Recently, I have been offered the part of lead guitar in my High School's Jazz Band. You can imagine my excitement . Anyways , I've had my Squier Strat pack guitar and amp ever since i started playing back in Summer '10. It's likely I'll be getting a Vox AC4TV Stack, or some other practice/small tube amp for Christmas since I will likely be in another musical group in the near future with some of my musical friends. (I also have a Digitech RP90 pedal). My mom wouldn't let me get anymore gear until I had proven i was dedicated to playing guitar. I was upset by it at first, but now I understand, because many of my friends have converted from guitar life to being an aspiring rap star in a year. I told her that I was thinking about getting a new guitar near my birthday (June), and knowing that I was dedicated, she said "We can look into it" I was hype! Soon after I started searching guitars not too expensive yet not too much like me Squier Special Pack Strat. The first company that came to mind is a Fender - Preferably a strat, because of their Sweet Cleans for Jazz and Soul, and their not too harsh ovedrive. I searched, I found a few that had good descriptions. The Fender Deluxe Player's, The FSR, The Classic Players, the Standard MIMs etc.
Any ideas? Am I going to fast?
Quote by Ghold125
What's your budget?

M budget would preferebly be up to $600, AT MOST, $700
Quote by sootslayer
How about a hagstrom viking or a hagstrom viking IIP?

I don't know, what would you say would make a difference between a Semi-Hollow Guitar, and a Solid-body guitar?
^If you don't know the difference between the two, you should try out a semi-hollow. It would defiantly effect what guitar you should get. I would suggest and Epiphone Sheraton 2 if you prefer a semi-hollow. They are great guitars for jazz playing.
although i'm a die hard strat fan it really isn't the first thing that comes to mind for jazz. i'd look at some of the Ibanez artcore series guitars. if you feel that you want to stick to a strat then a MIM is a good choice.
I don't know, what would you say would make a difference between a Semi-Hollow Guitar, and a Solid-body guitar?

Tone and feel.
I really like hagstrom, they make great guitars.
Definitely stop by your local music store and try a decent hollowbody compared to a strat.

I love strats, but for jazz, I prefer something hollow with humbuckers.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Ghold125
^If you don't know the difference between the two, you should try out a semi-hollow. It would defiantly effect what guitar you should get. I would suggest and Epiphone Sheraton 2 if you prefer a semi-hollow. They are great guitars for jazz playing.

How do hollow bodies cope with other genres of music? Outside of Jazz Band, I would probably be playing Blues-Rock, Soul, Clean Rock (John Mayer, Hendrix, Dire Straits-Sultans of Swing), Classic Rock, Indie-Modern Rock, pretty much everything but Heavy Metal and Mainstream Modern Rock.
A good hollowbody will be fine for the majority of that, except for those situations where you specifically desire the strat sound.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Then an es-335 type would be perfect (with a wooden block in the core, not completely hollow). I think almost all famous rock, blues, soul and indie players have at least one hollowbody in their arsenal.
It really depends, I have never played a hollowbody with large amounts of gain on it, but with a good crunch it can sound pretty good. You might want to check out an SG also, they have a very dark tone, with a tone of low end. Makes a good combo for a jazz tone. The again it all really depends on what you like because SG's do tend to sound a little muddy.
Quote by Herpman97
How do hollow bodies cope with other genres of music? Outside of Jazz Band, I would probably be playing Blues-Rock, Soul, Clean Rock (John Mayer, Hendrix, Dire Straits-Sultans of Swing), Classic Rock, Indie-Modern Rock, pretty much everything but Heavy Metal and Mainstream Modern Rock.

well you didn't really mention the rest of that stuff. obviously for hendrix, mayer and dire straits you need a strat. a strat also works well for the other stuff you mentioned. if that is where you are heading playing wise then yeah stick with a strat. there are a few guys in jazz that use them so it's not unheard of just not ideal.
Maybe try finding a Strat with a humbucker in the neck. That way you could get a good, thick jazz tone with that while still keeping the strat character of the bridge and middle single coils. Unfortunately I can't think of a production model that's SSH off the top of my head...

Otherwise, I'd say go with an Epi Sheraton or one of the Ibanez Artcores.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
I'll definately look into a semi-hollow guitar next time I and my mom have a chance of going to Guitar Center. Does anyone recommened anything else?
I actually manage to get a pretty solid jazz tone out of my '72 Telecaster Deluxe. I think your best bet would be to get a guitar that has coil-tap humbuckers. The 'buckers are very good for jazz. Very easy to get a nice smooth tone out of them, and the coil tap will let you get a more single-coil tone out of the guitar, which is, IMO, where most of the Strat sound comes from.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray

P-90's for bite, Hollow body for mellow, and it's quite sexy too...

Epiphone P93 Riviera LTD Edition... $499.00 All day
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Eh, if you're going to count on coil taps, you at least need to try it first. I don't really like them that much.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
I'm gonna gues that coil taps are when there's a pull/push switch on a guitar with humbuckers??? And whats the tonal difference between the two pickup combination on a SSS strat and a normal single humbucker? Thanks in advance.
You do not need coil taps for jazz, at all, unless you get a super-strat and you'd be stupid if you did. IMHO, a semi-hollow (Artcore, Sheraton, DOT [only if you must. I've had bad experiences], Viking [if you have the money] would all be good. All have humbuckers. P-90's might be better for a semi-hollow, but not a big deal.

Although a guitar can play anything, it all depends on the amp to get the sound you want. A Strat and a Vox AC30 (maybe?) and you'd most likely be good to go. As far as other solid bodies? Tele's would work, same with a Les Paul.

Bottom line: Go to your local guitar store. Try and find an amp similar to the one you want to get. Play any guitar you can. If you like the feel of an Ibanez super strat, and you can get a good jazz tone out of it, go for it, do what works.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame