Page 1 of 2
I've ben playing for some years now but sadly, all I've had to my name were a few small practice amps. I want to take my music seriously, and be taken seriously, so I'm in the market for an upgrade. Research tells me that I need a 6505. I went to play one for the first time today, and it was pretty nice, but it didn't really blow me away. it might have been my lack of eq-ing ability, or how low the volume was, or the quality of the cab, or any number of things. I plan on going back tomorrow to try it out again, does anyone have any wisdom to share to help me really bring the beauty out so I can see if it's worth $1160? Even just a cab suggestion.

Thanks for all help in advance.
They sound best turned up ATLEAST to 3 so don't be afraid to piss some people off by having it waaay loud.. your there to test a amp after all.
6505's are the shit, and for a Cab if your not looking at getting a matching 6505 cab, Guitar center sells original 5150 cabs for about 300-350 and they are litteraly the exact same cab

Gibson Explorer
Peavey 5150
5150 4x12 with Sheffields

One among the Fence.
^

Peavey cabs are shite.

What genre of music do you play anyways?

Cab-wise take a look at mesa, orange, ENGL and Avatar.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
I play MOSTLY modern metal, like groove metal and metalcore. I heard nothing but bad things about peavey cabs, but the associate keeps trying to sell me a valve king cab. I nodded and smiled so I wouldn't have to deal with the salesman mentality.
If you want a good Cab look into ordering a Carvin. You can get them with Carvin speakers or Vintage 30's
definitely stick some kind of overdrive/tubescreamer in front. and if you don't know how to eq just set all the eq knobs to 6 with presence pretty high and resonance wherever you like and keep the pre at 5 or below. that will give you the 6505 base tone which you can tweak however you like. and turn the bitch up lol any serious music shop is not going to say no to a customer thats about to drop over 1000 dollars at their store.
oh and as far as cabs check out mesa boogie. a 6505 with a mesa cab is pretty tried and true
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Last edited by Goodtimes666 at Nov 8, 2011,
Don't buy one new. Just some advice, do with it what you want. Those amps are very popular and reliable so finding good used ones is very easy. A head shouldn't cost you more than $600 which allows you to spend money on getting a great cab that will make it shine. Wouldn't hurt to pick up a cheap boost to tighten it up.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by KickassMofo
If you want a good Cab look into ordering a Carvin. You can get them with Carvin speakers or Vintage 30's

While Carvin cabs are good, if you are going new it would be better to go with a custom Whitebox or Avatar. Amazing 2x12 cabs for the money built how you want for around $450 or so depending on options.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
they had a carvin cab there for $200. I played it for a while, it was pretty ballsy.

Also, I live in the middle of a desert in pecos texas, I've tried looking for a used 6505 in my area, no such luck.
Depending on the model, I would pick it up. Legacy or V3 with V30s would be your best bet.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I'm not sure about the speakers, I'll ask when I go tomorrow.

Right now I'm in canton michigan, I'm looking around craigslist for offers on 6505s, 5150s, and a dual rec that sounds nice.

Thoughts? Advice?
If you can come around TN on your way to TX there is a Dual Rec here for $700. Ill see if I can find the ad to link.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Still looking for the ad I saw last night, it might have already sold should have checked before I got your hopes up. Ill see what else I can find.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
There is a single rec with a Orange 2x12 for $1100. Overpriced but if you got him down to abit that might work. Not the same as a dual rec so listen to some clips to make sure its for you first.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/2682723280.html

Triple rec for $1000 try to talk him down to leave room for a cab. Its in Atlanta

Edit: Damn sorry for the triple post. Was going back and forth from Clist and wasn't paying attention.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Haha, that's life right? It's cool though, I just appreciate the help

A dual rec is the dream, you know? I don't really expect to get my hands on one right now, but if I could, it would be better than disney land.
Don't know much about orange, would they be good for me? I have an ec 1000 with emgs, js.

I'm not closed minded, so if orange can do metal I'll go for it.
It would be perfect for you. The head alone usually sells for $1500 used. Buy it NAO.

I think Jim Root uses it and it most certainly does metal.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I know a few guitarists I think are comparable to gods that play orange. And not just metal either. Where is out located again?
Nashville. The Nashville Clist is amazing for deals like this sometimes. Music City ya know
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I 2nd the Avatar thing, you can find them for dirt cheap sometimes. I got my 4x12 w/v30s for $100. No shit.

It's going to compliment my 5150 perfectly, when I actually get one
I'm sold on the orange. Only thing is, I'm going to be stuck here in michigan until at LEAST wednesday night. Think it will still be available by the time I make my way to nashville?
You absolutely need a tubescreamer in front of a 5150 to get "that" tone that you hear on all the recordings.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by robertsanidiot
I'm sold on the orange. Only thing is, I'm going to be stuck here in michigan until at LEAST wednesday night. Think it will still be available by the time I make my way to nashville?

I honestly surprised it didn't sell the day he put it up. You might see if he will sell it to you for $1000 shipped to your house. More money for him and you are getting an amp for half what it should cost.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by Offworld92
You absolutely need a tubescreamer in front of a 5150 to get "that" tone that you hear on all the recordings.

I figured as much. The 6505 didn't really seen to have it when I played it at gc.
Quote by bluestratplayer
I honestly surprised it didn't sell the day he put it up. You might see if he will sell it to you for $1000 shipped to your house. More money for him and you are getting an amp for half what it should cost.

I think I'll do just that. or try at least.
I mean even if you don't like it you can make alot of money on the deal and buy whatever the hell you want. I seriously doubt you would be disappointed though.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
^damn right it is. If I could come up with the money I would have never posted it here . If you get it you better do a NAD here and post clips for me or Ill hunt you down lol.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
If he doesn't go for it, I'd like your opinion on two other backup offers I have here in town. 5150 11 for $650, and a two channel dual rec for $900
Quote by robertsanidiot
If he doesn't go for it, I'd like your opinion on two other backup offers I have here in town. 5150 11 for $650, and a two channel dual rec for $900

I dunno, both good amps just different voicings so whichever works best for you. Any word back on the Orange yet?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
If all goes according to plan, I'll give you all the credit. Even after I get rich and famous. Lol
Page 1 of 2