Hey there...

I'm looking for a practice amp. I want something pretty small, and simple, that won't wake up the neighbors if I keep it low! The sales guy at Guitar Center recommended a Fender Mustang. I don't want to spend more than approx. $100.

Any suggestions?

thanks!
Learn from yesterday, live for today, HOPE for tomorrow.

Courage is grace under pressure.

Don't give up!

Illustrious acts high RAPTURES do infuse, and every conqueror creates a muse.
For what kind of music?

Willing to buy used?
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Go check out the little Roland Microcubes. They put out a pretty good sound for their size and price.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by seabiscuit
Hey there...

I'm looking for a practice amp. I want something pretty small, and simple, that won't wake up the neighbors if I keep it low! The sales guy at Guitar Center recommended a Fender Mustang. I don't want to spend more than approx. $100.

Any suggestions?

thanks!

At this price, you can get pretty much any 15w practice amp made by Vox, Fender, Marshall, Line 6, Peavey, Roland, etc.

I suggest staying away from Marshall and Line 6 though.

What genre of music do you play?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I have a peavey vypyr 15 and its amazing. It costed a little more than 100 usd here in india. Its amazing. I think its the best Amp for 100$. Dont get anything else. Roland Microcubes are pretty good but they cost quite a bit more and I dont think its really loud enough for jamming. Then again the amp you'll be buying isnt meant for jamming. But I'd still go with the vypyr. Its worth every single cent you pay for it. Really check out the vypyr. Its got amazing cleans and distortions. Its got 11 rack effects too. Dont get the Microcube or any other amp. It wont be as good as the vypyr in that price range. http://peavey.com/products/instamplifiers/guitaramps/vypyr/index.cfm/item/116752/index.html
Check it out! If your going used, Get the vypyr 30. Its even better, with 12 (I think) Built in stompboxes.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
Quote by amithkallupalam
I have a peavey vypyr 15 and its amazing. It costed a little more than 100 usd here in india. Its amazing. I think its the best Amp for 100$. Dont get anything else. Roland Microcubes are pretty good but they cost quite a bit more and I dont think its really loud enough for jamming. Then again the amp you'll be buying isnt meant for jamming. But I'd still go with the vypyr. Its worth every single cent you pay for it. Really check out the vypyr. Its got amazing cleans and distortions. Its got 11 rack effects too. Dont get the Microcube or any other amp. It wont be as good as the vypyr in that price range. http://peavey.com/products/instamplifiers/guitaramps/vypyr/index.cfm/item/116752/index.html
Check it out! If your going used, Get the vypyr 30. Its even better, with 12 (I think) Built in stompboxes.

It's a good amp, but I actually like the Vox modellers a bit more. Fender Mustangs aren't bad.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Peavey Vypyr 15 - Hard Rock/Metal
Vox VT15 - Blues/Rock

And i personally think the vypyr is better because its got the ability to save settings, And its more user friendly too. The whole thing is a processor. You can switch from a Clean tone to a really heavy metal sound with the press of a button. I can say that the clean tone on the vypyr is pretty good. I like the Fender Twin the most cleanest channel.

The vox is a lot easier to use though. Took me a pretty long time to get a good heavy metal setting on the vypyr but it was definitely worth the time I spent tweakin' it!

Play both of em and get the one that sounds the best! Good luck! And if you ever get a vypyr, feel free to ask me any questions you have!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
^ definitely +1 on the VTs and Vypyrs. TS just go to a music store and try them out along with the mustang and the roland cube.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
^ Way outta his budget i guess.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Get a VOX Pathfinder 15!

Thats what I've done.
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
Custom WG Cab with 2x12 Eminence Swamp Thang

Line 6 POD HD500
My decision process goes like this....

For a $100 amp I'd be inclined to get the Mustang if you want FX built in. If you are into metal then Vypyr would be the go to amp. The Vox Pathfinder if you looking for it to be a pedal platform.
The beauty of the microcube is that it's battery powered so if you want to go busking you're ready to roll. But yeah, either the VT or the Vyper would also be a fine solution. Just go play them and see which one you like best, everybody seems to prefer a different one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
thanks everyone!

the kind of music that I play, mainly rock, pop, some country. I guess I am still a bit of a beginner, so nothing that requires too much for the technically or skilled advanced.

I spoke to my guitar teacher who suggested the vypyr and the guitar center guy said the cubes are good but my teacher isn't familiar with them so I don't know. I am going to try a few different amps out in guitar center around Thanksgiving.

thanks again!
Learn from yesterday, live for today, HOPE for tomorrow.

Courage is grace under pressure.

Don't give up!

Illustrious acts high RAPTURES do infuse, and every conqueror creates a muse.
The Cube is probably the simplest, then the VT, then the Vypyr, but they're all pretty easy to pick up - it's less about technical knowledge and more about ability to read the friggin' manual.

Where the vypyrs really shine is their high gain tones, which are pretty much the best you'll find on any modeling amp short of 1500 bucks. If you don't want high gain, then you're probably better off with a Vox. The VT's have pretty good clean and low gain tones if I remember right. The micro cube's also pretty good for clean, but doesn't have much between clean and hot-rodded-plexi levels of gain. I've never tried the full size cube, though, so I'm not the best one to ask about that either.

Basically, continue with your plan to try all 3.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by seabiscuit
thanks everyone!

the kind of music that I play, mainly rock, pop, some country. I guess I am still a bit of a beginner, so nothing that requires too much for the technically or skilled advanced.

I spoke to my guitar teacher who suggested the vypyr and the guitar center guy said the cubes are good but my teacher isn't familiar with them so I don't know. I am going to try a few different amps out in guitar center around Thanksgiving.

thanks again!

I stand by Vox, but try everything out.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90