Hi everybody. I'm looking to upgrade my squier tele custom, and am thinking about either the ibanez rg321MH or the rg350dxz. I really don't care about your opinion of the guitar, because i'm going to play it to make sure *I* like it. The main difference is the EDGE III vibrato and the fixed bridge. They're pretty different in price from what i've seen, and everything is basically the same. Is it worth the extra money for a vibrato? I play Metallica the most, and although Kirk does use the vibrato, the wah is more obvious/frequent. In your opinion, should I spend the extra money for a sound that i have not found i really need(the tele is fixed)? Thanks for an honest answer not "da dere bugit geetar suks cuz its not da quality of mi 4,000 doller les pail." I'm aware it's not extreme quality :P
I've heard terrible things about the Edge III, wouldn't recommend that particular tremolo. If you think you're actually going to use it then go for it.

EDIT: Ill add a bit more. It really doesn't matter if you actually have no need for it, just about every guitar accessory could be dubbed as unneeded; think about people with massive pedalboards. It's all about having fun.
West Ham United
Last edited by King Donkey at Nov 8, 2011,
If you don't need it or use it, don't get it. It will only be an annoyance. I guess just sit in the store and play with some guitars, see if you can see yourself using one. And please, read the FR setup sticky before doing anything if you do buy them. They aren't hard to maintain, but you do have to know what you're doing.

hawk5211 is right though... the Edge III is a pretty bad trem. If you do decide you want a trem, try to find a guitar you like with a different one.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by King Donkey
It's all about having fun.

I completly agree, some people can't realize that guitar is supposed to be fun
Quote by NoiseMaker97
I'm gonna guess new p'ups, since stocks ones normally are mediocre?

For me, the stock bridge pup sounded ok (its currently in my Squier 51 (and it is alnico)), but the ceramic neck pup sounded atrocious.
Not sure I'd worry about the pickups on a $300 guitar, but I guess that depends on your amp and how picky you are. Finding a passable trem on a sub $500 guitar isn't going to be easy. Maybe look for a used Ibanez S series guitar that has the ZR bridge.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
what i did is to note in a paper every time i needed a tremolo when i play guitar in a month and by the end of it i realized it was like 1 or 2 so i got a fixed bridge (after that got mi washburn) which in the paper should be > than mi viper but i just don't like fr ( unless when it's necessary, dive-bombs 4 instance)
I would say, go on youtube and look at a bunch of live videos of the bands that play the type of music you like to play. See how many times they actually use it. Then make up your mind if it is worth the pain in the ass to have one.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
It's all about what you need/want...I personally never use it so I've blocked the trem on all my strats.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
In your case I wouldn't get a trem.
I on the other hand cannot live without one.
Also my edge 3 is 5 years old. Still perfectly fine.
The real problem with edge 3 is stupid kids setting them up badly and ruining the knife edge.
The materials used may be slightly cheaper, but its a solid trem I have abused for years.
Quote by DarthV
Not sure I'd worry about the pickups on a $300 guitar, but I guess that depends on your amp and how picky you are. Finding a passable trem on a sub $500 guitar isn't going to be easy. Maybe look for a used Ibanez S series guitar that has the ZR bridge.

^ This. Edge III trems are bad (in my experience). Due to the low-profile, they're convenient for low action/sleek playability, but they don't stay in tune as well as a ZR or its Licensed Floyd comparative, and I've had quite a few troubles with the Edge IIIs on a couple of Ibbys I've owned.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

My opinion - No they aren't worth it, especially dealing with the headache of a floyd rose. But then again if you want to do crazy dive bombs, then that's what you'll need. Otherwise, i see it as an unnecessary evil. I always go for fixed bridge now.
If you're looking at a lower end ibanez no.
If you don't have any other decent guitars with a hard tail for different tunings no.
In my case, I will never get another guitar without a floyd. Just doesnt make sense.

Unless you know you will never ever use it.

You can get a floyd and block it off if you want so it doesnt float
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
i like having a tremolo not because i use it a lot but because i like knowing that i can play a solo with a lot of bends and go straight into the next riff without being worried about being out of tune
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
The way I see it, if you even have to ask, then a vibrato is usually a waste of time an money. Unless you find yourself constantly wishing you could be wanking away at a trem arm you will end up being another member of the legion of guys who have a block of wood shoved a trem cavity.
Quote by jpnyc
The way I see it, if you even have to ask, then a vibrato is usually a waste of time an money. Unless you find yourself constantly wishing you could be wanking away at a trem arm you will end up being another member of the legion of guys who have a block of wood shoved a trem cavity.

I have 2 guitars with full-floating trems that I don't use very often and I have no complaints.
If you don't care much about tremolos, then a tremolo-equipped guitar isn't really worth it. I tried one of the RG's a long time ago and it had a really horrible tuning stability.