Page 1 of 2
I got turned onto PRS by there appearance. I figured I'd pick one up, no big deal. Then I started finding out more about them, their build quality, history, oh yeah -- and price. I then re-evaluated my cavalier attitude and went on a more intentional hunt.

I tried various models, neck profiles & wood combinations. I was drawn to the CE line because of the satin-finished, rock maple neck. PRS' website said it best, "The dense and more rigid maple neck gives the guitar more of a "live" sound accentuating the highs and midrange alike." I got a brand spankin' new old stock flame maple capped CE-22 early 2010 and haven't looked back.

After that I sort of really got into learning more about the company, their build, differences in models, differences in pups, wood, etc. Next thing you know, I'm booked to go to Experience PRS 2011.

But before that booking happened, I had a dream. A seemingly simple dream that started at the begining of the year. All I wanted was a solid rosewood necked PRS with 22 frets & a trem. How hard could it be?

While there have been many specimesn with my criteria over the year, it's not like they've been a common production model. Lucky for me PRS makes such a model in their current catalog, it's called the Modern Eagle (the forth iteration being called the Quatro).

I made up my mind that I wanted one, in faded blue around September/October. I figured that would give me anough time to do a couple things. 1) Improve my playing so I felt a bit more worthy (heck, I still didn't feel I deserved the CE to be honest), 2) Save my pennies.

Okay, let's shorten this story and cut to the chase. Just before leaving for Experience PRS my dream guitar drops in my lap. But, being prudent (idiot?), I decided to hold out -- you know, just in case a new model or something else special grabbed my attention more.

Experiene PRS 2011 was absolutely fantastic and I recommend everyone who can go -- go! But, I didn't find anything I wanted more than the Modern Eagle Quatro. So, while at my hotel, I bought the MEQ of my dreams!

HOUSTON, THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!

Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Some specs!

Top Wood: Carved "Artist Grade" Figured Maple Top

Back Wood: Mahogany

Finish: V12

Number of Frets: 22

Scale Length: 25"

Neck Wood: Select Dalbergia

Fretboard Wood: Select Dalbergia

Neck Shape: Pattern (retro Wide Fat)

Fretboard Inlays: Mother of Pearl and Paua Heart Birds

Headstock Inlay: Cocobola Headstock Overlay with Mother of Pearl and Paua Heart Modern Eagle

Bridge: PRS Tremolo

Tuners: Phase III Locking Tuners

Truss Rod Cover: "Quatro"

Treble Pickup: PRS 53/10 Treble

Bass Pickup: PRS 53/10 Bass

Pickup Switching: Volume and Push/Pull Tone Control with 3-Way Toggle Pickup Selector

Hardware Option: Gold

Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Nov 9, 2011,
More pictures!

Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Yet more pictures (man I love that neck...)

Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Congratulations, man! That is one sexy hunk of wood.
Think For Yourself, Question Authority - Dr. Timothy Leary

Quote by Poopsmith666
[21:09] im so canadian i piss maple syrup and i shit the beavers!

Quote by theyab
[1:01] im 21 years old i know how to jerk off
jizz
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Congrats. Go **** yourself.

Damn that's fine looking, HNGD.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Epic!

I've always wanted a Modern Eagle. Badass guitars.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I love the shape, how thin it is and everything else except the top and finish. Slap a more subtle flame on it and a different finish and then we'll talk.

HNGD nonetheless
I also despise the finish. If it was a little less OHMYGODLOOKATFLAME and possibly had black pickup mounting rings, it'd probably be incredibly good looking.

Just my 2 cents.

Is probably an amazing guitar nonetheless.
Quote by Inbleach
Congratulations, man! That is one sexy hunk of wood.
Thanks! I'm loving it!
Quote by RetroGunslinger
jizz
It happens...

(Now that I think about it, often -- like whenever I walk into my music room!)
Quote by Tango616
Congrats. Go **** yourself.

Damn that's fine looking, HNGD.
LOL!
Quote by Jyrgen
Drooling all over the pics. HNGD! Also you own pretty much my dream rig atm.
I'm pretty happy with it so far. Need to do some work with the board to get things sorted out -- and maybe add an expression pedal for the Nova System. But it's serving me well so far. Last night I finally got a chance to absolutely dime the TubeMeister. All I can say is "WOW!"
Quote by MatrixClaw
Epic!

I've always wanted a Modern Eagle. Badass guitars.
I've been pretty blown away with how hot the 53/10 pups are. I just assumed they were all vintage -- I've been pleasantly surprised about how well they like metal.
Quote by monwobobbo
WOW that is a nice looking axe enjoy
Gracias! I normally don't like being told what to do, but in this case...
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
absolutely awesome mate, that neck is sexy as ****

Yeah, it really is. That was what all of this was about, actually. I just wanted a RW neck! Is that so much to ask for?

As hard to believe as it is, the thing is even more smooth feeling than my maple neck. It just feels like butter!
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by allochthomas
brb, got to fap

Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I love the shape, how thin it is and everything else except the top and finish. Slap a more subtle flame on it and a different finish and then we'll talk.

HNGD nonetheless

The MEQ is actually thicker than the Customs & CEs. It's the thickness of their McCarty.

So far I'm a fan of the V12 finish. My CE has the acrylic urethane and I like it as well. I'm pretty easy to please in that department as I like both.

The V12 is suppossed to hit the midpoint between nitro and acrylic. It's apparently extremely thin (to allow the guitar to resonate), while still being very durable. I do know this guitar rings like a freakin' bell. But I don't know about the long-term durability and I don't plan on whacking it against the drum kit anytime soon to find out.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
DAMN NICE!!! congratz!

Clipz please?

Damn nice guitar

Could i ask about her price?

HNGD MAN!! :P
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Dude thats awesome, one of the nicest PRS's I've seen

HNGD
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
This guitar has been my avatar on Rig Talk for like 2 years. So hawt. Wish I could afford one, but apparently I have a problem spending that kind of cash on guitars and no problem at all spending it on amps
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
rosewood necks are the shiz. congrats!

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Tunder250
DAMN NICE!!! congratz!

Clipz please?

Damn nice guitar

Could i ask about her price?

HNGD MAN!! :P
Thanks!

I'm planning on putting some clips up on my profile.

As for price, I really shouldn't say. They list for $7,126.00 but I got a heck of a deal...

Quote by Shredx
Dude thats awesome, one of the nicest PRS's I've seen

HNGD
Gracias! A lot of the tops for the Quatro have "stripes" that are too narrow for my tastes. I like that these are a bit wider.

Quote by MatrixClaw
This guitar has been my avatar on Rig Talk for like 2 years. So hawt. Wish I could afford one, but apparently I have a problem spending that kind of cash on guitars and no problem at all spending it on amps
Amps are just another GAS affliction. I don't envy you at all for having it so bad...

Quote by gregs1020
rosewood necks are the shiz. congrats!

It's my first one but I'm loving it.

Quote by n1ckn1ce
Dude, i have to convince you that you DONT like the guitar and you HAVE togive it to me. Nice NGD, congrats!

I feel like a Stormtrooper being pwnd by Obi Wan!
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Man this has made my GAS for PRS even worse...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
GAS is a horribly wonderful thing. I love/hate it.
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Yeah, I have the choice of saving for a Mesa Mk4 or a HBii

Cant be both though.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Ooooh, that's rough man! Especially when you consider what that HB would sound like through the Mk4. Talk about a tone producer!
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by Tom 1.0
Yeah, I have the choice of saving for a Mesa Mk4 or a HBii

Cant be both though.

Buy one, then set fire to the store and steal the other. You will then have a trully nice rig.
Quote by richardlpalmer
Amps are just another GAS affliction. I don't envy you at all for having it so bad...

I've actually been thinking about selling off the guitars I don't use and just getting one really high end guitar with the money I make off of them. The Modern Eagle or a LP Custom would probably be the two I'd be choosing between.

To be honest though, I've never really been bothered with high end guitars. I find one I like the feel of an stick with it, the sound difference between the lower high end guitars and super high end is very minimal in most cases, which is probably why I've never felt the need to spend a ton on an expensive guitar.

...But they ARE pretty
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
That is an incredible guitar. Nothing beats a PRS in my opinion. I've got a CE-22 myself and I love it. I was telling SWMBO earlier that as incredible as my own guitar is it is entry level as far as PRS's go. That's less a knock on my guitar and more of a testament to how nice those top of the line PRS's are. Enjoy!!

I love the nickel/gold hardware combo. If I ever swap pickups/upgrade or replace hardware that's what I'm going for.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
I suppose it's rather pointless to also say it in this thread, but HNGD. told you everyone appreciates a PRS 

Because of this talk about PRS, I've got another bout of GAS for a 513 in Purple Hazel with gold hardware. 
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 10, 2011,
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Still sure you want to keep it? BTW, yhe neck is really bare wood? No finish?

I seriously doubt that.

It has to have some kind of oil or at least a satin finish on it to seal the wood, otherwise it would warp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
dalbergia... so that is what they call rosewood. that is gorgeous.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Beautiful!
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
this thread makes me sad i passed up that PRS SC with trem and rosewood neck.

gah i'm so stupid.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Holy crap, that's incredible. Makes me want to actually save up for my Taylor 816 now
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by MatrixClaw

I've actually been thinking about selling off the guitars I don't use and just getting one really high end guitar with the money I make off of them. The Modern Eagle or a LP Custom would probably be the two I'd be choosing between.

To be honest though, I've never really been bothered with high end guitars. I find one I like the feel of an stick with it, the sound difference between the lower high end guitars and super high end is very minimal in most cases, which is probably why I've never felt the need to spend a ton on an expensive guitar.

...But they ARE pretty
Yeah, I hear you. I don't know what to say about that, myself. I use to work in a music store when I was younger and ended up buying something very inexpensive. Looking back, I know it was pretty junky, but I loved it and wish I had it to this day.

I'm also not kidding myself that I'm "good enough" for these guitars. If I were a professional studio/gigging musician, sure. But that's not the case.

Still, I really enjoy them. And that's good enough reason alone to own them. Oh, and BTW, an LP Custom would also be sweet!

Quote by ATLstang
That is an incredible guitar. Nothing beats a PRS in my opinion. I've got a CE-22 myself and I love it. I was telling SWMBO earlier that as incredible as my own guitar is it is entry level as far as PRS's go. That's less a knock on my guitar and more of a testament to how nice those top of the line PRS's are. Enjoy!!

I love the nickel/gold hardware combo. If I ever swap pickups/upgrade or replace hardware that's what I'm going for.
Yeah, I mean they do have the Korean made SE line (which are absolutely amazing for the price -- ridiculous!), and now they have some others (Mira, Starla, NF, etc.) but back in the day the CE was pretty much the equivalent of Fender's USA Standard Strat. Pretty crazy when you think about how consistently amazing the CEs have been...

Quote by ragingkitty
I suppose it's rather pointless to also say it in this thread, but HNGD. told you everyone appreciates a PRS 

Because of this talk about PRS, I've got another bout of GAS for a 513 in Purple Hazel with gold hardware. 
You were, and are correct...

BTW, if/when you're ready to pull the trigger on that 513 let me know. I might be able to help...

Quote by n1ckn1ce
Still sure you want to keep it? BTW, yhe neck is really bare wood? No finish? Is it heavy?
I'm keeping you in mind in case I get too disgusted with it and just want to ship it away to someone (I'm assuming you'll split the shipping charges with me).

The neck has some finish on it, but otherwise is "bare". It's really like a satin finish you'd see on a maple neck.

Quote by gumbilicious
dalbergia... so that is what they call rosewood. that is gorgeous.
Yup, probably more marketing than anything. But when I looked it up on Wikipedia I got kind of confused. I just say "Rosewood"...

Quote by gregs1020
this thread makes me sad i passed up that PRS SC with trem and rosewood neck.

gah i'm so stupid.
I hate those moments. My only musical regrets revolve around guitars. Amps & other equipment have come and gone -- some I've gotten replacements for. But those freakin' guitars...

Quote by Natrone
Holy crap, that's incredible. Makes me want to actually save up for my Taylor 816 now

Ooooooooh, that sounds awesome! DOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIITTTTTTT!
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Page 1 of 2