Page 1 of 2
Am I the only person to notice that game manuals have gotten smaller and smaller over time. Some games nowadays just come with a piece of paper.

Btw, this isn't really a complaint or anything (save the trees. etc.) but, it's kinda strange how they're doing this.

Personally, I think it's a way of padding the game out. Instead of telling you how to play the game in the manual, they make you play through tutorials which seems like a cop out to me.
Oh well, maybe I've just noticed it in certain games, I wouldn't be surprised if there are still some games which have bibles inside the case
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
You were lame for looking at them in the first place.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I liked manuals because they gave the case some weight.

Now not only are the manuals just a few sheets, but the case is much thinner and has holes cut in it. Every time I open it i'm afraid it will bust.
I haven't purchased a video game in years. This is news to me.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
They're awesome to read while taking a poop.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I love and miss manuals. We've had this discussion in the gaming thread before, going home and reading the manual before the game started is part of the gaming experience that's sadly lost these days.

P.S. I feel warm and fuzzy inside because the first two posts have me in their sig.
Quote by Crazyedd123
Am I the only person to notice that game manuals have gotten smaller and smaller over time. Some games nowadays just come with a piece of paper.

Btw, this isn't really a complaint or anything (save the trees. etc.) but, it's kinda strange how they're doing this.

Personally, I think it's a way of padding the game out. Instead of telling you how to play the game in the manual, they make you play through tutorials which seems like a cop out to me.
Oh well, maybe I've just noticed it in certain games, I wouldn't be surprised if there are still some games which have bibles inside the case

Why? I can guarantee you that it takes a lot more human effort and man hours to make an in-game tutorial than it does to put the info into a booklet and send it to the printers.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
I remember giant game manuals with backstory and character bios and things like that. Now you get a sheet of paper saying "This circle is where you fire the bullets at, right trigger to fire, try not to get shot".
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by lushacrous

I'm guessing you've never played Black and White
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Eh, never bothered with em. If i want to play a game i'll figure out the controls while playing.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by doomded
Why? I can guarantee you that it takes a lot more human effort and man hours to make an in-game tutorial than it does to put the info into a booklet and send it to the printers.

Pretty much this. Someone needs to animate the character and everything around him, an artist to make it all look pretty, modelers to build it, voice actors to narrate it, and some poor smhuck to program it.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by Crazyedd123

my brother and i talked about this.

I miss the days of reading the manuals which usually had character bios, little neat stories, or some funny whatnot. like those found in GTA3 and twisted metal etc etc
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Last edited by Wesseem at Dec 21, 2011,
Quote by redhotsexmagic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kexNH1H8qJM here's a real life game manual

I noticed the 'In Rainbows' poster. You got the job buddy, YOU GOT THE JOB!

OT: What's the largest manual you guys have seen before? I heard The Witcher had a large manual.
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
It makes me sad. I remember back in the day when I would rent a game, I would always be psyched if the game came with a manual. I loved them.
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
oh yeah, reading the manual as the game was installing was always fun.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
The best thing used to be reading through the manual on the way home from the store when you buy the game. As a great blues man once said, "The Thrill is Gone"

Not exactly a frequent poster.
Quote by Crazyedd123
I noticed the 'In Rainbows' poster. You got the job buddy, YOU GOT THE JOB!

OT: What's the largest manual you guys have seen before? I heard The Witcher had a large manual.

I'd probably have to go back to the N64 to find the biggest I own. I remember Ocarina of Time having a pretty big one.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
I remember when me and my brother bought L4D at our dad's. We didn't have the Xbox at his house so the anticipation for playing it was great.

I just ended up reading the manual like 3-5 times on the train back.
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
I used to love reading the manuals to games. I would read them all the way through before even turning on the game, that way I had some idea as to what I was doing.

I find that a lot more PC games are lacking in size or don't even come with one. Im hoping skyrim has an very detailed one.
Quote by celticstorm84
endless supply of cats = endless supply of food.

Quote by Calibos
I've also noticed that as i've got older, I want to be further and further away from the front at a gig. Damn kids with their mushy pits and walls of doom.
I liked when manuals had a lot of concept art. It's a shame they sell them to you as "deluxe editions".

Example:

http://es.scribd.com/doc/6166395/Chrono-Trigger-Manual
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Last edited by Ostinattos at Nov 8, 2011,
Quote by tunamelt
The best thing used to be reading through the manual on the way home from the store when you buy the game. As a great blues man once said, "The Thrill is Gone"

Yup, this sums it up for me too.
Quote by darkstar2466
I haven't purchased a video game in years. This is news to me.

Same, I haven't really noticed this. The last game I bought was Forza 4 and I was so excited to play it I didn't even look for a manual.
Nostalgia

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Momentosis
Nostalgia

Pretty much.

Ocarina of Time, Banjo-Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing. At least, those are them for me. None of these modern cookie-cutter FPS games.
MATTERHORN
Quote by doomded

It serves as game padding to make it feel longer.
Steam /PSN/Most Accounts - rjdusa
SCII: rjdusa :351
New Super Mario Bros Wii comes with a huge manual, but mostly because it's in English, Spanish, and French.
Quote by tunamelt

This.
It's expensive to make big, thick, and pretty manuals. Kids don't use them nor care about them these days and only a small percentage probably ever really did. Seems video game developers are finally acting on this reality.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by cornmancer
Longest manual I've had was Neverwinter Nights 2. Thing was a ****ing novel that taught me how to play a game I swear.

Yep all that D&D thing couldn't exactly fit in a tutorial. That game is awesome.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
I always remember reading game manuals as soon as I got a new game. Then they started turning black and white, and then they just got tiny and now they're terrible
Quote by lushacrous

Not this

DubEdit: The guy below me knows what's up.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Last edited by dubstar92 at Nov 18, 2011,
There are quite a few games that have digital manuals too, along with the in-game tutorials and such.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
I used to love reading the manual. I remember that when Gears of War 3 came out, I got quite pissed at that "manual". It was like two sheets of paper.
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 AC BXP 4-String Bass
Fender BXR 60 watt
Squier Fender Stratocaster 20th anniversary edition\
Pignose acoustic
Samick D1/SN
Page 1 of 2