Lately I've found my picking to be inconsistent and I'm hearing a lot of pick noise. It only seems to happen to me while I'm doing tremolo picking single notes rather then when I do scale runs. I've tried different picks, holding them in different positions, with a small tilt on it, without a tilt, and I just cant seem to get a consistent clean sound from it. Any advice or ways I can work on fixing this?

Also what is a good method to develop speed while maintaining a nice clean sound?
Try gripping the pick more lightly - this has the added bonus of making you less likely to drop the pick (counter-intuitive I know).

In terms of developing speed with a nice clean sound, just practice abnormally slowly and really focus on what everything is doing. Try to make sure all your muscles are relaxed, and if you feel any tension, stop and release it. I've just realised I must have said that sentence so many times
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Nov 8, 2011,
Should I stick to the heavy picks I am using? Or should I switch to a softer pick?
Quote by xefe
Should I stick to the heavy picks I am using? Or should I switch to a softer pick?

That's entirely personal preference to be honest but many find harder picks are better for fast picking, where lighter picks tend to be used more for strumming. As i said though it's entirely personal preference, use whichever is the most comfortable. One tip though: it's best to pick one and stick with it, otherwise you'll become obsessed with finding the optimum pick. It's great to experiment but changing pick regularly is just going to force you to keep adapting.

Having said that I still keep switching between 2 pick types, though they're so incredibly similar.
Thanks, looks like I'll be practicing a bunch really slowly for awhile till my playing cleans up.
Quote by tappooh
i found that doing a slightly bigger picking motion and applying more strenght to it helps me get a cleaner picking sound.

experiment, hope it helps.

The thing is I have been experimenting and nothing has been working so far. I've been picking with my wrist only, elbow and wrist movement, holding the pick tight, pivoting my pinky on the pickups to try and stay clean. It feels like once in awhile my pick gets "stuck" I overcompensate and it leads to unclean and uneven picking once in awhile.
If it only happens when tremolo picking make sure that you're only using your wrist when doing this. Do you feel tension in your arm at all when tremolo picking?

Also, I'd recommend not anchoring your pinky on the pickups and maybe try loosening your grip on the pick slightly? You should hold it firm enough not to drop or move, but loose enough so you don't have unnecessary tension in your hand.

I had the same problem with my pick getting stuck and it turned out to be too much tension, too tight a grip on the pick and having far too much of the pick sticking out of my fingers. Perhaps experiment with them?
Quote by Anon17
I had the same problem with my pick getting stuck and it turned out to be too much tension, too tight a grip on the pick and having far too much of the pick sticking out of my fingers. Perhaps experiment with them?

Yeah I think this is quite common. It's because holding the pick too tightly a) increases tension so makes your movement less fluid and b) doesn't allow the pick to brush over the strings as smoothly.