I'm building a switching box, and i have it all figured out except one thing.
I need to activate something with a momentary foot switch, then press it again to turn it off. It will only work with a MOM switch
How can i wire an LED so it stays on when i press the mom switch, then turns off when i press it again?

Any help would be AMAZINGGG!
Thanks guys!
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

How would i go about incorporating this into the design i need? Just use a DPDT/DPST MOM Switch?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

Need more info. You said you had it all figured out other than activating a LED. What is it you are trying to do?
It's a footswitch for a few pedals i'm building into a rack unit. basically, the pedal is turned on/off by a mom. switch, and i want an LED on the footswitch.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

Would i wire it up just like that or would i have to make some alterations? I'm a complete n00b with Relays, asing i've never used them before :/
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

hmm if you were going directly off that diagram you could use the other contacts on the relay pins 11, 13 and 9 which would act as a SPST or SPDT switch if im reading it correct you would have your common power for the led on pin 13 then have the led on either pin 11 or 9 then when sw1 is pressed it will stay on until pressed again. i think this should work but am not 100% as i haven't done it myself.
Like i said before, i'm a complete N00b with relays. Never even seen one haha
Don't mean to be cheeky, but could someone draw up a quick wiring diagram? )
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

You're going to need some entry level of electronics to kind of understand what needs doing even with a passive relay switch circuit.

This circuit should help you. Yes, the below is entry level

+V pedal is the positive supply line to the pedal(s). The relay contacts are SPST. Press the mom switch (SPST) and the relay coil energises, the LED turns on and the relays contacts close and provide power to the pedal(s). Press the mom switch again and its cuts power to the pedals and the LED

The relay you'll need to get should activate at around 5volts across the coil, 25mA coil current (200ohm coil resistance), SPST

The LED is a standard 5mm LED, 20mA - 30mA forward current (green is nice )

Adjust the 500ohm pot (just a little adjustable one, not the full size jobs with the turning shaft you find on guitar controls) so after pressing the mom switch the relay coil has around 25mA flowing through it as this also lights the LED and closes the relay contact which connects power to the pedal(s). When pressing the mom switch a second time it open contacts the relay and kills power to the pedals and the LED turns off. Press the mom again and everything switches back on, etc, etc.
The pot value should be around 100 - 130 ohms to take account of any variances in the relay coil resistance and LED forward volt drop. Once its set, you dont need to touch it again.

Stick it all in a stomp box with foot duty mom switch, with 3 power connectors:
12v power in to power the circuit
Pedal power in (whatever voltage that is from your pedal's power supply)
Pedal power out (to your pedal)

EDIT: Dont go chopping up your pedals power connectors etc to do this. Its not safe practice and also renders them useless if you ever decide not to use the switch box. Get new connectors and cables all round for your in/out connections which mate correctly with your power supply and pedal power connectors

Good luck.
Attachments:
Toggle.jpg
Last edited by Phoenix V at Nov 12, 2011,
I've wired up a few boost & Fuzz pedals, so i know a little!
but i'll take a look at that Thanks a lot!
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna