want that sound, get a 5150 2x12 combo used and you'll be much happier.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I thought the tone was practically the same? I'm not very picky with the tone, as long as it sounds good I don't mind. I'm just tired of this line 6 modelling crap. My concern is not the tone, as i said before, it's the efficiency of a 1x12 speaker.... As for the 5150, I'd rather not get used gear, I prefer spending more $$ but knowing that I'm buying something in good condition.
The 6505 combos aren't made quite as well AFAIK. Also they are 60w so they have less headroom than the 5150 combo.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Have you thought about a Jet City JCA 50h and a 4x12 cab? really good amps.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ They really are. The clean channel is much better too IMO.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by Robbgnarly
The 6505+ combo is not all that great. If you really want that sound, get a 5150 2x12 combo used and you'll be much happier.

This.

Also, a 6505 halfstack will absolutely dominate a 6505+ combo. 3 more speakers, as well as twice as many watts... that's a no brainer.

Try saving up for a 5150 head and a cheap cab, or the combo. Just be careful about the combo. I own one, and I absolutely hate it. It's a behemoth, and hurts my back to move. 96 pounds, without any side handles, just a single top handle. It was designed extremely poorly.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well, the only advantage i see in getting the 5150 combo rather than the 6505 is the extra speaker, because it's 60w aswell, however, those things are sold around with like 10 years of use :/ i could just buy the 6505 and use it for a while, then get a 4x12 cab later when i get more money, like jpatan said?
About the Jet City, I believe they are good amps, however, not quite the tone i want... Besides, it's 50w anyway (at least the one i saw).
The 5150 2x12 combo is 120w isn't it?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
The 5150 combo is 60W. It only has 2 power tubes.

Also, please, please believe me when I tell you that the 6505+ combo is a POS compared to the 5150. It's constructed poorly, uses cheap components, and just sounds weak and thin next to one. I know because I compared them extensively before finally deciding on a 5150. The 5150 is MIA (as opposed to the 6505+ being MIC), and it's an absolute tank.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ah ok. I thought I saw a combo awhile back on Clist that was 120w. Guy must have made a mistake or something. My bad for not checking just figured it was legit . Anyway, 60w could not have the headroom you want for metal at gigging volumes. I would definenly go for the head if you can afford it.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
ya know, i didn't realize the 6505 combo was only 60w. But as lng as your drummer isn't killing his kit, it should still be able to keep up. My 65w renegade can hang with a drummer no problem. Though it's a 212 combo.

I'd take the advice from the peeps suggesting the 5150 though. you can probably score one used pretty cheap, and it would be way better.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Quote by Macau
About the Jet City, I believe they are good amps, however, not quite the tone i want... Besides, it's 50w anyway (at least the one i saw).

actually if you want to get technical, the JCA is bassed on the Soldano HR Avenger, which is bassed on the lead ch of the SLO 100. Now the 5150/6505 amps were Peaveys take on a clone of a SLO 100 for EVH.

AND 60 watts of tube power will be almost as loud as a 120 watt tube head (there will only be a 3 db diffrence in "loudness". you will really only notice a diffrence on the clean ch.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 8, 2011,
The 212 6505 combos are better constructed than the 6505+ 1x12. But like people have said, the 212 is pretty heavy and awkward to move. If you already have one guitarist with a 6505, are you sure you want to have the exact same tone? The Jet CIty of Carvin v3m might mix in very well with your bandmate's 6505.

And yeah, the 6505 head + 4x12 cab will be louder when cranked over a 1x12 50/60 combo. But you're talking volume above what you'll probably ever need. You'll be mic'd at a gig before you reach those levels. If not, your drummer will need to be the hulk playing on dumpsters
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Offworld92
The 5150 combo is 60W. It only has 2 power tubes.

Also, please, please believe me when I tell you that the 6505+ combo is a POS compared to the 5150. It's constructed poorly, uses cheap components, and just sounds weak and thin next to one. I know because I compared them extensively before finally deciding on a 5150. The 5150 is MIA (as opposed to the 6505+ being MIC), and it's an absolute tank.

Wait?
I was certain that the 5150 and 6505 are the same.

The 6505 1*12 IS inferior though. That's true.

TS; Get the 6505 2*12 combo if you have to go new. It's the same as the 5150 combo they are talking about.
Or get a 6505+/5150 II head if you want the dedicated eq/slightly different sound it offers.

muledit: 50w tube is more than enough for most gigs. Besides, you can always mic up to a pa. The only thing is clean headroom; but 50w should still stay pretty damn clean at gigging volumes
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Nov 8, 2011,
Quote by mulefish
Wait?
I was certain that the 5150 and 6505 are the same.

The 6505 1*12 IS inferior though. That's true.

TS; Get the 6505 2*12 combo if you have to go new. It's the same as the 5150 combo they are talking about.
Or get a 6505+/5150 II head if you want the dedicated eq/slightly different sound it offers.

Well you have to look more closely at the models. The 1x12 combo (MiC) is a 6505+, but you are correct on the 2x12 combos: the 6505 212 and 5150 212 are pretty much the same (MIA).
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Yep, I was only comparing the 5150 212 to the 6505+ 112. Different amps.

I want to add to this discussion that while it doesn't matter when you're mic'd up at a gig, a 6505 half stack is going to cut through like butter unmic'd, while a little 1x12 combo will struggle in that mix. Size doesn't matter when you're mic'd up, but it does matter at band practice, unless you have a PA. But that'd be kind of ridiculous.

EDIT: And the volume difference isn't the issue. We all know that 60W tube is more than enough to deafen a person. The issue here is sound dispersion. A halfstack will in every situation pertaining to modern metal completely overwhelm a 1x12 combo, regardless of the fact there there's only a 3db difference between the head and the combo.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 8, 2011,