Page 1 of 5
If you haven't heard, i'll summarize:

This guy

allegedly molested 8 young boys over a 15 year period. He retired from coaching in 1999, but retained access to the workout facilities and such.

This guy

testified to walked in on a ten-year-old boy being subjected to anal intercourse by the other guy, in 2002. Jealousy as evidenced by the above stance overtook him, so he evidently reported this to

this guy

who is regarded as one of the greatest college football coaches to ever live. He in turn told the athletic director and some other guy about the incident, perhaps in hopes that they would report it to the police and what not.

The incident never was reported by the two men. Instead they just made a deal that he couldn't bring little boys with him to the ficilities. So now the molestor is in deep shit obviously, as are the two guys (AD and other guy) who didn't report the incident to the police.

Feel free to discuss this if you'd like. But what I want to know is this: Should the man who initially saw and reported the rape to the head coach be guilty as well for not reporting the incident to the police first hand? Also, should the head coach be guilty for not reporting the incident to the police first hand? Note that by guilty I mean "feel as bad" rather than legally guilty, because I don't know if legally they can be counted guilty (maybe they can). So how guilty are the coach and assistant compared to the other people?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Penn state wrestling ftw David Taylor is taking the NCAA title. Go Nittany Lions!!!

I'm sorry, what was this thread about?
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
They can be charged if they lied while under oath or if they obstructed justice (i.e. lying to a police officer during an investigation, withholding information).

I heard they are FINALLY getting rid of Joe Pa. The whole situation is ridiculous and disgusting. All the higher ups at Penn State wanted to protect the reputation of the college, so they covered it up and possibly continued to let this happen.

I think they should completely clean house and start over. Basically the only thing that can save their football program.
Everyone involved with the situation needs to go, period. McQueary saw it happen with his own eyes and didn't report it to the police. That's a major problem. He should feel a ton of guilt over this.

Paterno did what he was required to do, and since it was all hear-say to him, I can understand why he didn't go straight to the police. Still, if somebody brings something like this to you, it should receive a lot more attention than just telling your superiors about it and then never speaking of it again.

Schultz and Curley should feel like absolute pieces of s***. They were REQUIRED to go to the police, and they still didn't. Spanier should feel like a piece of s*** too.
I think Joey Pants needs to resign because of this. Although he did what he was legally required to do, when nothing came from reporting it to the AD he should have handled it himself. So should everybody that knew about it and never told the police.

Apparently they covered it up in order to protect the reputation of the school. But because they covered it up they wound up looking way worse. It's a disgusting story and gets more disgusting with each new detail. I'm a huge sports fan, but it's insane to think that anybody would place sports/reputation over the safety of a child.

It's unfortunate that one of the greatest college coaches has to end his career like this, but it has to end.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
I'm a huge sports fan, but it's insane to think that anybody would place sports/reputation over the safety of a child.

With the way that colleges handle their football programs, I'm not surprised in the least.

These are shitty, shitty people.
Quote by blake1221
With the way that colleges handle their football programs, I'm not surprised in the least.

These are shitty, shitty people.
The thing about Penn State is that they've always been seen as nothing but classy. I've never been a fan because Pants and Bobby Bowden were back and forth for the all time wins title. But I always respected them as a good organization.

This shits all over that.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
In general though, colleges put a vast amount of focus and money towards their football programs because of the obvious cash inflow. I'm not even saying anything against Penn State in general, it's just that most teams at their level might/probably would have done the same.

It's scary and really, really sad that they let this happen, and didn't see that the full extent of the law was carried out. And I was just watching the NFL network at a restaurant, apparently there are at least 9 different boys with 40 different charges.
Guess those boys'll make some fine football coaches in the future.

/andsothecyclecontinues
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Nooo Joe can't go. He just can't
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7207730/penn-state-nittany-lions-call-joe-paterno-news-conference

I really dont like Penn State but I have always liked and respected Paterno. So far he is in the clear, but if it comes out in the future that he knew anything more and didn't report it, he deserves to be charged as well. He is gonna be gone, the board of trustees are going to clean house after this. I have heard of many college football scandals but this is bizarre, disgusting, and simply stunning even for non fans.
I don't care about college sports so I don't know who these people are. They sound like dirtbags. What kind of person walks in on or finds out about a kiddy rape and doesn't immediately contact the police?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
I don't care about college sports so I don't know who these people are. They sound like dirtbags. What kind of person walks in on or finds out about a kiddy rape and doesn't immediately contact the police?

PA state law says:
"that person shall immediately notify the person in charge of the institution, school, facility or agency or the designated agent of the person in charge. Upon notification, the person in charge or the designated agent, if any, shall assume the responsibility and have the legal obligation to report or cause a report to be made in accordance with section 6313"

The law is written this way to prevent a boy who cries wolf sort of situations and false slanderous reports of child abuse. It is up to the person in charge's discretion to decide if a child abuse claim is serious enough to investigate.

Joe Pa did what he was supposed to and handled it the way the government wanted it to be handled. It was the AD, VP, and Graham Spanier who ****ed up. I think Joe Pa should resign at the end of the season, but spanier needs to step down now.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Follow me on the tweet machine. I tweet about interesting things like the weather and what I ate for breakfast.
Last edited by iplayat11 at Nov 8, 2011,
I go to Penn State University Park and everyone is all raging and up in arms, its really quite ridiculous. People act as if colleges aren't known for bs'ing their way through scandals and cover ups. Almost everyone one of my friends on facebook has a huge status about how Spanier and the others think theyre above the law and whatnot. WELL DUH! THIS IS THE UNITED STATES, WE SET A PRECEDENCE GOING BACK HUNDREDS OF YEARS THAT MONEY AND INFLUENCE PUT YOU OUTSIDE THE CONFINES OF THE LAW. This should surprise no one, and even in regards to rape in the state of Pennsylvania one cannot give sexual consent while under the influence of alcohol and by that law I would honestly say that at least 1/3 of students at penn state have been raped/raped a person, its hardly a big deal round these parts.
Currently Playing:
Arma 2/3, Dayz, GW2, GTA, Splinter Cell, ESO, FF:X, Pokemon X
Looks like somebody's going to the state pen.

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I don't wish for the judge to throw the book at this guy.

I wish for the judge to shove it up his ass without lube.
Quote by iplayat11
Former Penn State DT Matt Millen on sports center regarding this issue.

Joe Pa legally is not guilty of anything ... but moral guilt and legal guilt are two completely different things

Matt Millen's opinion on anything is useless.

Time for Joe Pa to go.
Disappointed PSU alumn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Some Penn State students I know are posting on facebook about how it's so sad that they're losing such a legend of a man.

How can anyone say something like that after finding out that he was futt bucking 10 year olds?
Last edited by BurningStarlV at Nov 8, 2011,
Quote by BurningStarlV
Some Penn State students I know are posting on facebook about how it's so sad that they're losing such a legend of a man.

How can anyone say something like that after finding out that he was futt bucking 10 year olds?

Obviously you dont know who they are talking about, which is JoePa. He did not do anything to kids. He reported the incident but didn't call the cops.

I also go to Penn State and I will have to say yes Joe Pa should get some blame for not calling the police. BUT WHY THE FUCK IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT THE PRESIDENT OF PENN STATE GRAHAM SPANIER!!!!!!! Seriously what the fuck! He has the most power at Penn State not JoePa like everyone thinks. JoePa is a fucking football coach he has no executive decisions to make outside of football. Spanier should be well in the spotlight since he not only backed-up the sick bastards that did it and covered it up but he hasn't done shit about it. Holy shit am i mad. These little faggots are spending my tuition money to get them out of jail. Not only that, all of this shit is getting smeared across the news, feels fucking shitty. im sure if this happened to other peoples UNI's or workplaces they would feel the same way being associated with it. yea sure is going to be great when i go back home for thanksgiving break and everyone in my family and people at work are going to ask me a million questions about it. Heres my answer. It fucking sucks.
Quote by nincompoop
potcorn56, you are a god.
Quote by iplayat11
PA state law says:
"that person shall immediately notify the person in charge of the institution, school, facility or agency or the designated agent of the person in charge. Upon notification, the person in charge or the designated agent, if any, shall assume the responsibility and have the legal obligation to report or cause a report to be made in accordance with section 6313"

Oh I had no idea his actions were in accordance with section 6313. Well I take back what I said, he's obviously a great guy.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by potcorn56
Obviously you dont know who they are talking about, which is JoePa. He did not do anything to kids. He reported the incident but didn't call the cops.

I also go to Penn State and I will have to say yes Joe Pa should get some blame for not calling the police. BUT WHY THE FUCK IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT THE PRESIDENT OF PENN STATE GRAHAM SPANIER!!!!!!! Seriously what the fuck! He has the most power at Penn State not JoePa like everyone thinks. JoePa is a fucking football coach he has no executive decisions to make outside of football. Spanier should be well in the spotlight since he not only backed-up the sick bastards that did it and covered it up but he hasn't done shit about it. Holy shit am i mad. These little faggots are spending my tuition money to get them out of jail. Not only that, all of this shit is getting smeared across the news, feels fucking shitty. im sure if this happened to other peoples UNI's or workplaces they would feel the same way being associated with it. yea sure is going to be great when i go back home for thanksgiving break and everyone in my family and people at work are going to ask me a million questions about it. Heres my answer. It fucking sucks.

Poor guy.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by rockingamer2
Looks like somebody's going to the state pen.

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww-right, where Physics 1A is soap mechanics, Anatomy 100 is rape and getting your ass beat, and Econ 101 is underground drug operations.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I don't have enough information(OP was informative, but I want more before making up my mind) to decide what I think about the other two folks at the moment, but I just want to say that a local news station has an anchor named Gerry Sandusky, and I feel so sorry for him right now.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I just don't understand how you can see somebody rape a child and not do anything about it.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
So this guy was doing this shit in the locker rooms? Either this guy is just really, really, really, really dumb or wanted to get caught? What are 10 year old boys doing in the workout facilities at Penn State anyways?

Really looking forward to all of this getting sorted out.
Me neither. But i'm going to give Jo Pa the benefit of the doubt, hoping that he genuinely trusted that his superiors would report the incident. But I can't fully assess the situation until we learn what was said to him and what he said to his superiors. That information is vital.

This is the end of his coaching career however.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Joe Pa should have gone to the police when he realized that nothing was being done about it. The fact that he didn't certainly doesn't make him look very good. As a respected man in the community and the school he should have known better.

I live in PA, and I know quite a few people that are either current Penn State students or Penn State alumni. Plus I know a ton of Penn State football fans. Most seem to be angry at the people directly involved, but still seem to support the school in general.
Quote by bradulator
Me neither. But i'm going to give Jo Pa the benefit of the doubt, hoping that he genuinely trusted that his superiors would report the incident. But I can't fully assess the situation until we learn what was said to him and what he said to his superiors. That information is vital.

This is the end of his coaching career however.

Didn't he say this was going to be his final season coaching even before this came up?

Too bad, Penn State has had a great season so far
Quote by darkcheef
Didn't he say this was going to be his final season coaching even before this came up?

Too bad, Penn State has had a great season so far

It probably was going to be. A great career shot in the pooper.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
To anyone who hasn't read the Grand Jury statement yet, here:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/11/07/sandusky_grand_jury_presentment.pdf

It has as much detail as you'll find about the investigation. There are some pretty sick descriptions in there, but it is a sick accusation, after all.

As messed up as Sandusky is, and as guilty as the higher-ups should be for not reporting it, what kind of parent lets their kid go on some weekend getaway or late-night "meeting" with a man they don't know?
Quote by due 07
lol

What's funny about being 8-1 and having a chance to go to the Rose Bowl?
Quote by darkcheef
What's funny about being 8-1 and having a chance to go to the Rose Bowl?

I was laughing at your backwards view of the scandal. As if the Penn State organization is the victim here!

But yeah, I'd agree that nothing is funny about being 8-1 and having a chance to go to the Rose Bowl.
Being 8-1 and having a chance to go to the Rose Bowl is srs business.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by due 07
I was laughing at your backwards view of the scandal. As if the Penn State organization is the victim here!

But yeah, I'd agree that nothing is funny about being 8-1 and having a chance to go to the Rose Bowl.

When did I ever say that I thought Penn State was the victim? I was saying of how it's a shame that one of the best coaches in the history of the NCAA will be remembered for this by the media
Page 1 of 5