I recently got the action of my strings reduced. They were super high, and aren't that low now, but I can barre somewhat. In minor bar chords, I can barre every string except the G string, and in Major, I can't barre the B and G String. The B does come down sometimes, but the G seems impossible!

Any tips?

Thanks!
what exactly is your issue? you can keep the strings down all the way?
it seems you just need more finger strength. the fact that you're getting most of the strings down is great, but all is the ideal. For minor chords, you REALLY need that G string down.
For major, presuming you're doing them like this:

e-1--
B-1--
G-2--
D-3--
A-3--
E-1--

^you're fretting a note on the G string so you technically don't need to barre it (but you actually do if you want to the B and E strings down - which you do.)

I don't know if this is a good exercise or not, but give this a try:
hold down the E string with your index finger. then hold down the E and B string with the same finger etc etc until you have all six strings sounding using only your index finger:

e-1----1-----1-----1--------1------1---------------------------
B------1-----1------1--------1-----1--------------------------
G------------1------1--------1-----1-------------------------
D-------------------1--------1------1-------------------------
A-----------------------------1-----1-----------------------
E-----------------------------------1---------------------

^sorry about the skewness but you get my point. make sure each individual string sounds clearly, no buzz! if you can get every string down with your one finger and sounding clearly then go forth and do barre chords like a boss!
If your strings aren't that low now, why don't you get whoever adjusted the action to lower them some more? Especially if you paid for it.
Quote by FallenDestiny
I recently got the action of my strings reduced. They were super high, and aren't that low now, but I can barre somewhat. In minor bar chords, I can barre every string except the G string, and in Major, I can't barre the B and G String. The B does come down sometimes, but the G seems impossible!

Any tips?

Thanks!

Thats a good start on barre chords. I think you mostly have a finger strength issue. I've found on barre chords it helps to turn your barring finger just a little bit in to use the bonier, inside part of your finger on the strings. After I discovered that, my barre chords improved a lot.
the person who lowered the action said it couldn't go lower. Probably because my guitar came really cheap.
Quote by FallenDestiny
Any tips?

Thanks!

It's not my intention to sound like a smart ass, but... practice.

A lot of it usually isn't the fault of the fingers, but more the thumb position behind the neck.

Just above the centre of the neck, and roughly in line of the first finger.

Play the barre shapes higher up the neck as well where the frets are narrower, just so you get a feel for it all over the neck.
Last edited by mdc at Nov 10, 2011,
Quote by FallenDestiny
the person who lowered the action said it couldn't go lower. Probably because my guitar came really cheap.

Fair enough mate, but a good action makes such a huge difference.

At least if you practice enough to nail barres on a poorly set up guitar, you'll find it way easier when you decide to upgrade.

Keep at it, and you'll be banging out perfect barres in no time. Play your chord and make sure each string is ringing cleanly. If not, adjust until it is. It's the only way I'm afraid and it's hard work, but it's so worth it as it opens up the whole fretboard for chords.

Good luck!
Quote by mdc
It's not my intention to sound like a smart ass, but... practice.

On UG, the cop-out answer is usually the right one.
Don't think about time, man. Music's not a race. Just play, and enjoy the instrument.
Last edited by mdc at Nov 10, 2011,
Quote by mdc
Are you disagreeing or....?

No I'm 100% agreeing. Simplest answer is usually the right one. "Practice more" sounds like a cop out answer because it's so simple and obvious, but it's also the truth.

Quote by FallenDestiny
How much time did it take you guys to nail Barre Chords

Not too long, you just have to keep at it (but don't injure yourself - if you start to get pain in your thumb rest it for a bit or practice something less physically demanding). Having said that, I feel like really, you never truly "nail" any technique. No matter what you do, from simple chord strumming to sweeping to alternate picking and everything in between, there is ALWAYS room for improvement. You'll think you've nailed a technique then one day a song will come along using that technique that you try to play and suddenly you'll find you have to work on it again. Not because you've got worse, but because it's a different take on it, or because it's a more advanced version of it.
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Nov 10, 2011,
I was where you are now not too long ago, so just to ease your mind, I was too looking around for threads about barre chords and tips etc. as well. But the reality is, it is just about muscle memory and practice - there is not one single tip on the web that will suddenly make all of the strings ring for you.

But if you keep at it, then suddenly it will just happen - or atleast that's how it happend for me. Every time you play a barre chord and you are not getting a clean sound, your brain is punishing you and this is beauty of being human - your brain/muscles WILL ultimately find a solution for this, sometimes without you even consciously realising.

The other day I was trying to show a friend how hard it was to learn the barre chords, and I was trying to do it wrong and I just couldn't. Everytime I lay that index finger over the strings for the E-shape barre chord, the strings just ring.

It is just a hurdle you will have to get over, and afterwards then you will be asking yourself "How the hell do I transition to those barre chords in less that 2-5 seconds?"
Last edited by dscheche at Nov 11, 2011,
I recently got the action of my strings reduced. They were super high, and aren't that low now, but I can barre somewhat. In minor bar chords, I can barre every string except the G string, and in Major, I can't barre the B and G String. The B does come down sometimes, but the G seems impossible.