Hey guys i am debating between a Carvin V3 i can get right now or waiting and working for like 6 more months and getting a Splawn Quickrod. There quite a bit more but there also amazing. 6 months is kind of alot of work but some people say it is worth it just to go big right from the start that way you don't lose money in the transitions. Right now i'm not upset with my setup but i don't love it either. Do you think i should wait or get the Carvin? Whats your experiences with upgrades or with this amps?
I love my Carvin personally but it kinda depends I guess. If you pick up a V3 used then you should have no trouble getting your money back after 6 months so that would be a win-win.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
edit - did not read thread.

a used quickrod is a bit cheaper then a new one.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
I found a deal for one at Guitar Center for $550 plus shipping do you think thats a good deal?
Thats about what I paid for mine. Mine was $550 local pickup I believe. Then when you are like 500 from getting the Splawn, sell the V3 on Clist. Thats what I would do anyways.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Please, Please do yourself a favor and wait for the quickrod, a few years ago I bought into all the V3 hype and it was the worst gear purchase I've ever made. The clean channel was alright and it even did an ok crunch but the hi gain was like a big box of bees all fizz.

As far as reselling the V3 don't think it will be that easy it took quite a few months and a few different people coming to check it out before I could get someone to actually take it off my hands.
Last edited by Osiris77 at Nov 8, 2011,
^You did it wrong. And he can easily get his money back from the V3 to get the Quickrod and have a good amp until then.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
^You did it wrong. And he can easily get his money back from the V3 to get the Quickrod and have a good amp until then.

I mean hey maybe some people like that tone I definitely didn't unless it was cranked. I'm just telling him my experience and trying to save him from making the same mistake I did. I've never really had any trouble getting a good sound out of my gear other then the V3.

For the record I own two Carvin guitars a CS4 and a Bolt and I would tell anyone they are the best guitars I've ever played, I just really don't think the V3 sounds good. I've never played a Quickrod I'm more of a clean amp pedalboard guy right now I've got a Lonestar with a Zendrive and OCD for dirt and its the best tone I've ever had. But based on the clips the Quickrod sounds fantastic and based on experience I would stay away from the Carvin V3.
^I agree he should get the Quickrod. Just think having a V3 in the meantime would be good. Also at a reasonable volume its easy to dial out the buzziness. I mean it does take a while to tweak the amp and Ive always been upfront with everyone wanting to buy one as their amp to know its not plug and play. It takes tweaking. However with my 5751 tubes, the fizz doesn't exist and the clean channel sounds absolutely amazing.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
^I agree he should get the Quickrod. Just think having a V3 in the meantime would be good. Also at a reasonable volume its easy to dial out the buzziness. I mean it does take a while to tweak the amp and Ive always been upfront with everyone wanting to buy one as their amp to know its not plug and play. It takes tweaking. However with my 5751 tubes, the fizz doesn't exist and the clean channel sounds absolutely amazing.

Yeah I never changed the pre amp tube I just tried a few different 6L6's I noticed you were running EL34's. Maybe its a different amp with that setup but I had the amp for over a year and the with the stock pre amp tubes and 6L6's the fizz didn't go away unless it was at gig volumes.
I have E34L which are ever so slightly different than El34s. And it can be fizzy with stock preamp tubes and needs to be dialed out. Never tried it with 6l6s as Ive always like EL34s. And its not for everyone. Not many amps are. But it would be a great amp he could play for 6 months the get his money back for the Splawn.

Also the NOS 5751s are a very smooth tube when driven so they make it sound really damn good. They made the 3120 I have before sound ****ing great aswell. Slightly lowers the gain (not too much at all) but makes it incredibly useable. Plus Ive never seen any reason to come close to diming the gain on either of those amps.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I wouldn't call it an arguement. Constructive disagreement is preferable. Just a friendly discussion from two points of view. No amp I can think of works for everyone so different ppl will have different opinions. His views are shared by quite a few ppl and its true but alot of ppl find it easy to dial out. Just depends on you, I can't find anyone else who has tried my preamp tubes in one but me and think it cures the problems most ppl have with it. I would use these tubes in just about any amp I had probably.

Do be aware though this amp does take some tweaking to get the sound you want. Its easy to get turned off at first. The Carvin forum has alot of ppl with this amp though and a lot of suggestions on tweaking from different ppl with different gear and styles of music. Very helpfull if you get one.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Go with the Splawn, they are great amps. I agree with Osiris, the V3 gets alot of hype, but I don't really like the tones that it produces. I'm more of a Nitro guy myself.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^The hype it gets is well deserved. It gets overlooked because they aren't as easy to find to play so alot of people only play one for a small amount of time which as Ive said, doesn't work. You have to be able to tweak it. God I can't wait to get a good recording setup so I can put some clips of the V3 up to show people what it is capable of.

And I did say to go with the Splawn. But buy the V3 in the meantime. Why shouldn't he have a good amp to play on in the 1/2 year it will take him to save for the Splawn?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
In alot of areas, Carvin amps are VERY hard to move, so telling him to buy something he might have a difficult time selling isn't good advice. he said he has a rig he is OK with for know, so he's good for that.

I never said they were not good amps, I personaly don't care for them. They are made incredibly well though.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
He also said he wasn't crazy about it. And I haven't seen anyone have trouble moving a Carvin around here unless it was SS. If it didn't get so much bad press from people unable to tweak it they would sell like hotcakes everywhere. Not saying you were one (you might be I dunno, couldn't say either way) but anyone could make any amp sound bad if you don't know what you are doing and the V3 is certainly not an exception. Look at Tone King if you don't believe me that someone could make everything sound bad.

I really don't see him having any problem getting his money back. Hell he could even start putting it on Ebay a month before he has all the dough for the Splawn and I would garantee it sells in that time. That would still be five months with something different.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I love the V3 in theory... I like most of the demo videos I've seen, and I love all the MIDI options, etc. I've just never had a chance to play one. I think that's why more people don't take Carvins seriously. You just don't see them. I have a CT624, and it's the nicest guitar I've ever touched, but I just can't bring myself to drop $1000 on an amp without playing one first. Even if it does have a 10 day return policy.

I have a lot of other Carvin gear too, some of it great (PA), some of it kinda sucks (mics)... I'd say if it's used you could probably re-sell it for what you pay, you just have to be willing to go through the hassle of dumping it in 6 months.

Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by Henry Wilt
Check out this guys demo of the V3, as he says, it's certainly not fizzy or buzzy if EQed right.
http://youtu.be/qT08awUZIhw

As helpful as it can be to listen to demos a youtube video will never give you a true idea of what the amp will sound and feels like in the room with you. You can get an idea but it will be different when your actually playing it for the first time. I listened to all the demos I find over about a months period of time and I was sorely disappointed to find that the amp didn't sound like any of the good demos I had heard. Perhaps you think I just couldn't tweak the amp but I can assure you I owned the amp for over a year and tried VERY VERY hard to make myself like the amp.

The only thing I can say is that maybe if you change the pre amp tubes like Bluestratplayer you can get a rid of the fizz. Thats the one thing I didn't try and I think its worth mentioning that if you get the amp and then end up changing out all the tubes especially if you bring it to a tech your looking about an extra $200 if not more that you won't get back when you resell it.