Hey People.

Always great help in the forum so i was wondering if you can help me.

I'm basically looking for the cheapest les paul shape guitar with actives. The plan is then to completely customize it and put EMG's in it etc.

Anybody know any? I did have the Epiphone Special 2 in mind but obviously it has passive pickups and remodding it so i can fit actives would just be too much work.
Quote by Venice King
Snatch is such a crude term - Use a better one like axe-wound or cave-opening.

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
https://soundcloud.com/chris-thomas-214
^ Check it out
Used ESP/LTD EC 400 series guitars can be had for around $350. Incredible bargain, considering the quality of the instrument.
Quote by Chris3235
Anybody know any? I did have the Epiphone Special 2 in mind but obviously it has passive pickups and remodding it so i can fit actives would just be too much work.

This is a terrible idea. A special II is going to be a piece of crap no matter how many parts you replace.

You could probably find an EC1000 used for 5-600. They've already got excellent hardware and EMGs, so you probably wouldn't even need to modify anything there. As mentioned before, the EC400 are decent too, but once you get done modding it to higher specs you might as well just buy the 1000.
Quote by Chris3235
I did have the Epiphone Special 2 in mind but obviously it has passive pickups and remodding it so i can fit actives would just be too much work.

Are ya sure? I had a Gibson/Baldwin Signature Series LP that I turned into a Zakk Wylde style shredding monster with out too much difficulty.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Petey+D/pictures/gear/285745/
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Quote by lumberjack
Used ESP/LTD EC 400 series guitars can be had for around $350. Incredible bargain, considering the quality of the instrument.

/thread
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Roc8995
This is a terrible idea. A special II is going to be a piece of crap no matter how many parts you replace.

You could probably find an EC1000 used for 5-600. They've already got excellent hardware and EMGs, so you probably wouldn't even need to modify anything there. As mentioned before, the EC400 are decent too, but once you get done modding it to higher specs you might as well just buy the 1000.

+1

or a 400, as someone else said.

"false economy" springs to mind regarding the special II idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by camaross427
charvel desolation

I gotta say it.
Do not pay nearly $700 for a "Charvel" that's made in CHINA.
Cusp of Magic
Quote by Tyler.Allain
Agile AL2000. Then put the money in for actives. Best you will get at the cheapest you will get it.

This...

Agile make great les paul copies.

Xavier is also running a Pre Christmas sale so you can get one of there les pauls for about $139 if you dont mind having a natural maple top finish.
If it's cheap you're looking for, Swift Music in London do a Les Paul for £50 - there's even a build it yourself kit version of it which could be good for customising.

It won't have active pickups, but you won't get cheaper than that.

Obviously it's not going to be a great guitar, but the kit should be good enough to use as a basic framework for a home build project.

Have a look: http://www.swiftmusiclondon.co.uk/
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Darkdevil725
This...

Agile make great les paul copies.
He's in the UK so Agile are usless to him. Also they're not 'great' LP copies, they're dead average LP copies that happen to be slightly cheaper than the other average LP copies.

OP, if price concerns you then look second hand. Check out the nicer ESP LTDs or some MIJ copies like Edwards and some Tokais. You should be able to pickup a second hand LTD EC 1000 with EMGs at a reasonable price or one of the 400s or a MIJ Edwards + a set of EMGs for about the price the 1000 would be.

Worst comes to the worst you can get the Epiphone LP Custom EX which already has EMGs and costs about £100 less than the Zak Wylde model.
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
I gotta say it.
Do not pay nearly $700 for a "Charvel" that's made in CHINA.

+1

especially when the mij ones are only slightly more
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Here's your guitar, ts.

Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy EX

You're paying £100 more for the name with the ZW signature
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 10, 2011,
I've played the Prophecy EX, and I was not impressed with it. Just felt "cheap". Typical Epiphone I guess.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X