Sorry for the long story in advance....

Two weeks ago I took my 2006 Gibson LP Studio Smartwood in to a local shop to have the 3-way switch repaired (treble was cutting out). I purchased it new in Feb.of this year so its still under warranty. I know, I could have replaced it myself but I figured, let them deal with it. Mind you, it was prestine... no dings dents or scratches. They took custody of it and said they were going to send it up to their sister store that had a good tech and have it back within a week or two. So after 11 days I wondered what was up. I call and they say it has not been fixed. Matter of fact it never left the store. It wasn't sent out because the shop wasn't Gibson Authorized to do warranty work, but they could change out the switch and the warranty would still be valid (according to Gibson). They were going to fix the switch themselves but never called me nor did they do the replacement. They did spray the switch with cleaner and it now works. I'm told to come pick it up until the switch comes in. I get there, the salesman is playing the guitar, flipping the toggle back and forth repeatedly. I tell him to put it in the case. The manager comes over, apologizes for the delay and tells me they ordered the switch and they will call when it's in. He can't explain the 11 day delay. I'm pissed, I take my LP and and leave. I get home and take it out only to find it's been damaged. Missing lacquer and dents on side, lower bout, near the access panel and two other dings on the back. (Mind you, I've only played it about a dozen times and at no time did I put a mark on it.) I call the shop and bring it back. I show the manager and he doesn't know what happened. He and the staff know me as a good customer for many years, so they know I'm not passing the buck. They take some photos and tell me they will get it repaired and will call me when they know who will get the job.

I get a phone call yesterday from the manager. They have decided that any repairs to the damage will not result in a satisfactory finish. They have offered the following:

a. A full refund

b. Exchange for another 2006 Gibson Studio Smartwood

c. Exchange for another guitar of equal value

My wife suggested I offer a 4th option (which I will present to them tonight)...

d. Keep the guitar and have them write me a check for the estimated repair cost.

I like the way this guitar feels, plays and sounds. I'm not happy with the idea of giving it up unless the replacement is equal or superior in looks, feel, and tone (not cost). It has to speak to me like this one did.

What would you do?
Your opinions are appreciated.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Last edited by Auriemma at Nov 8, 2011,
Wow man, that really sucks, sounds like pretty poor customer service.
Of those four options, I'd either go for the full refund or keep the guitar and get the repair cost.
With a full refund you could well be able to find another guitar that speaks to you like the les paul does, and you're not pinned down to that particular model, or even that particular store.
However, if you really like the guitar, then it may well be worth getting it repaired, but I'm no expert on guitar repairs so I don't know how well it would be repaired.
well I know you like the guitar but seems like it may be...cursed. So why not first go to the store and try out some others to see if you can't find another you like and then present them with your suggested option?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
i'd be looking for more than a oops we're sorry from them. you were left hanging for 11 days still didn't have a fixed a guitar and it was damaged on top of that. ending up with what you started with (a guitar in new condition) wouldn't cut it with me. i'd be askiing what thye are going to do for you for your trouble and to make things right with you.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I have a certain attachment to many of my guitars and baby all of them whether cheap or valuable.

I once found myself in a simular situation, some years ago I took my vintage Larson Brothers in to a small local area guitar shop to have a fret replaced, needless to say I got a call from them saying they had an accident on the workbench and ended up causing a 4" gouge across the top.

Since the guitar was virtually irreplacable they paid for the repair which was sent to a top luthier in Chicago. If I look closely enough in the right light I notice it and I'll aways be aware thats it there but that was my only option,

I have a feeling that if the dents are deep enough then the repair costs are going to be more than the value of the guitar so you might be better off trying lots of others until you find another.

What I have learned is that if I can I will repair it myself, if not and it is one of my more valuable accoustics then I will send it to a reputable luthier.

Good luck with whatever choice you decide on.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Well, how bad are the dents? If it's not too bad and you can live with it, I'd take the money that it would cost to repair it. If it's pretty bad, you may want to take the full refund or another 2006 Gibson Studio Smartwood. And take yore time with this decision. Think this one out.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
Well... I went to the shop last night. They had 2 more Smartwoods. Neither is near equal to the one I have (visually or tone wise). They 3 had other Studios and 3 Robots around the same price point, but none of them came close. Everything else was either way under or way over the price point. They never did get a quote on the repair. They were told it would be expensive and take a up to 3 months. They were receptive of a check for the repair cost. I had them get a quote using the pics I took anyway. They want me to visit their other store this weekend and see what they have.

They did have a ES-339 Custom Shop that I had played before and liked, but its SALE price is $2500, $500 over the street price everywhere else.

I am seriously considering a full refund and walking away. But why should I... I like this guitar!
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
Last edited by Auriemma at Nov 9, 2011,
i know you like this guitar alot. but i would get a full refund and be done with this store never deal with them again... and get a new guitar some place else that will respect its customers and there guitars... its cheaper for them for you to just pick another guitar then refund you. so i would take the refund so it hurts there pocket, just my thought and how i would handle this...
Guitars: IBANEZ RGA42FM
Strings: Elixir Nanoweb 9-42
AMP'S: Peavey Vyper
Effects: Zoom G3
to answer your question, "what would I do?"

i'd get some cash from the store for the damage and not bring my guitar back to them.

that's what I would do.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
take option E. small claims court.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
Might not be what ya wanna hear; but....

You luv the guitar and would have a difficult time finding one, in any price range, that suits...right? Or is it more a question of having a perfect guitar? Yes... the fugked up. Yes, they owe you repairs/replacement/remuneration of some sort.. and YES.. you *should* hold their feet to the fire for any/all of the above!

IMNSHO...Have the shop compensate you for damages and skate!

You will eventually have yer own "bad day" and then those dings will match Dings on the back and lower bout edge do not equate to broken, cracked or flat-out busted. The damage described seems to have absolutely no effect on tone or playability.

Think of it as "battle scars" and move on. Lesson learned and all that.
Wow... that sucks. I guess any way you look at it it's probably a lose-lose situation. You either end up with a new guitar that you don't like as much, or you'll be staring at a set of dents and dings that some moron in a bad shop caused.

If you can find a new replacement that you like as much then I would go that route. But if not that's a tough call. If it were me I'd probably soak them for every dime they're willing to give you and go spend that money in a different store.

Or maybe you could negotiate a "free strings and guitar maintenance for life" deal since they f'd up so bad. Although you might not want to keep bringing your stuff back to them...
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
FULL REFUND!

then go to another store, and tell all your buddies about the experience...

Guitars aren't kids... You'll be able to find another one that speaks to you and feels good... and one that some stoned ass punk didn't take on the road with him for 11 days...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Full refund and look for a replacement you like as much if not more. It would be different if you'd done the damage yourself. It would always bug me, plus the value just dropped even after a repair.
Quote by Monster212
i know you like this guitar alot. but i would get a full refund and be done with this store never deal with them again... and get a new guitar some place else that will respect its customers and there guitars... its cheaper for them for you to just pick another guitar then refund you. so i would take the refund so it hurts there pocket, just my thought and how i would handle this...

Any of the three options offered by the store can still be profitable to them. I highly doubt that they'll go for your option 4, though in reality, this would be the correct thing to do on your behalf.

What leads me to agree with ceasing to deal with them is the 11-day ordeal. I had a similar situation once - needing a 3-way switch replaced, while it was there, I wanted a set-up and strings. They had my rig for way more than 11 days and when I finally went to pick it up, the set=up had not been performed. I paid for the repair only and quit doing business with them.
Thanks for all the advice and opinions.

Well... the ordel is over. After getting the Smartwood looked at by several reputable repair shops I got these responses:

1. Would have to refin the entire body - $400 min. (not Gibson Authorized Shop)
2. Have them sent it back to Gibson for repair - no quote
3. Would need a complete refin - no quote

The shop found a luthier who said he would do it, but they felt his quote was too low. The questioned him, he never replied.

So, after much thought (most of it pissing me off) I decided to return it and look elsewhere... and never return.

I went to my local GC and there was a LP Studio Deluxe (60's) that wasn't there last week.. Antique burst, trap fret markers, zebra pups, split coils. Played her for a while, looked around some more and saw nothing that visually caught my eye. Played her some more. Got the Black Friday price and brought her home... and played her some more. (Pics and review to come in another thread when I get a chance). Let's hope this one sticks.
--- Joe ---
congrats on the new studio deluxe.

post some pics when you can.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.