Hi guys!
So, I'm starting to save up for a new amp. I currently have:
- a Blackheart Handsome Devil 15w
- Harley Benton 2x12 speakers
- TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion pedal
- a Carvin CT6M ( love it. A lot. )

So, I currently get a pretty good hardrock sound, but I'm looking for more of a metal sound in my amp. I really like Opeth, Mors Principium Est, Kalmah and some Arch Enemy. I like warm, smooth cleans and a clear distorted sound ( nothing too muddy! ).

Money is not really an issue, but I'm looking to spend around 1000 euros ( I live in the Netherlands ), could save up for a bit more. I do play with a band every once in a while, but I don't need something REALLY loud. The loudest I need to play is a small gig.

Has anyone got any idea what amps I should look into?
Thanks a lot!
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
I'd look into these amps for sure:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_screamer50_e335_gitarrentopteil.htm - Engl Screamer

http://www.thomann.de/gb/engl_fireball_e625_gitarrentopteil.htm - Engl Fireball

http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_vh100rn.htm - Laney VH100r the same amps that Mikael from Opeth uses I believe.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Peavey 6505 would be pretty good.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
That Laney looks pretty awesome, I'd probably get a used one, but that shouldn't matter that much, right?
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
Laney amps are awesome, but can be kinda hard to find a store that actualy stocks them to try.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
So, after looking around a bit, I managed to find a used Laney VH100R, €450 buyout, current bid is €350!
Would be a great price to pay for a used Laney VH100R, right? Looks like it's in great shape for what I can see, he used it as a backup amp anyway.
Thoughts?
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
Quote by LordPino
So, after looking around a bit, I managed to find a used Laney VH100R, €450 buyout, current bid is €350!
Would be a great price to pay for a used Laney VH100R, right? Looks like it's in great shape for what I can see, he used it as a backup amp anyway.
Thoughts?

Go for it.

Awesome amplifiers.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
See the problem here is you've listed a bunch of bands that almost always use a recto for their studio work. Opeth and Arch Enemy worship the bloody things (except Opeth on Watershed, that was 75% JVM / 25 % recto).

A VH100R is a nice amp, but is not going to get you anywhere near the sounds you've listed that I'm familiar with. Keep this in mind when you try them out - don't expect a cheap, british voiced amp to sound like a premium american voiced amp tracked four times.
Quote by Kikuta
See the problem here is you've listed a bunch of bands that almost always use a recto for their studio work. Opeth and Arch Enemy worship the bloody things (except Opeth on Watershed, that was 75% JVM / 25 % recto).

A VH100R is a nice amp, but is not going to get you anywhere near the sounds you've listed that I'm familiar with. Keep this in mind when you try them out - don't expect a cheap, british voiced amp to sound like a premium american voiced amp tracked four times.

Good point, thanks!
However, I would like to say that I am not looking for an amp that sounds EXACTLY like those bands. I merely want an amp that sounds nice when I play, for example, Opeth. I'm not in a tribute band, I just think their guitars sound really nice and would therefore like an amp that sounds good when playing this type of music.
I hope that makes sense.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
Quote by amithkallupalam
Peavey 6505 would be pretty good.

Nope. Cleans aren't good enough really, plus he has about 1300-1500usd, which is more than the 6505
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by LordPino
Good point, thanks!
However, I would like to say that I am not looking for an amp that sounds EXACTLY like those bands. I merely want an amp that sounds nice when I play, for example, Opeth. I'm not in a tribute band, I just think their guitars sound really nice and would therefore like an amp that sounds good when playing this type of music.
I hope that makes sense.

I'm reading "I need an amp that suits their style of play". Correct?

In that case, the VH100R should cover those bases. Moreso the Opeth side of things. If you're looking for a more aggressive, 'in your face' tone ala Arch Enemy, throw a maxon OD820 in front of it. Same boost they used on Doomsday Machine, and boy do the Doomsday Machine guitars sound good.
Quote by Kikuta
I'm reading "I need an amp that suits their style of play". Correct?

In that case, the VH100R should cover those bases. Moreso the Opeth side of things. If you're looking for a more aggressive, 'in your face' tone ala Arch Enemy, throw a maxon OD820 in front of it. Same boost they used on Doomsday Machine, and boy do the Doomsday Machine guitars sound good.

That is correct.

Glad to hear it, sounds like the Laney is what I'm looking for!
Actually, Doomsday Machine is probably the reason I started playing in the first place. The sound they have is brilliant, I'll look into that pedal ( but tbh I quite recently bought my TC Electronics Dark Matter, probably don't quite pack the punch the OD820 does, but should boost my distortion if the amp doesn't do the trick)!

Thanks for the comments all, sounds like I found what I was looking for.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M