Ok UG here's the deal:

Last week I was looking for a decent distortion pedal too give me a modern rock tone (FFAF, Thursday, Early Foos - that JCM 800 style of tone). After a 4 hour stint in GC and Sam Ash, I have a new question. What about a wampler plexiortion?

I really like the tone of digitech hardwire distortion pedal - it was tight, crunchy but a tad fuzzy at high-gain settings. The Visual sound son of hyde really impressed me but I've heard about reliability issues. The TC pedal sucked. The crunchbox was a bit of a one trick pony.

I then I see zzounds are offering a $25 gift card for certain purchases and a Plexitortion fits the bill. It's still a big investment to make but I feel once I have the wampler i will never need another distortion again (aside from a fuzz of course).

Should I get one of the cheaper pedals or take the plunge on the Wampler?

Balls in your court UG....
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Wampler make great pedals, if you want that JCM800 sound the plextortion is definitely one of the better 800 emulators out there.
alternatively there is the pinnacle which is a brownsound/evh emulator and the slostortion which is a soldano slo emulator. the slo is a hotrodded 800, the pedal should get close to the real deal
So it's definitely worth the extra hundred bucks then?
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

I've got the Wampler Pinnacle and I can assure you that it's worth the extra buck. I've only heard the plextortion on youtube reviews, but I would choose it over the other pedals you mentioned.
I use my Pinnacle through a JCM 800 when I'm rehearsing with my band and through a TSL 100 at home, sound great and has never failed me.
Quote by Ola Englund
I'll be getting the SLOstortion tomorrow for a test. I've heard some good things about these pedals!

Quote by Ola Englund
I'll be getting the SLOstortion tomorrow for a test. I've heard some good things about these pedals!

Do a blind demo, something like what Rivera did with their Quianna and Dumble, that would be godlike. and if you play Lord's Resistance you might just expect some babies on your doorstep sometime!
Last edited by stykerwolf at Nov 9, 2011,
Quote by WtrPlyr
Try finding one used on Craigslist/eBay and save some money.

This.

Practically all my pedals, including my Wampler Triple Wreck, have been bought from eBay. As long as you check out the seller before hand and read all the descriptions carefully, you should be good. Requires a bit of patience, but you can save yourself a lot of money.
Quote by Mathamology
This.

Practically all my pedals, including my Wampler Triple Wreck, have been bought from eBay. As long as you check out the seller before hand and read all the descriptions carefully, you should be good. Requires a bit of patience, but you can save yourself a lot of money.

The only pedals I bought new are my El Cap and my Timmy. The El Cap because I wanted one badly and they weren't available used (yet), the Timmy because it's cheaper new.
regularly checking ebay for a plextortion no joy however I've started GAS hard for a Catalinbread DLS the demo sound incredible not to mention those Joyo's that Everyone is talking about because of the scandal last week - too many pedals, so little time (and money lol)
Current Rig: