I want to get a new precision styled bass, and I can't decide between these two. I want to know what the bass forum thinks.

Fender Blacktop

Schecter Diamond P

Aesthetically speaking, they're both very similar. Tone-wise I'd imagine that they're slightly different though. If it helps, I play mostly punk-infused alternative rock, lo-fi music, and sometimes metalcore.

Help me out, guys. Tell me some pros and cons, tell me about experience...any advice is welcome here.
Last edited by DonWeaso at Nov 8, 2011,
I haven't played the Blacktop, but the Schecter was a very good playing and sounding bass. If I were in the market for a moderately priced 4-string, it would be on my list.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I've played the Blacktops before and they play fine it's that they lack tone.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by dark Mass
I've played the Blacktops before and they play fine it's that they lack tone.

How so? I haven't played one, but they are just Mexican fenders with different pickup layouts. I'd Love the jazz bass with dual P pickups.
Quote by askrere
How so? I haven't played one, but they are just Mexican fenders with different pickup layouts. I'd Love the jazz bass with dual P pickups.

I've played both at my shop and they were very bland(Jazz) and too dark(Precision).
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
TS, what kind of music do you plan on playing with this bass? What kind of tone are you after?
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
Quote by ETHANEVIL
TS, what kind of music do you plan on playing with this bass? What kind of tone are you after?

The kind of genres I play are in the first post. And I like a really trebly tone. Similar to Rickenbackers, but not quite.
Quote by DonWeaso
The kind of genres I play are in the first post. And I like a really trebly tone. Similar to Rickenbackers, but not quite.

You're not going to get the tone that you like from either of the basses listed.
Quote by DonWeaso
What sort of tone would these basses give me?

The Fender Blacktop will give you a fat tone from the humbuckers.

As for the Schecter it's only going to give a slightly jazzy tone from bridge pup when it's split. Though you might not get the tone that you want from it.
I gotcha. I was just looking at p-basses because I know that they're really comfortable and playable. I can't afford a Rickenbacker, so I'm looking for alternatives. :/
Quote by DonWeaso
I gotcha. I was just looking at p-basses because I know that they're really comfortable and playable. I can't afford a Rickenbacker, so I'm looking for alternatives. :/

You might to look for a CIJ 51RI since it has a brighter, snappier tone.
If youre really undecided go to a close music shop and try anything and everything. That will do more for you than any advice. I thought I was dead set on a Stingray until I actually played one
Quote by DonWeaso
I'll check it out.

You'll have to either buy one used or import a Fender Japan OPB51-SD if you want one new.
Last edited by dark Mass at Nov 8, 2011,
It seems to be just as expensive as a Rickenbacker. Haha. I do play alot of the stuff around the music shop, I just was curious about these two basses because we don't have them in stock.
Ive seen American P's go for 650. I dont know what your budget is but you live in Cali which seems to have a fantastic used market from what ive seen on CL and ebay
I've seen the 51RI's go for around $650.
Last edited by dark Mass at Nov 8, 2011,
Quote by dark Mass
I've played both at my shop and they were very bland(Jazz) and too dark(Precision).

I wonder if the kept with 250k pots and a .47 cap on the P bass with humbuckers, that would darken it up. Same with the jazz, but how could you describe the bridge P pickup tone wise?