Can it work? If so, what would be a good idea to help my playing lean more towards that style? The style is similar but different.

Thanks!!!

-Calvin
it'll help you expand your playing
Quote by darkstar2466
You will get large cacti inserted into your anus for the heinous crime of piracy.

Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
I wanna go down on you Jesus, I wanna feel your salvation all over my face

My signature lacks content.
It is, however, blue.
Quote by MetalFriend
Can it work?

of course it can. why wouldn't it be able to work?

If so, what would be a good idea to help my playing lean more towards that style? The style is similar but different.

listen to that style of music? learn songs in that style?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
It'll broaden your horizons as a guitar player.
Just a sub-par guitar player..

Quote by darkstar2466
Let's make this the Pit's motto:

"Forever alone, together"

IS THIS FREEDOM, OR CONFINEMENT?! FREE MOSCOE_ESPANOL!!!
It can work, but you have to like the style. For a while I was getting offers to join a punk rock cover band. It's one of the most popular bands in my area, but I knew I could never be happy with that band.

But as long as you like it, go for it.
Of course it will work. It'll be good for you too as a player. "Expanding your horizons/capabilities/blahblahblah. Why do you think so many metalhead guitarist end up playing for shitty pop acts? They take the gigs they can get, however different they may be from what they really want to do. At least until the time comes that they can open up in the style they really want to play.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Just do it hey. I'm a metal player but I play for country and rock peoples.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
I've done that a couple times, it's never worked out for me.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
It works really well as long as you are open to it.

My band is sort of a grunge band and our last drummer was a post-hardcore kinda guy.

He didn't know how to do it at first but eventually learned a simpler, more effective style which fit us better, and now he's a better drummer all around for it.
Quote by theogonia777
of course it can. why wouldn't it be able to work?

Musical differences...bands break up all the time due to this...

As someone who has been in the situation, I can tell you mine ended up not working out.
I'm into alternative/indie type music and just straight rock. Mind you I'm very open so I thought it would be fine when a friend had started singing with a heavier group who was looking for a guitarist..it started out fine, I even started digging some of the heavier stuff I usually wouldn't have listened too...however sooner than later, long story short, even though they all said they didn't plan on being too heavy and they'd accept my input, when it came to making a setlist, it was mostly heavy stuff and all my suggestions were cut. Not to mention they were the type of metal heads who thought it was simply play loud and you'll sound good.
Anyway, I didn't even make it to the first show with them, we all agreed it'd be best if I just made my way out after 5 or 6 rehearsals.

TL;DR: It is possible I suppose, but it depends on the styles differences, how open you are, how cooperative the other members are, etc.
Should you give it a shot, why not? Just don't commit if you're unhappy.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
It could if you are willing to make sacrifices.

Personally, I could never do this. I'd rather start a band anyway, I have no interest in joining already existing bands.
You gotta start somewhere.

Fun fact: The guitarist for Hinder actually dislikes the music.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator

Fun fact: The guitarist for Hinder actually dislikes the music.

Fun fact: Everyone dislikes their music
Quote by blake1221
Fun fact: Everyone dislikes their music

Fun fact: blake1221 loves blake1221's music
I do, I'm a top listener of my own band on last.fm.

In part because I'm the only one with my CD still.
I do grungey punky stuff, and I played with a blues act for a year or so. The only reason it broke up was because the guitarist turned into a douche. Musically, I learned an awful lot from it, and I ended up adding my own flavour to the previously straight-blues sound, which they seemed to like. We walked away friends, all better for it.

Seriously, assuming you make friends and you like the music, its one of the best things you can do.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Quote by blake1221
I do, I'm a top listener of my own band on last.fm.

In part because I'm the only one with my CD still.

d'aww, such a hipster band

How "big" is your band?
Quote by bradulator
d'aww, such a hipster band

How "big" is your band?

They range from 5.5 to 7 inches
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
They range from 5.5 to 7 inches

Pretty average then.

NUTHIN BUT AVERAGE
Quote by McTodd
I do grungey punky stuff, and I played with a blues act for a year or so. The only reason it broke up was because the guitarist turned into a douche. Musically, I learned an awful lot from it, and I ended up adding my own flavour to the previously straight-blues sound, which they seemed to like. We walked away friends, all better for it.

Seriously, assuming you make friends and you like the music, its one of the best things you can do.

I was in the same boat with a band for awhile until i left. Kinda wish i didn't now
Quote by bradulator
Pretty average then.

NUTHIN BUT AVERAGE

In due time, I'll share.

And by due time, I mean I'm probably setting up the bandcamp for the album tomorrow, with freebies for my homies, obviously.
if its just for fun and playin gigs then it worked for me. though being in basically a four year strong ripoff band wasnt really ideal for me but i had a blast.

Quote by blake1221
In due time, I'll share.

And by due time, I mean I'm probably setting up the bandcamp for the album tomorrow, with freebies for my homies, obviously.

what genre?
Last edited by turncoat60% at Nov 9, 2011,
Quote by turncoat60%

what genre?

Pop punk with different shit thrown in.

Best way I know how to describe it.
Quote by blake1221
In due time, I'll share.