Hey guys, I'm going to be in the market for some new pickups for my G&L Legacy soon. It sounds alright presently, but they're the original pups that it was born with in '94, and they squeal with anything higher than low to mid-gain settings, so I figured it's time to replace them.
I've mostly been looking at higher of the spectrum replacements, Lollar, Fralin, Anderson and the like. Both Lollar Blackface and Blonde pups intrigue me, as well as TA's single coil line and Suhr Fletcher Landau pups if I I could find them anywhere.

As far as tone goes, this guitar will be my workhorse for clean guitars in the studio, and any other midgainy tone that might suit a straty tone. God help me, if I ever have to play covers again, I'll probably use this guitar as well.

Any experience with those listed, or other awesome sets I might've overlooked would be appreciated. I'll be running this guitar through one of either : Rivera K-Tre Reverb, ENGL Invader 100, H&K Triamp, and maybe a VHT Pittbull.

Thanks
Last edited by rokket2005 at Nov 9, 2011,
Those are all good brands. Also look into BG-pups.com they are handwound and custom made just like lollars or fralins but not as pricey. The owner is easy to deal with and will work with you to get you what you want.
thanks! I have a BG Hellabucker, and I really like it, but I've never heard much about his singlecoils. I'll admit I am a little put off by his 6 week wait time though. I'll dig around and see what people are saying about those though too
thanks for the suggestion. I had a set of lace's in an old mim 60th strat I had. I think red, silver, and gold set. I didn't mind them, but they definitely weren't on par with some of the anderson single coils that I've tried out. I'm not a fan of active pickups either
Quote by rokket2005
thanks for the suggestion. I had a set of lace's in an old mim 60th strat I had. I think red, silver, and gold set. I didn't mind them, but they definitely weren't on par with some of the anderson single coils that I've tried out. I'm not a fan of active pickups either

um... they're not active they use a different technology. the hot gold's are a slightly hotter version of 50s style fender pups. they are used by eric clapton and jeff beck amoungst others.
Quote by monwobobbo
um... they're not active they use a different technology. the hot gold's are a slightly hotter version of 50s style fender pups. they are used by eric clapton and jeff beck amoungst others.

um... He said he's used them and they're not what he's looking for... What else do you need to hear?

Ben - Have you heard CS69s? I don't have much experience with pick ups, but to me these are the strat sound in a nutshell. Much better than Fender noiseless.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by monwobobbo

Huh,, I guess the strat I had had some sort of boost circuit jimmy-rigged in then, cause there def was a 9v chillin in the pup cavity that I had to replace once upon a time.

Quote by tubetime86

Ben - Have you heard CS69s? I don't have much experience with pick ups, but to me these are the strat sound in a nutshell. Much better than Fender noiseless.

Thanks dan, I'll check those out too.
Check out TDM Pickups, built by a UGer and I love my humbucker set.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by rokket2005
thanks! I have a BG Hellabucker, and I really like it, but I've never heard much about his singlecoils. I'll admit I am a little put off by his 6 week wait time though. I'll dig around and see what people are saying about those though too

What kinda guitar do you have the Hellabucker in if you don't mind me asking?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
It's in my epi lp custom. I was going to get another for my CT6, but I got an anderson h3+ instead. I had an h2 a while back that I liked for bridge, and I really like Billy Howerdels tone on the first two apc albums, so I wanted to try the h3+.

The hellabucker is a really nice pickup though. I havent tried it in anything but my lp, but for any other lp I get in the future the bg will def be on a short list of bridge hums for it.
Thank you. Im looking at ordering one later on after I get a custom 5.

Anywho, what kinda of budget are you looking at for the pickups?
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
no budget really. I plan on having this guitar either for the rest of my life, or until I have a child or nephew/niece who could use a nice guitar, whichever comes first. Most of the pickups I've been looking at are around 240-270 new, and I don't imagine having to spend any more than that. Also,, I guess the suhr Fletcher Landau's have just been renamed to the Mike Landaus. I thought that they had discontinued the FL's and then made the ML's.
i've very happy with the lollar dirty blackface set in my strat fwiw.

when i ordered my loaded guard from lollar i opted for the second tone pot to relate to the bridge pup. that's been a big plus for me.
Thanks Greg! the Blackface set and the suhr ML's are the main ones im considering.
I didn't know that lollar had different versions of the blackface. What else besides dirty is there?
I'll most likely keep the wiring the same though, cause G&L's have a master treble tone and also a master bass tone that I really like.
i think there is the regular blackface set, and the dirty blackface set.

the dirty set has the lollar "S" in the bridge which is slightly hotter than the blackface bridge pup.

iirc.
Blackface set is Gilmour, Blonde set is SRV if you're thinking of something specific. The Suhr ML set is somewhat in between. I've got a V60LP middle lying around that's pretty cool too.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Thanks Matt, I like all of those tones, and if the ML's are somewhere in between that might be my best bet. I really like Tom Quayle's tone too, and he uses the ml's.
Quote by tubetime86
um... He said he's used them and they're not what he's looking for... What else do you need to hear?

The golds are supposed to actually sound good. They are highly regarded, while the set he had are not. They are supposed to be more humbucker like, and as such they sound dull and muddy.
i really like my sinners.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
I want more of a low output vintage type of sound for this guitar, arent sinners like 16k min?
I'm sure that the lace golds sound fine, but I think that the suhr's and lollars would sound a lot better for the type of approach I want.
Ya, Lace Sensors are nice pickups. But not even in the same league as Lollar and Suhr.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Blackface set is Gilmour, Blonde set is SRV if you're thinking of something specific.

i kinda figured that about the blondes, but didn't know that about the blackface set.

I dunno if that's how Jason would describe them but that's definitely what I get out of mine.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I need to try those Lollars.

Also, consider Fender's '57/'62 set, the CS version if you can get them. Works well with both Ash and Alder, very balanced and definitely more interesting than the overstock of Texas Specials. They show up regularly on eBay for $90 shipped or less. They come stock with the Vintage series and have a nice clean and sound nice from mid to not so high gain.