so i'm hoping this is the right forum if not ill move it. but anyways i want to put my jackson king V in drop c (its in standard now with 10s). it has a floyd rose and a 25.5" scale. what is the best string gauge for drop c?
I'd just bump it up to .11's for drop c.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by Cyngus
so i'm hoping this is the right forum if not ill move it. but anyways i want to put my jackson king V in drop c (its in standard now with 10s). it has a floyd rose and a 25.5" scale. what is the best string gauge for drop c?

No such thing.
It is 100% your preference.
Some people would go "drop c? 12-60s!" and others might just stick with 9-42s.
It depends on what feel you want out of it.
Quote by Darkness in Zero
No such thing.

QFT
You might even like the 10's you have in drop c. Why not change your set up with your current strings and see what they feel like to you. If they seem too floppy, go up to 11's. Hopefully you know how to properly set up the FR of yours.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Darkness in Zero
No such thing.

This is the only correct answer.

I use Dunlop Heavy Cores 12-56, and despite that my low C still isn't tight enough for my preference. I like the tension on all the other strings though. So threadjack: any suggestions for me?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I like 10-52s or 11-52s. It's all preference. But what I've found is that when it comes to the heavier low end strings, you start to lose attack for clarity. A .60 in drop C is gunna sound beefy and clear, but it's not gunna have the attack of a .52 or something lighter.

So really, it's TOTALLY your preference.

@offworld: I used to use 13-59s. There's a d'addario makes for 7 strings, 10-59, and I would just throw out the high E string. It was awesome. And the wounded G made for deadly octave chords and such. I've recently begun using 11-52s, just out of sonic preference, but 13-59s might work for you.
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
Geez, I don't know if I could do a 13 on the high e. Haha.

I'm contemplating if I'd like a wound G or not. I'm the lead guitarist in my band (and just a much more lead oriented player than rhythm in general), so idk if having a G harder to bend would be good.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well, in my experience, the G being wound is nicer...at least for me. I don't like the texture nor the tone of a super tight plain G. The G's put in 12 packs and higher just bother me sonically. :P

And yeah, I find them more comfortable and such. But like I said, it's all preference! You can always mix and match sets. I know there's weird hybrid sets for super low rhythm and slinky-esque leads. I saw a set online once that was 10-60s.

Here you are, here's a set example:

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/6531/Guitars/Strings/GHS/Zakk_Wylde_Boomers_10-60_Electric_Strings.htm
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
Ewww GHS.

And dizzam. 11-70.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i use DR Alexi Laiho 56-10 strings for Drop B, C, and D standard and because i pick hard i need a thicker gauge of string and all my guitars are 25.5" with floyd's
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
Quote by Offworld92
Ewww GHS.

And dizzam. 11-70.

.70 for a low C?

Are you serious?

.52 bare min for C, a .54 or .56 would be perfect. .70 is like, 8 string territory.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Some people here believe that you must use industrial steel cables for guitar strings. I don't know about the rest of you, but I like being able to bend without straining the shit out of my hand in the process.

I use 10-52's, as those give the best of both worlds: heavy bottom strings for thick rhythm playing, but light high strings for intense bending. You could try 11-56 if you like your strings a bit thicker. My playing involves a lot of bending so I like my strings lighter than the standard.
i use 12-56 for drop c (and d standard)

if u have floyd rose bridge u might need to add springs to the back. i had to add 2
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
Quote by jeffmetalhead
i use DR Alexi Laiho 56-10 strings for Drop B, C, and D standard and because i pick hard i need a thicker gauge of string and all my guitars are 25.5" with floyd's

I use the same strings for Drop C and D tuning, although I've never tried any thick string gauges at these tunings so I have nothing to compare them to.
I use 9's in E standard on my Jackson. If I was going to tune it to Drop C, I'd probably go with something like 10's or 10-52.

If you want, you can use an online calculator where you stick in your tuning and string gauge and it'll tell you how much tension is on the strings. If you like how they feel now, just play around until you get a result with the tension being pretty similar to what you have now.

http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html
I'd say 11-48 is the lightest set you'd use before it was too floppy, but it's a preference thing.

I'd recommend the Dunlop Heavy Core 11-50 set.
I currently use 10-56 for drop C on the same scale length. It's pretty comfortable, and the low C doesn't flop at all.
Quote by Tango616
.70 for a low C?

Are you serious?

.52 bare min for C, a .54 or .56 would be perfect. .70 is like, 8 string territory.

I was just saying dizzam at the thought of it. Not that I would actually consider using it.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I was just saying dizzam at the thought of it. Not that I would actually consider using it.

Ah, my bad then, was hoping you weren't suggesting a .70 for C
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I use a custom set. Here's the approximate tension in pounds at 25.5":

D .010" PL == 12.87#
A, .013" PL == 12.21#
F, .017" Pl == 13.15#
C, .028" nw == 16.91#
G,, .038" nw == 17.13#
C,, .058" nw == 17.87#

Light higher strings, and tighter lower strings. Honestly, I could probably drop the tension on the lower strings by just a little bit. But that's what I use and I think it sounds good.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Definitely, if 10-46 is for standard, then 11-52 is more suitable for Drop C tuning. You might want to adjust the action if it has a floating tremolo. That's how I do it.