Poll: Would good exist without evil?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would good exist without evil?
Yes
39 27%
No
108 73%
Voters: 147.
Page 1 of 3
This started as a heated discussion in my math class. We decided to come to the pit to try and prove one of my friends wrong (he said you guys were stupid). Anyways the point of this discussion was that if any form of evil didn't exist in the world, would it be possible for good to exist?

Poll Coming
It wouldn't be good if there was no evil, would it. Everything would just be. No good. No evil. Just is.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Can ice cream exist without Brussels sprouts? I like to imagine so
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
How can you define what is good if there is no such thing as evil?

It's just like light and dark or hot and cold.
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They're taken to a special place and burned - Sherlock Holmes

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass!

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
Last edited by )v(egaFan90 at Nov 8, 2011,
Good would still exist but you wouldn't be able to define it since you had nothing to compare it to. Ask yourself 'If a tree falls in the forest and nobody's around to hear it, does it still make a sound?'

Yes, it does.
ggg1 ggg3

Its called duality or something isn't it? Light and dark, good and evil, tall and short. You can't have one without the other because they are sort of relative terms, talking about a state relative to the other. For example if dark didn't exist it wouldn't make sense to talk about light.
Quote by behind_you
Ask yourself 'If a tree falls in the forest and nobody's around to hear it, does it still make a sound?'

that depends. if it's a boy tree, no. if it's girl tree, it'll complain for hours.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
that depends. if it's a boy tree, no. if it's girl tree, it'll complain for hours.

ha.
Guitars
Washburn A20V 1981
Stagg SG300
BC Rich DLXJRVO
Ibanez Iceman
Jackson King V
Epiphone Special II
Epiphone Embassy IV
Martin D-16RGT
Ibanez EW20WNE
Quote by )v(egaFan90

What a lame avatar.
Would there be light without darkness?
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Would there be light without darkness?

in order for there to be no darkness, there would have to be light everywhere, so yes.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Be Nietzsche and go Beyond Good and Evil and realize that those are subjective names we assign to things.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Last edited by zgr0826 at Nov 8, 2011,
I'd still hold doors open for people even if there was no evil in the world. I think that's good.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Good and evil are man-made concepts. They don't actually exist. No action is inherently good or evil.
Check out my band Disturbed
If there is no evil in the world there is no way to define what good is. Just like if there was no sorrow in the world we wouldn't be able to define happiness.

Quote by StewieSwan
Good and evil are man-made concepts. They don't actually exist. No action is inherently good or evil.

Also this. In some societies (the Mayans for example) it was good to make sacrifices to the gods. In the societies that we come from it would be frowned upon to act in such a way.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Last edited by IRISH_PUNK13 at Nov 8, 2011,
Both good and evil are just terms created by the human imagination. They are also purely simbolical characteristics, as different individuals have different views on what is good or not.
An individual with a very unusual philosophy can be convinced that every action has only positive sides so your question has only one right answer.
Edit: I just got what you guys are aiming at. Well I guess they both need to exist, but it's a weird topic.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Nov 8, 2011,
No, it would not. Good and evil are 2 sides of the same coin, like light and dark, or happiness and anger. Without one, the other would not be observable.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by zgr0826
Be Nietzsche and go Beyond Good and Evil and realize that those are subjective names we assign to things.

That's exactly what they are.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Evil in and of itself doesn't not exist, it is but an absence of good. It is the same thing with light, you can't add darkness to a room. You can only take away light. Thank you Theology class, I knew you would come in handy one day
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by behind_you
Good would still exist but you wouldn't be able to define it since you had nothing to compare it to. Ask yourself 'If a tree falls in the forest and nobody's around to hear it, does it still make a sound?'

Yes, it does.

Ahhh but what is sound? It is simply what your brain thinks when your ear drums vibrate, and is thus just an interpretation of different vibrations of the eardrum caused by whatever it is that stated the vibrations. If there is nothing/no-one around to turn the vibrations into electrical activity within the brain (ie. what we 'hear'), it isn't sound, it's just the movement of air.

OT: Yes, good can exist without evil because there is a lot more than just good and evil; there's many things in between them. So if you take evil away, everybody won't suddenly start doing the complete opposite and being good, because there's still many other things to choose from.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
It's a stupid question. Good luck with that one.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
Quote by )v(egaFan90

no, becuase light and dark and hot and cold are both if you like, measurable, good and evil is more opinion
Good and evil already don't exist. They are only representations of what every single individuals claims to be "good" and "bad".

For example, nazis would think that Adolf Hitler is "good", while the general public think he is "evil". Who is right, and how do we tell? Remember that if it's right for us, it doesn't necessarily means that it's right for everyone.
So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world.
~Jack Layton 1950-2011
Quote by behind_you
'If a tree falls in the forest and nobody's around to hear it, does it still make a sound?'

Yes, it does.

If a man says something and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
Hoof Hearted
I'm getting the impression that some of you guys claim that good and evil are two objective characteristics of an action, that would exist without humanity.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by Funk-E-Munk
no, becuase light and dark and hot and cold are both if you like, measurable, good and evil is more opinion

also to take "hot and cold" they're just two faces of the same phenomenon
Quote by CheesyRhino
(he said you guys were stupid)

stupidity makes up approximately 98% of the pit.

the other 2% is snappy responses about your mother and incoherent ramblings from people who are trying to sound moderately intelligent.
Quote by rockdude375
Ahhh but what is sound? It is simply what your brain thinks when your ear drums vibrate, and is thus just an interpretation of different vibrations of the eardrum caused by whatever it is that stated the vibrations. If there is nothing/no-one around to turn the vibrations into electrical activity within the brain (ie. what we 'hear'), it isn't sound, it's just the movement of air.

Dude. Sound is the term given to the movement/vibration of particles (ie air), son.

ggg1 ggg3

Last edited by behind_you at Nov 8, 2011,
It is good if I eat a sandwich because I am hungry

It is not evil is there is no sandwich to eat
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Quote by StewieSwan

i don't think so.

Biologically, social species (like us humans) know right from wrong...in other words "right" actions are those which will allow our species to survive and "wrong" actions are those which are detrimental to our survival.

from evolution alone things, like killing for example, are inherently wrong actions because they're detrimental to our survival as a species. This holds true for other species as well like ants or lions that form a kind of "society" and interact with one another.

science can go a very long way in explaining morality and where it comes from.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
There is no good nor evil.

@waterboy, Social contracts are not a defining set of "good" or "bad" either. Morality doesnt come from an evolutionary perspective. Especially now because our species' evolution pattern has changed from survival of individuals to survival of ideas.

Were arguing from a more individual perspective here i think
Last edited by Mr. B at Nov 8, 2011,
Quote by Waterboy799
i don't think so.

Biologically, social species (like us humans) know right from wrong...in other words "right" actions are those which will allow our species to survive and "wrong" actions are those which are detrimental to our survival.

That's the thing though: our survival. Is it evil to mass murder? What if those you are mass murdering are bent on murdering you? In many cases, what is good for one is bad for another. For example, many people feel that killing animals and eating them is evil, but many others justify it because it is beneficial to our species.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Waterboy799
i don't think so.

from evolution alone things, like killing for example, are inherently wrong actions because they're detrimental to our survival as a species. This holds true for other species as well like ants or lions that form a kind of "society" and interact with one another.

science can go a very long way in explaining morality and where it comes from.

Here is where our views part. You seem to be giving life a value on an universal scale. As much as our limiged minds want to convince us that life matters and serves as a ultimate achievement of a planet we have to realize that the complete extinction of Earth life forms or even the death of our entire solar system is as important as 1 mg of hidrogen burning up in a star.
Good and bad are nothing more than a pitifull invention of the mind - human or otherwise.
But that doesn't mean at all that we shouldn't respect our morals.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by StewieSwan
That's the thing though: our survival. Is it evil to mass murder? What if those you are mass murdering are bent on murdering you? In many cases, what is good for one is bad for another. For example, many people feel that killing animals and eating them is evil, but many others justify it because it is beneficial to our species.

if someone is bent on murdering you then i'm assuming they're in your species...in which case i already said that would be an evil action because it's detrimental to the survival of the species as a whole.

anyone who feels that killing animals and eating them is evil is almost always against the practices of modern meat distribution and their unethical methods of raising/killing these animals and ONLY because you can get away with a vegan diet through modern innovations, technology and knowledge. there's a huge difference there than in what you're implying.

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Here is where our views part. You seem to be giving life a value on an universal scale. As much as our limiged minds want to convince us that life matters and serves as a ultimate achievement of a planet we have to realize that the complete extinction of Earth life forms or even the death of our entire solar system is as important as 1 mg of hidrogen burning up in a star.
Good and bad are nothing more than a pitifull invention of the mind - human or otherwise.
But that doesn't mean at all that we shouldn't respect our morals.

an invention of the mind that evolved in social species on this planet over a long period of time...in other words, we developed our morals through evolution and thus they are inherent in us.

if what you guys are saying is true and morals are not inherent in us, then who created them? this is one of the basic arguments in favor of the existence of God...we wouldn't know right from wrong unless we were told as such, which is essentially what you're saying. I say different. No one needs to tell us right from wrong, we already know it(some more than others) through our evolution. More on the thread topic, yes Good would still exist but we wouldn't be able to define it...it would just be what it is. Although, you'd be hard pressed to find something that exists without it's polar opposite so why bring up this question in the first place?
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Funk-E-Munk

You're right, but I was speaking about the philosophical nature of light and dark or hot and cold being dependent on the existence of the other.
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They're taken to a special place and burned - Sherlock Holmes

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass!

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
Page 1 of 3