Hey guys. I've been playing guitar for about 1.5 years. But I STILL can't tune my guitar without a tuner and I STILL can't tab songs by ear. Can you guys suggest SIMPLE songs for me to tab by ear? It would be a great help.

Thanks
ggg1 ggg3

Tuning by ear takes a decent amount of time but I recommend you do that every day before playing, then check it with a tuner. I used to want to be able to do it so badly and now I can tune up from new strings and be within a half or quarter tone of A440. Just takes time.

As for easy songs, anything with straight power chords is pretty easy. Seven Nation Army for example.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I've been playing a bit longer then you(2 years), tuning a guitar by ear is something I can't do but I do recognize when I fall out of tune a bit and I can more or less ball park where I should be when I'm changing my tunings. (But hey everyone learns at a different pace). And I'm just now starting to tab out a song by ear, and I have to say it's been a good experience.

I would suggest just sitting down and just learn your guitar top to bottom, then again I fall in to the same category as you and still have a long way to go so I would defer to the more seasoned players.
Quote by behind_you
Hey guys. I've been playing guitar for about 1.5 years. But I STILL can't tune my guitar without a tuner and I STILL can't tab songs by ear. Can you guys suggest SIMPLE songs for me to tab by ear? It would be a great help.

Thanks

First off, all credit to you for wanting to transcribe by ear, you're in a good place doing that mate. S'probably the most important thing you can do as a musician.

Secondly, Suggest A Song Thread.

About tuning, just tune your low E with a tuner, then use the unison method at the 5th fret (4th at G), to see how accurate you get it. Then use the tuner to just tweak it. You're ear will get better, it's just practice.
Quote by behind_you
Hey guys. I've been playing guitar for about 1.5 years. But I STILL can't tune my guitar without a tuner

do you know how? if so how often do you practice tuning?

point being..... you have to do it often if you want to get good at it.

Quote by behind_you

and I STILL can't tab songs by ear. Can you guys suggest SIMPLE songs for me to tab by ear? It would be a great help.

Thanks

Green Day songs are pretty simple.

also try playing the songs you do know by memory instead of reading them off the tab.
always listen.
shred is gaudy music
I would recommend the book "Ear Training for the Contemporary Musician" by Keith Wyatt et al, which is a complete course in developing your ear. He's the guy who teaches the ear training course at MI, and it's basically the same curriculum.

You'll also learn some theory as you do it.
^Thanks everyone! I do know how to tune btw it's just that I can't recognize the pitch very well.

@LivinJoke Thanks for the Link!
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by LivinJoke84
Opening riff to Come As You Are by Nirvana?

That was the first one i ever learnt

lol thats easy enough to do in my head without a guitar lol.

A,A#,B,D,B,D,B,A#,A,E,

-
-
-
-
-----------5--------5--------------7------7
-5--6--7------7-------7--6--5------5
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
Quote by ThatDarnDavid
lol thats easy enough to do in my head without a guitar lol.

A,A#,B,D,B,D,B,A#,A,E,

-
-
-
-
-----------5--------5--------------7------7
-5--6--7------7-------7--6--5------5

yeah, except for the fact that it starts on the open low E string, which unless Im mistaken is tuned down to D...
so I'm sorry, but you failed! lol