Hey guys, just a quick question I've been wondering.

So, I've been playing for close to 5 years, and I've been using thick strings for a while (gotta use dem low tunin's), and my fingers have callused, but they sort of went away (have been gone for a long time now), figured this was natural. I didn't take a big long break or anything, they just went away regardless. My fingers didn't get super sore as often, and I could still play just fine, until a little while ago. I buckled down and wanted to get some work done, and then after playing longer than most days, my fingers (mostly just my left hand pointer finger though) got very sore, very raw, like I wore a layer of skin down and hurts a little to play. I'm using 13-56 tuned to C standard/drop Bb which I don't really think would difference.

So I'm just wondering if this always just comes with using thick strings, and this only really happens when I do a lot of slides and whatnot. So yeah, any explinations would be awesome, thanks.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Nov 8, 2011,
do the things that hurts more often 'til it stops hurting =) that's what I did, if something hurts while playing, I'll do it over and over so I get used to it. My fingertops are really hard nowadays since I've been playing much for a pretty long time.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
So don't stop, just keep going until it's like death to touch anything with my finger tip?
ಠ_ಠ

Quote by henrihell
do the things that hurts more often 'til it stops hurting =) that's what I did, if something hurts while playing, I'll do it over and over so I get used to it. My fingertops are really hard nowadays since I've been playing much for a pretty long time.

This, your skin will get used to it. Don't worry
I think there are alot of variables at play.

How many hours you practice per day.

String gauge.

String height.

Electric or accoustic

Style(s) of music being play.

I have been playing since the late 60s and wouldn't know what its like not having thick callouses on my fingertips, I even have a callous along the side of my index finger from barre chords, but I put about 50% of my playing/practice time in on accoustic guitars.

I once took a 3 month break and still didn't lose them so I really couldn't give you an answer.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Bare min 30min a day, somedays I don't play, but at least like 6/7 days.

Gauge I said was 13-56, the height is enough to have no fret buzz, electric, and metal, hence all the slides.

Well I trust you EG folks more than the pit, so I'll have to take henrihell's advice then, if there are any more suggestions, please tell.
ಠ_ಠ