M'kay, I've got a budget of anywhere between $300 and about $500, maybe $600.
I'm looking for a long-term investment - I want an instrument that I can keep, that will age with me. I'd like to find a solid-wood guitar. I've liked Greg Bennetts a lot, but they've only got a handful that are all solid-wood. All of their acoustics have solid tops though.

So, two things
  • What are some guitars in that range that are all solid-wood, or solid-top? I'm not TOO picky about the tone, I just want it to be comfortable, and if at all possible, acoustic/electric.
  • What kind of tonal difference will there be, in the long term, between a solid top and an all-solid wood guitar?
I think there are some Fenders that fit that description.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I tend to shy away from brand names like Fender because they tend to tack on another $100 or so to the real value of the guitar for the name... if I find one that really impresses me, I'll go for it, but I haven't really, in all honesty. That price range can be restrictive.
Seagull and Takamine offer guitars with your description. Try looking for some of those in the store.

I would suggest you stay away from Fender, Ovation, Ibanez and any guitar that looks over the top, whether it just be a nice paint job or "figured" wood. At this price range, you'll be getting crap if you look for guitars like those.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Some of the Recording King guitars look really nice, and I do like the Seagull guitars, but the all-solids are usually a little more expensive than what I'm looking at.

It looks like most of the guitars I'm looking for are going to be in the $700-$800 range. I'd have to wait a lot longer before buying if that's how much a really good one is going to be. Is paying the extra cash really worth it in the long run, do you guys think?
I'd say that the value for money you get at this range is still quite large. That is, the money you spend here at this price range can get you a significantly better guitar when you put out an extra $100-200.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by Epi g-310
Some of the Recording King guitars look really nice, and I do like the Seagull guitars, but the all-solids are usually a little more expensive than what I'm looking at.

All the Seagulls are solid tops. The issue there is if you want cedar or spruce.

Specs: http://www.seagullguitars.com/specs.htm
Hmm... I'll definitely keep all that in mind - so, my question now is this: how big is the difference between a solid-top guitar and an all-solid guitar?