Hey guys I recently got a Marcus Miller Jazz bass and am aiming to at some stage down the line upgrade the pickups from the stock ones. I have been looking at the STK-J2 hot stack pickups and am wondering if they would be right for what I am playing, my style going from jazz and funk through rock to stuff as heavy as opeth and other prog rock/metal.

I cannot seem to find any audio of the pickups on youtube so any input as to what they are like or what other pickups would be good would be great help
STK-J2 are good pickups but they do lack the low end.

IMO DiMarzio Ultra Jazz and Area J pickups are better suited for versatility.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Seymour Duncan's website has a tone selector chart to help you pick the best model of their pickups for what you want to do. It's pretty good and gives an accurate assessment of their respective tones. See which one is best for your needs.

The Duncan STK-J2 is a fine pickup.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
What don't you like about the stock pickups? Also, what amp are you using?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
What don't you like about the stock pickups? Also, what amp are you using?

That's what I was wondering. Not a fan of the guy, but I have played the bass and it's nice, and isn't he a funky jazz guy himself?

When I had a jazz bass I wanted to buy those, but was too cheap. I read also they had a tone that was I guess not jazz bass enough to get love. They are humbuckers and veryyy hot so the high drops and the low end get downplayed to mid range as with any humbucker.

The bass is called a jazz bass so I think straying from that is kind of curious.
Marcus Miller Jazz' are uber versatile. I've seen everyone from Marcus wannabes to hardcore metal guys using them. There's not a lot they can't do.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Thanks for the replies guys, I brought the bass to my tech and the electronics where pretty messed up in it, was getting a lot of feedback from the pre amp due to some very bad grounding work and the pickup heights where causing bad volume balance issues. Sounds great now and won't be changing pickups anytime soon. And yeah I got the bass because of how versatile it is supposed to be, guys like Marcus himself up to death metal bands use it. Very happy with the bass now.