So my friend plays guitar, and he has basically a starter pack guitar and a shitbox 10w ss starter amp. He asked me today if I had any suggestions for a new amp, so I said I'd have a look. He's played about a year.

Budget: £250, but could possibly be stretched to £350.
Home or gigging: Practice at home, and playing with me and a drummer now and then, but we're not a band, so no gigging.
Genres: Metal, rock, blues, and whatever turns up in rockschool grade three.
New or used: No problem with used, eBay and Gumtree is fine.
Current gear: See above. Shitty solid state amp and this guitar (SSS if it matters) which will be upgraded after the amp.

So, do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks.

My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
how much metal, rock and blues? what do you mean by those genres?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Erm, Metallica, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Airbourne, and Stevie Ray Vaughan are the main things he plays.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
ok, thanks.

older or newer metallica?

Sorry There is a method to these questions
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nothing past the black album, he hates it
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
sweet. he could *probably* get off with hot rod marshally type tones for that (and maiden is marshall too). It gives him a lot more options if he doesn't need the mesa/diezel modern high gain type tones.

had a quick look on thomann- there are some options there (plus they don't rip us on postage like most UK shops). Higher wattage laney cubs (haven't tried them), blackstar (some solid state shenanigans but they might work, haven't tried them either), bugeras (ditto, haven't tried, might set you on fire but are good value), blackheart (haven't tried ).

Jet city's UK distributor had some killer deals on ebay there a while back if they're still there- i haven't tried them either.

Wow I'm a lot of help. Jet city's probably the thing if the cleans are good enough.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
and dave hits the thread again..

I just have as much amp knowledge as he in his left thumb, but im gonna try:

when he wants to go for versatility, he would look to the vypyr tubes ( haent tried but seems liked here.. )

Those bugera's are not that good, since they can't really make those old-marshall tones..

I don't know how the prices are there, but the best bet will be or some kind of used marshall jcm800 combo ( which probably is more than the budget, but since i don't live in the UK i don't know really. )

Those jet city's can probably do it well, i had no problem with it's cleans

I hope you are helped.

PS: there are some dude's probably gonna suggest 6505+'s, just ignore them! they are useless for your kind of music etc..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Peavey Vyper, Vox VT, Fender Mustang
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Aye, I have the Blackstar HT20. Pretty good, but past his budget.

I'll have a gander at Thomann and see what comes up. I mentioned the Vypyr Tube to him earlier too, so he knows about that. Thanks for the help so far. Better check out Jet City, I forgot about them

My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by Tunder250
and dave hits the thread again..

I just have as much amp knowledge as he in his left thumb, but im gonna try:

ahaha i wouldn't say that, i just spam a lot. Plus I hadn't tried anything i actually mentioned
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've got a Laney Cub 8, the 5 watt one. If the higher watt ones sound like this, it will do SRV quite ok, but neither Metallica nor Maiden.

If he's really lucky, he could find a Laney GH50L or something similar to that.

Otherwise, I'd just go with my kind of standard recommendation; a used Peavey Ultra. Quite cheap, versatile enough until you've got like £700 and it uses 6L6 power tubes. This will get him closer to SRV than the Laney would.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Give it a few months and the JCAs will be on blow out on eBay. Grab one of their quarter stack JC20 and 112 deal for like 280 I think it was.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb