Okay, so I have a Jackson Dinky (one of the 200$ish models) and I use just regular strings. Would it hurt my guitar to tune it down to Drop B?
As long as it is setup to go that low, it should be ok. Truss rod would need adjusting etc
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Wont hurt it but you might need heavier gauge strings to make it sound better.
How would I go about doing that? Thanks!

Ah I see, thanks everyone. I'll change strings here soon! Any recommendations?
Last edited by Bazz22 at Nov 8, 2011,
Quote by Bazz22
How would I go about doing that? Thanks!

Ah I see, thanks everyone. I'll change strings here soon! Any recommendations?

Probably 12-54's or 12-56's. You wont want anything lower than that :P Make sure your nut fits the strings. I had to file down the top one on my guitar to fit a 52 guage string. If you are unsure on doing all this, take your guitar to a local guitar tech or guitar shop and let them do it. I did that but also watched them so i knew for myself how to do it
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
I don't know if it's that safe without a setup. I had 9's on my guitar and I went to drop Bb. My 6th string popped off in a day. I use 11's now, works just fine, but you may still need a setup moving to a higher gauge, as you will get fret buzz.

Sometimes high gauge strings just wear into the setup you have, like mine did.

Again, strongly recommend thicker strings for tuning that low.
11-56 if you're used to 9's.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'm not sure why it wouldn't be "safe". your guitar isn't going to snap in half by tuning to something other than standard.

Just get thicker strings to keep the tension the same. Cut and dried.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I'm not sure why it wouldn't be "safe". your guitar isn't going to snap in half by tuning to something other than standard.

Just get thicker strings to keep the tension the same. Cut and dried.

No but detuning that low COULD have bad effects on the neck.