Page 1 of 2
I'm not sure if this thread has been done or not, but here it goes. Do you need any special license in the U.S to do so? I was just looking at it as an avenue for extra money since work is hard to find. Also does anyone have any experience doing so and where did you get your start? I'm talking about giving guitar lessons of course.
Sure, as long as you know what you're doing.

I actually just started the other day giving lessons to a beginner.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
No license, but please don't be a shitty teacher.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan

That.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Quote by StewieSwan

It's unlicensed shits like you that cause my guitar insurance to go up each year. Get your guitar license punk.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Yeah man, just start putting up adds up on craigslist/kijiji and print off flyers to hang up at college/universities and on busy streets.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Jackal58
It's unlicensed shits like you that cause my guitar insurance to go up each year. Get your guitar license punk.

I don't want government bureaucracy getting between me and my students.

Ron Paul 2012
This is the weirdest thing, a mate of mine just came round for a theory lesson. I was wondering the same thing myself.
OUT OF ORDER
Quote by StewieSwan
I don't want government bureaucracy getting between me and my students.

Rue Paul 2012

What exactly are you teaching?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
What exactly are you teaching?

Give me $15 every half hour and you can find out.
Teach the younger brothers of the hot girls that go to your school. Fuck bitches, get money.
you're a stone fox
Quote by StewieSwan
Give me $15 every half hour and you can find out.

Last time I spent 15 bucks on a whore she was a he.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58

How has being an unlicensed teacher got any connection to guitar insurance? I mean **** me he was asking if he needs to get a license, that should show you he has good intentions, don't be a dick, "punk".

Sweet, I can feel like a tough guy behind my pc too. Yeah.
Quote by elvor0
How has being an unlicensed teacher got any connection to guitar insurance? I mean **** me he was asking if he needs to get a license, that should show you he has good intentions, don't be a dick, "punk".

Get your license TS. The government cracks down hard on you teaching without a license. You shouldn't do it though. You are the 99%!
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by elvor0
How has being an unlicensed guitar teacher got any connection to guitar insurance? I mean **** me he was asking if he needs to get a license, that should show you he has good intentions, don't be a dick, "punk".

Yeah, you don't have to be rude in answering his honest question. But to be in a safe side, get a license. It wouldn't hurt you to have one. And that certifies you as a guitar teacher and would really be a great help in the future if you wish to continue such job.
Last edited by ndrewoods at Nov 27, 2011,
Nah man, you don't need a license. And if you're just starting out, most places will give you absolute fuck all beginner students to cut your teeth on anyway.

Some places will just ask you questions to get an idea of your knowledge, others will ask that you play something for them... maybe a song, maybe jam with them, perhaps just show them you can read music. Depends on the place really. I personally never had any of that since I was vetted by a current teacher that was working there, but just know they could put you on the spot.

I started at a place where my teacher worked (he got me the gig) and started with 2 students... who quit after 3 lessons. They were bad and whiny.

Just know that it'll be awkward at first, you need to get your feet wet. You'll switch up your method a dozen times in the first month and doubt yourself the whole way (well, maybe you won't... maybe I just sucked @ first lol but that's the story I hear from every tenured gitty teach.)

Go for it though, I wish you the best of luck. Especially in this fucking market. (luxuries such as extra curricular activities are always the first thing in a budget to get cut)

Cas-
Last edited by casualty01 at Nov 25, 2011,
If you teach scales/modes I swear I'm gonna have your guitar far up your butt you won't know which key you're in.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
If you teach scales/modes I swear I'm gonna have your guitar far up your butt you won't know which key you're in.

aaaaand scales/modes are bad... why?

Cas-
Quote by casualty01

Cas-

Because they are misleading, not useful, musically stifling, and lead to the same stupid questions over and over again in MT.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by casualty01

Cas-

Check out the Musician forum sometime and you'll see why. So many people get them confused on a daily basis, it's ridiculous.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Xiaoxi
Because they are misleading, not useful, musically stifling, and lead to the same stupid questions over and over again in MT.

misleading? not useful... musically stifling... ?

perhaps you should change your location to "in my own head... lodged firmly up my ass"

Just a thought.

Cas-
Quote by eGraham
Check out the Musician forum sometime and you'll see why. So many people get them confused on a daily basis, it's ridiculous.

I used to run that forum... I'm fully aware of the confusion. But to dismiss them because of said confusion is akin to dismissing evolution because too many christians "don't get it"...

Cas-
Quote by casualty01
misleading? not useful... musically stifling... ?

perhaps you should change your location to "in my own head... lodged firmly up my ass"

Just a thought.

Cas-

If you can honestly say that while you are playing a solo over chord changes in real time and think "ok now F dorian, now Ab lydian dominant, now 3rd mode of the parallel melodic minor", then I will do that. Otherwise, can it.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
You don't need a license to teach guitar lessons, but depending upon where you are doing the teaching you may need liability insurance. For instance, if you teach at your home, and someone trips over the carpet and hurts themselves, you could actualy be liable for a big payout.

It's better if you can teach them at their home, that way you are not liable for the surroundings that you'll be teaching in, your students (or their parents) are.

Quote by Jackal58
It's unlicensed shits like you that cause my guitar insurance to go up each year. Get your guitar license punk

Yeah... and make sure your jamming tax is up to date too.
Quote by Xiaoxi
If you can honestly say that while you are playing a solo over chord changes in real time and think "ok now F dorian, now Ab lydian dominant, now 3rd mode of the parallel melodic minor", then I will do that. Otherwise, can it.

You do that very thing... AT FIRST... when you're learning. After that it becomes an innate ability as you become comfortable. Just as in reading when you sound out the letters, you form sounds based on letter combinations and groupings. As you progress, you effortlessly read "phonetic" as "fonetic" but at first, you need to take a pause, recognize the PH as the F sound and then proceed.

You're taught that T sounds "ta" ... H sounds "Ha" ... when TH comes together, mind fuck. You take it one step at a time.

Same with music.

Start with harmony, learn how that's structured and then bam... here's a perfect scale that will fit over that with barely a hiccup. Now play. Gain your confidence and we can go from there.

With your outlook, fuck everything right? don't bother teaching a pentatonic scale... just confuses people right?

Hell, throw away key signatures and chord designations... no need to stifle people. I mean, they don't need to learn structure at all. fuck it. All about "FEEL" right?

There's a very real and valuable skill to be gained from learning the proper tonalities that pair with the underlying harmony of the song/jam/whatever that you're playing over. To dismiss it is pure ignorance on your part.

And with that, I invite you, good sir, to "can it"

Cas-
Last edited by casualty01 at Nov 25, 2011,
Quote by casualty01
You do that very thing... AT FIRST... when you're learning. After that it becomes an innate ability as you become comfortable.
That would be peachy...except it's just not true. The amount of misguided people asking "I learned the harmonic minor...what can I use it in" is astounding. The problem with scales and modes is that they don't represent music as it actually happens. Scales and modes freeze an artificial moment of music and take out all other factors. No matter how much you practice them, they are deadweight when you have to deal with the dynamics of real time changes.

Start with harmony, learn how that's structured and then bam... here's a perfect scale that will fit over that with barely a hiccup. Now play. Gain your confidence and we can go from there.
Except that results in formulas that nobody but computers can effectively pull up in real time. Also it sounds boring as shit.

With your outlook, fuck everything right? don't bother teaching a pentatonic scale... just confuses people right?
Yes, it does. As a "former MT mod", you should know that.

How does that equate to disregarding everything? All I'm saying is the majority of people are teaching and being taught the wrong way. It's detrimental for everybody involved.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
That would be peachy...except it's just not true. The amount of misguided people asking "I learned the harmonic minor...what can I use it in" is astounding. The problem with scales and modes is that they don't represent music as it actually happens. Scales and modes freeze an artificial moment of music and take out all other factors. No matter how much you practice them, they are deadweight when you have to deal with the dynamics of real time changes.

Except that results in formulas that nobody but computers can effectively pull up in real time. Also it sounds boring as shit.

How does that equate to disregarding everything? All I'm saying is the majority of people are teaching and being taught the wrong way. It's detrimental for everybody involved.

Shush, broseph.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by King Twili
Shush, broseph.

Don't you just hate it when I'm right?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Getting paid to teach guitar without a license seems kinda douchie if you ask me. You're taking away from people who are probably better than you and have a license.

But they're the ones paying for shitty unprofessional lessons.
Quote by Xiaoxi

I see what you mean but it seems a bit overexaggerated. You made it out to seem impossible. Jazz does a fine job.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
You made it out to seem impossible. Jazz does a fine job.

Jazz has a lot of teachers who have hard-ons for modes, but if you look at legends like Joe Pass, Miles Davis, and Bill Evans, they almost never talk about improvisation with deadweight inefficiencies like actively thinking about which mode to use next. They have a much more dynamic, flexible, and fluid way of dealing with harmonic changes using chord tones as guidelines and thus can achieve truly lyrical and spontaneous ways of playing.

Think about it this way: by learning modes and scales, you are memorizing ALL pitch possibilities for ALL specific moments in music. That's a huge cabinet full of shit. If you did that earnestly, you'll be able to play back the "correct" scale/mode from head to toe if I threw at you a particular harmony. But as soon as we start playing in real time with real changes, how do you access all of that in a split second? And how do you do it without sounding like you're playing scales?

Here's another thing to think about. In studying composition, we skip right over modes and scales. That's pretty telling because that information IS easy to access as we're not trying to do it on the spot. Yet that's still not part of the process at all. This is because if you learn music in a more efficient way, these concepts will be inherent and without needing a second thought, as opposed to so many guitar players treating modes and scales as the holy grail of theory.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Originally Posted by casualty01
You do that very thing... AT FIRST... when you're learning. After that it becomes an innate ability as you become comfortable.

Xiaoxi That would be peachy...except it's just not true.

Ummm... actually, yes it is. You learn something at first, you stumble and fall at it, it improves, it becomes secondary in nature.

How old are you that you don't know this?

Xiaoxi The amount of misguided people asking "I learned the harmonic minor...what can I use it in" is astounding.

And that actually has nothing to do with the validity of modes or any other aspect of musical theory. In fact it shows a thirst for knowledge that to me, is to be admired.

Sorry for your misery.

If someone learns something and then asks how to apply it, you, for some reason, see that as a reason for disdain? seriously man? did your guitar teacher touch you badly?

"This is the diddle mode... just close your eyes and feel the "music" ...

Xiaoxi The problem with scales and modes is that they don't represent music as it actually happens. Scales and modes freeze an artificial moment of music and take out all other factors. No matter how much you practice them, they are deadweight when you have to deal with the dynamics of real time changes.

I gotta ask... do you actually play? And really, not just tabs. Not just "I get together with my friends and we all jam on the same tunes we all know"

scales and modes DO represent music as it actually happens. I can listen to a recording or a live performance and know "they're doing this... they're doing that. Oooo... key change, now he's playing the ii-V-I in the relative minor. He's using this and that... etc..."

Is that what it's all about? of course not.

But you don't just take someone who really digs jazz, say "here's autumn leaves... go for it" and not expect them to falter hard. Now if they know scale structure, harmony, and "these are the altered modes that you should focus on during the switch to the minor progression while you're learning" then they're acclimate much better and you won't be a shitty mentor. Otherwise you're just a self fellating asshole that has a chip on their shoulder. Which, I assume, I'm not far from the truth here lol

Casualty01

Xiaoxi]Except that results in formulas that nobody but computers can effectively pull up in real time. Also it sounds boring as shit.

that results in ... what? forumulas that blah blah blowhard etc blah?

Question. Do you form your thoughts, think about them and then release? Or is it just simply "open mouth and vomit tripe"?

Seriously. You just said "learning chords and how they go together, and what notes go well with them, results in boring shit that only the overlords of the matrix can even comprehend"

Even though I'll venture to say 99% of all music can be categorized as harmonically sound and melodically coherent. You just said "that shit sucks and is boring and it confuses people and besides, only bender could even comprehend it anyway."

Casualty01
With your outlook, **** everything right? don't bother teaching a pentatonic scale... just confuses people right?

Quote by xiaoxi

as a formet MT mod and guitar teacher... I should know one thing. It's not, however, that the pentatonic scale confuses people. The one thing I "should" know is that ANYTHING new will confuse people. But to disregard it as an archaic form of education or some systematically flawed idea simply because it annoys you with questions in an online forum is, to say the least, childish and short sighted.

People are learning all the time and new people are picking up the guitar every day. Stop looking at new threads with the same questions as a hinderance and flaw in the methodolgy and start looking at it as a new opportunity to share your obvioulsy limited wealth of knowledge.

Or you could just click the back button and let others handle it. Up to you.

XiaoxiHow does that equate to disregarding everything? All I'm saying is the majority of people are teaching and being taught the wrong way. It's detrimental for everybody involved.

It equates to that very thing because you simply disregarded an entire segment of musical knowledge because "it confuses people". I taught for 8 years and every student that came in was "confused" by the fuking A-minor open chord at first because IT WAS NEW TO THEM.

You need to get that chip off your shoulder bro... maybe certain methods sucked for you, but don't go throwing the communal baby out with the bath water simply because you don't like it. It works for many, and it's actually quite sound. Some teachers suck at it, but don't blame the material for the lack of delivery.

Cas-
Quote by Xiaoxi

lolno

Different people learn and do things in different ways. You evidently don't learn in the same way as Cas does, or the same way that I do. Now stop having silly arguments about it, as amusing as they are to watch. kthxbai
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Page 1 of 2