How do you guys write your own solos? Do you have a process, any techniques you use to get started and develop a solo?
Any info would be great.
Thanks!
When I write solos, my method is to improvise over a track a few times, then select the best pieces of each cut, then record a "final version" where I play the best parts from all of the solos in one recording.
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
I listen to the track a few times and improvise and see what scales fit it best.
I try a bunch of scales,effects, and styles to see what I can do over the track.
I find the notes that sound good, which are usually chord tones(or implied chord tones) and work around those, with passing notes inbetween to add color.
But how do you get into improvising?
Do you use scales, chord tones or licks? and if so how?
Quote by Joe-Floyd-lover
When I write solos, my method is to improvise over a track a few times, then select the best pieces of each cut, then record a "final version" where I play the best parts from all of the solos in one recording.

comfortably numb does this
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by Joe-Floyd-lover

This. I do it the same way.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Quote by pasnu
But how do you get into improvising?
Do you use scales, chord tones or licks? and if so how?

Amazing how people are taking so long to get to the point!! GRR GRR..

Yes, you got it. To write your own solos or improvise, you have to know a group of notes that "sound well together", "goes well with each other", and this group of notes we call a "scale". The better you become at playing guitar and making music on it, the better you get at and the easier you can carry out other techniques, such as combining two or more scales, playing the same scale at different positions (or all over) the fretboard.

If you are new to this, focus of learning one of two scales well (maybe in one or two positions, or a handful of shapes), and "mix up the notes" when you play the scales, according to what you like. The "mixing up" of the notes is how one makes his/her own solos.

For extra creativity, try to add other techniques you can do, such as slides, hammer ons and pull offs, sweeps, chords, etc. Make it your own masterpiece, put some emotion in it!!!

Good luck!
Last edited by zuhairreza at Nov 8, 2011,