So when i have done my alternatepicking exerzises earlyer, i have often made sure i start whith down, then practice starting with a up pick. I have been told by my old teacher that this helps for overall altpicking and stringskipping. However, when i jam to songs/improvise, i start with a down 99% of the time... I also use alot of legato and sweep. Is it necacery to practice starting with a up then? I also like the downstroke sound better... What do you think??
maybe he told you to start with an upstroke because normally for most players upstrokes are weaker than downstroke... another thing is that it might help you with outside picking which is good for string skipping. try write a tab of a lick you practice starting with an upstroke.
The point of practicing something starting with an upstroke and a downstroke is so you can practice your inside and outside picking. Even if you almost always start on your preferred stroke (which most people tend to do) playing a large amount of licks with alternate picking will still require outside and inside picking at some point.
I'm revamping my picking technique at the moment, trying to develop my alternate picking further since I'm generally an economy picker, so I'm in something of the same boat as you. I also alternate starting my exercises on an upstroke or downstroke, because here's the way I look at it: if you're using strict alternate picking, you're going to be using each stroke 50% of the time. That's a significant number, so if you want the sound to be even and clean, it's obviously beneficial to be equally comfortable (or as close as can be) using either picking motion.

It feels strange at first because downpicking is more natural for most players, but once you develop the proper technique and muscle memory for it there can only be benefits.
Sounds like a good idea, I might start doing this. Have you ever tried galloping starting with an upstroke? So much harder!
Quote by Oujou
Get amazing at both, nothing bad could possibly come of it.

+1

Starting with an up stroke is actually a whole different excercise, you will notice that especially when string skipping, i used to think if i mastered one i would just have to adapt one single up stroke and it would all feel the same.. oh boy was i wrong :P
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Where I use down picks and up picks is a rhythmic thing to me, just like with strumming.

Whether I down pick or up pick depends where I am with in the bar, or the beat.

If I am playing 16th notes, which is 4 notes per click, counted 1 e and a, I will go 1-down pick, e-up pick, and-down pick, a-up pick.

If the first 16th note (1) is a rest and the first pick is on the second 16th note (e), then I will start on an up pick.

If the 16th notes in a beat go '1, rest, and, a' the picking would go 1-down, and-down, a-up. But I personally would actually still do the down pick motion on the 'e' and just miss the string, just like when you strum.

The reason I do this is because it is easier to stay in time and keep rhythmicly tight. In most cases, the rhythm is the most important thing with the alternate picking technique, even if your doing some crazy fast solo run.

I hope this makes sense. Its hard to explain with out being able to play it to you on guitar.

I it doesn't make sense just say and I'll try again.
Quote by jkielq91
Where I use down picks and up picks is a rhythmic thing to me, just like with strumming.

Whether I down pick or up pick depends where I am with in the bar, or the beat.

If I am playing 16th notes, which is 4 notes per click, counted 1 e and a, I will go 1-down pick, e-up pick, and-down pick, a-up pick.

If the first 16th note (1) is a rest and the first pick is on the second 16th note (e), then I will start on an up pick.

If the 16th notes in a beat go '1, rest, and, a' the picking would go 1-down, and-down, a-up. But I personally would actually still do the down pick motion on the 'e' and just miss the string, just like when you strum.

The reason I do this is because it is easier to stay in time and keep rhythmicly tight.
In most cases, the rhythm is the most important thing with the alternate picking technique, even if your doing some crazy fast solo run.

I hope this makes sense. Its hard to explain with out being able to play it to you on guitar.

I it doesn't make sense just say and I'll try again.

TS, THIS, is absolutely spot on. Heed this advice.
Last edited by mdc at Nov 10, 2011,