me and my band are playing slow-alternative rock. may i ask whats a good gadget/pad to get?but i did have my watch on a H2O by visual sound. is it any good?
Quote by StayClose
me and my band are playing slow-alternative rock. may i ask whats a good gadget/pad to get?but i did have my watch on a H2O by visual sound. is it any good?

Do you mean guitar effects pedal? Since you mentioned the H2O I'm going to guess that is what you meant.

What amplifier do you have?
Get a POG, they're a lotta fur. Or maybe a digitech Whammy pad. It really depends on your 'fier
Quote by StayClose
my budget is about a 100 bucks.

and yes im looking for a pedal.

What you need is a new amp.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by StayClose
my budget is about a 100 bucks.

and yes im looking for a pedal.

Please answer "What amplifier are you currently using"? If its a Spider/MG or any really low end practice amp, forget getting effects pedals, its not worth spending the cash on.

Otherwise what are you trying to achieve or fix by getting effects, you said alt rock is the genre but not what you are really going for.
Quote by StayClose
im currently using a behringer GM108.

Save your money.
Quote by StayClose
im currently using a behringer GM108.

Save money, sell amp, get better amp
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Sputnik1
Save your money.

ummm..so im not going to buy a new pad?
Quote by StayClose
ummm..so im not going to buy a new pad?

A new effects pedal you mean?

I wouldn't recommend it through that amp. Your amplifier is the most important factor in shaping your tone
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
A new effects pedal you mean?

I wouldn't recommend it through that amp. Your amplifier is the most important factor in shaping your tone

i see, but ill take my amp as a temporary amplifier. in the mean time im looking for a good pedal, because me and my band will be moving to recording a song. so as of the moment i don't need my amp, im only using it for practical sessions with myself.
Quote by StayClose
i see, but ill take my amp as a temporary amplifier. in the mean time im looking for a good pedal, because me and my band will be moving to recording a song. so as of the moment i don't need my amp, im only using it for practical sessions with myself.

If you don't know what kind of pedal you want and what you are trying to achieve then you shouldn't be spending your money on one. You need to do research first.
Quote by StayClose

What kind of effect at you looking for?

For 100 dollars, you could get a Peavey Vypyr 15w brand new.

It would be better than your current amp and has plenty of effects.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Sputnik1
If you don't know what kind of pedal you want and what you are trying to achieve then you shouldn't be spending your money on one. You need to do research first.

i stated it above, i need some good distortion and overdrive, i was sick and tired of my amps distortion because its sounds really raw and dirty. thats why i am here, to seek help for my first pedal, i was actually expecting a few people to explain to me how is should look for one.

What kind of effect at you looking for?

For 100 dollars, you could get a Peavey Vypyr 15w brand new.

It would be better than your current amp and has plenty of effects.

thanks, im looking for a clean distortion and overdrive. likely a pad that fits into the genre of alternative-rock.

by the way, ive read that a single effects pad is better than a multi effects pad. is it true?
Last edited by StayClose at Nov 8, 2011,
Quote by StayClose
i stated it above, i need some good distortion and overdrive, i was sick and tired of my amps distortion because its sounds really raw and dirty. thats why i am here, so seek help for my first pedal, i was actually expecting a few people to explain to me how is should look for one.

Clearly it does not say distortion or overdrive in any of your previous posts.

Again my answer is new amp.

/thread
Quote by Sputnik1
Clearly it does not say distortion or overdrive in any of your previous posts.

Again my answer is new amp.

/thread

i did say i need something that fits into alternative-rock.
Quote by StayClose
i did say i need something that fits into alternative-rock.

Meh, that doesn't tell us anything.

That is a very broad genre. You don't know what you want, so don't waste your money.

Save for a new amp is our advice, especially since you don't know what you want.

I can suggest a pedal to you if you don't know what it is you want.

tl;dr come back when you are older.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
okay, now im a lot more confused. im 18, i've been playing guitar for 6 years now, i never got interested with pedals. i just got into it when i saw my friend had one (multi-effects pedal, i think it was a POD) i have never tried to use his, im from the alternative genre music trying to get a better tone with my instruments but never got to have a chance because the lack of resources i don't visit the internet this much when looking for instruments cause i just play and play and play the guitar. if you don't think im still not old enough then its okay with me, i was wrong to trust this forum. thanks
A distortion pedal won't change the tone of your Behringer amp. Sorry, but what you really need is a new amp.
Get either a Vypyr combo amp, or save up a bit more and get a Line 6 POD.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
nothing personal its just that everyone on this forum will tell you to get a new amp. not because we're assholes that want to upset you but because we know that you'll never be truly satisfied with the tone of any pedal as long as its going into that amp.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
wy are you looking at a h2o then if you need distortion?

my recommendation is to go to a GC or sam ash and test every pedal they have out on the floor. that should give you a good idea of what tones you need and what pedals give better tones than others.

with boss, digitech, visual sound, etc you can be in a sam ash and test 50+ pedals in 30 min to 1 hr. i mean, i go through em quick because i despise about 90% of them.

if you really have no idea what you need and you have a lower budget with no preference for pedal brands, a mid level multi FX like a pod 300 might serve you well.
Alright, I'm in agreement with everyone else that you REALLY need a new amp, but at the same time, it'd probably be a good idea to give you a basic overview of some bread and butter pedals. Bear in mind that many of them will sound horrible going into your Behringer, though.

The Ibanez Tube Screamer is a classic, bluesy overdrive that you can also use to tighten up an amp's built in distortion. Pretty much any overdrive you see in a green case is heavily based on this one, so it's worth looking around a bit at the variants. HOWEVER, using it through a solid state amp is a very bad idea.

The Boss DS-1 is probably the cheapest distortion pedal most people know about. It's also one of the worst. Avoid this one, no matter what the sales people at guitar center tell you.

The Electro-Harmonix Big Muff is a very well known sound. Look up a few demos on youtube and see if you like what you hear.

The MXR Distortion III, while not particularly well known, is a pretty decent distortion.

Also, seriously - STOP CALLING THEM PADS. You're driving me nuts.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
They're not pads - cut that out.

You need a new amp. Behringer is quite literally the bottom of the barrel in terms of sound quality, and adding a distortion pedal to that mix is just going to make a fuzzy, feedback ridden mess.

If I were you, I would consider doing some research on what distortion actually is, and how it's achieved, so you can get the sound you want, as opposed to buying pedals and trying to get there by random selection. Go take a look at www.gilmourish.com and see what he has to say about distortion and other effects. It's all about Pink Floyd's guitar player David Gilmour, but the lessons are essentially the same across all genres.

If you'd like a recommendation on an amp, I can say that any of the Vox brand tube amps are excellent, and are my preference in terms of sound. The AC4TV is a great option, and will let you get a feel for REAL distortion and overdrive, as opposed to trying to drive transistors and digital sounds. The Bugera V5, Fender Champion 600, and Epiphone Valve Junior are all also in this class of amps - 5 watt tube amplifiers - and are going to be far superior to that digital thing you've been lugging around.

In a nut-shell, save your money, buy a new amp.
What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp.

Did it sink in? Save your money. Pedals are particular about amps so buying one to 'hold you over' is a bad idea. Also a good amp would likely have the sound you want with no pedal. $100 is a decent start to a nice amp. I got my Blues Junior for $300 and its pretty damn good.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp. What you really need is a new amp.

Did it sink in? Save your money. Pedals are particular about amps so buying one to 'hold you over' is a bad idea. Also a good amp would likely have the sound you want with no pedal. $100 is a decent start to a nice amp. I got my Blues Junior for $300 and its pretty damn good.

i don't need the pedal for self-practice sessions, i need it on recording sessions and practice "in a studio" which i think already has good amps, i know my amp is crappy but its only temporary till i get my better amp. in other words im just gonna bring my pedal and leave my amp when practicing.

Quote by Jyrgen
A distortion pedal won't change the tone of your Behringer amp. Sorry, but what you really need is a new amp.

thanks for clearing that out.

Quote by ikey_
wy are you looking at a h2o then if you need distortion?

my recommendation is to go to a GC or sam ash and test every pedal they have out on the floor. that should give you a good idea of what tones you need and what pedals give better tones than others.

with boss, digitech, visual sound, etc you can be in a sam ash and test 50+ pedals in 30 min to 1 hr. i mean, i go through em quick because i despise about 90% of them.

if you really have no idea what you need and you have a lower budget with no preference for pedal brands, a mid level multi FX like a pod 300 might serve you well.

yes i need the distortion, on the other hand i also wanted to ask if H20 is any better. they're basically two different topics.

Quote by FrustratedRocka
Alright, I'm in agreement with everyone else that you REALLY need a new amp, but at the same time, it'd probably be a good idea to give you a basic overview of some bread and butter pedals. Bear in mind that many of them will sound horrible going into your Behringer, though.

The Ibanez Tube Screamer is a classic, bluesy overdrive that you can also use to tighten up an amp's built in distortion. Pretty much any overdrive you see in a green case is heavily based on this one, so it's worth looking around a bit at the variants. HOWEVER, using it through a solid state amp is a very bad idea.

The Boss DS-1 is probably the cheapest distortion pedal most people know about. It's also one of the worst. Avoid this one, no matter what the sales people at guitar center tell you.

The Electro-Harmonix Big Muff is a very well known sound. Look up a few demos on youtube and see if you like what you hear.

The MXR Distortion III, while not particularly well known, is a pretty decent distortion.

Also, seriously - STOP CALLING THEM PADS. You're driving me nuts.

yes im aware that its going to sound terrible with my amp, but i won't be using that thing. im just going for that recording sessions. thanks for the examples.
sry bout the pad things.

btw that Big Muff sounds great.
Last edited by StayClose at Nov 9, 2011,
Quote by StayClose

yes i need the distortion, on the other hand i also wanted to ask if H20 is any better. they're basically two different topics.

You want to know if a chorus is better than a distortion?
if the recording studio has decent amps then you don't need a distortion pedal at all. a good studio will have an amp or two that have decent distortion with no help needed. presumably they will aslo have fx on hand as well.
Quote by monwobobbo
if the recording studio has decent amps then you don't need a distortion pedal at all. a good studio will have an amp or two that have decent distortion with no help needed. presumably they will aslo have fx on hand as well.

thats true, but i do need a better sound other than raw amp overdrive/distortion..
Quote by StayClose
thats true, but i do need a better sound other than raw amp overdrive/distortion..

That is why we are telling you to get a better amp because raw overdrive/distortion from a good amp is much better than getting a sub par distortion pedal and running it through a sub par amp.