Hey guys, I'm trying to decide on a practice amp that I could use on the go easily. I'm trying to decide between a Roland Micro Cube and a Marshall MS-2.

Both are battery powered and not too expensive. I really only need it to be able to have a loud enough clean channel (which I've heard the MS-2 has problems with) for multiple people to hear in a somewhat large room.

I have an MXR fullbore metal distortion pedal so I am not too concerned with the distortion on either (though it will have to be able to take the pedal obviously )
I like the portability of the MS-2 since it has a belt clip and is much smaller.

Any help from you guys on which is better would be great. I'm open to suggestions if you know of a better amp too.
Microcube.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
The Roland, no question.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The MS-2 is garbage. I have one. I had to rewire it because the controls broke after very little use. And it never sounded good, although it's livable through an MFX pedal, I guess. It might repond well to your distortion pedal. I was thinking about the Orange micro crush, but it wasn't available locally and I was getting impatient, so I went to the store to buy a Roland (I like their digital pianos and V-drums), but one of my friends there showed me the VOX DA5. It has much more bottom end than the Roland and sounds so much better. Also it's a lot more versatile. I use mine just about every day, even though I also have a decent Marshall half stack. I save the tubes on that for band practice and shows.

The DA5 is discontinued, so it might be hard to find a new one. I'm not sure its replacement compares; looks like a smaller speaker, so it might not be able to keep up the bottom end. You can probably still find a new one on eBay sometimes.

People will have no problem hearing a DA5 in a large room. I've used mine in loud bars before on the 5-watt setting. It's the loudest 5-watt amp I've heard.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Nov 8, 2011,
Go with the microcube! Ive had mine for a year and it hasnt let me down.
microcube.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Roland Microcube all the way if you want battery power.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
The new Yamaha lunch box thing. Crazy delicious.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb