Hey GG&A, quick question for you guys. I've been looking at expanding my pedal collection with a distortion pedal and a wah. I'll be trying them out in-store before buying anything, but I've been looking at demos on YouTube for a while and think that the MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion is what I'm looking for in terms of sound, options, and response. However, on two different videos, two different users commented that you can't use a wah pedal effectively with them; it just doesn't sound good, and doesn't bring out the wah-wah effect when the distortion's on. Can anybody confirm or deny if this is true? I'm not trying to get my heart set on a combination that wouldn't work.
I haven't used a '78 Distortion, but I believe its just a clone of the old Dist+, which I do have... Anyway that really is going to be more about the wah than the distortion in my experience. Some wahs handle distortion well, others don't. Even a wah that does distortion well may not work well with certain distortions... You have to try the exact set up you want in order to see how it works.

Short answer: It depends.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by horser4dish
Hey GG&A, quick question for you guys. I've been looking at expanding my pedal collection with a distortion pedal and a wah. I'll be trying them out in-store before buying anything, but I've been looking at demos on YouTube for a while and think that the MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion is what I'm looking for in terms of sound, options, and response. However, on two different videos, two different users commented that you can't use a wah pedal effectively with them; it just doesn't sound good, and doesn't bring out the wah-wah effect when the distortion's on. Can anybody confirm or deny if this is true? I'm not trying to get my heart set on a combination that wouldn't work.

Find your local store that sells the pedal and try it out with your wah and amp and see.
^Like he said, depends more on the wah. I have used Boss PW-10 and Dunlop DB-01 and both did good with distortion and overdrive. Remember that if you put the distortion pedal in front of the wah you will get a very wild wah effect, almost everybody uses the opposite way but there is not a rule of how you should connect your pedal chain, just guidelines. Try different positions and see what works better for your taste and style.

BTW. Which wah are you gonna use? That way I think we can help you better.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Tubetime: Pretty sure it's either a Dist+ or Dist III, with some "mods" built-in. The Distortion III is my backup plan if the '78 doesn't work out. But thanks, I'll be sure to do that.

Sputnik: I had planned on trying out my combination in-store. I was just looking for some feedback to see if it was worth looking at the '78, or if it was going to be a real issue.

Perverockstar: I'm not sure about this yet. On paper, either the Cry Baby Classic or the Ibanez WH10 (don't care if it's a V2), but I'll also be looking at anything else in the store as well.
The 78 worth a look for sure!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich