Hi there.

need to say this first, I don't have an electric guitar yet, only an acoustic. BUT I'm going to buy one pretty soon. But I am novice with acoustic, and I don't know anything about electric guitar. I haven't even touched one yet.

My question is, what is the best way to learn to play Electric guitar? I know, I know. The answer is: just play. You learn a lot from just playing. Or trying to play. Meh.

But I know this is not enough. What should I do? I don't go to music school, and can't go to it either. It's too late in the year.

Do I buy a study book for electric first, read it through and learn some from it? Of shouldn't I bother with that yet? Or should I get a teacher to learn me? Hmm, might not be a good idea, that's too costly...

Please, help me out.

Thanks in advance.
Buy rocksmith for xbox or ps3. It won't teach you technique but it'll be the most fun you've ever had with a guitar. Except for that one time with the guitar and the two waitresses in the back of a seedy motel... wait... what?

But seriously... I've upped my practicing to 4+ hours a day in large part to having such a fun time with rocksmith. That and having my girlfriend be 3000 miles away at school.

Or you can wait for people here to post about watching instructional videos and books.
how did you learn acoustic? From a book or playing? Acoustic is more chords and strumming. Electric is scales, notes, barre chords and bends. Thats a gross oversimplification but whatever your good at on acoustic will translate to electric and vise versa
he of tranquil mind
I found the transition from acoustic to electric to be rather easy, mostly because electric is just easier to play.
Quote by AngryAnarchist
Do I buy a study book for electric first, read it through and learn some from it? Of shouldn't I bother with that yet? Or should I get a teacher to learn me? Hmm, might not be a good idea, that's too costly...

Well, before anyone can really answer this accurately: what do you want to learn and play on the guitar?
Quote by Spud Spudly
I found the transition from acoustic to electric to be rather easy, mostly because electric is just easier to play.

This. Acoustic guitars are unforgiving, so any mistake you make will be noticeable. Electric was a lot easier for me to make good sounds on.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
if you can afford lessons, they will certainly be worth it. a good instructor will teach you theory and technique, allowing you to become a fairly complete guitarist.

if thats a little steep price-wise, pick up some good introductory books (acoustic and electric are effectively the same instrument, especially for a beginner). read what they write and try and make sure you're understanding what the book is preaching and why. also, you can try learning songs from tabs (found on this lovely website).
If you can play an acoustic, you can probably pick up electric pretty quick. You'll focus more on barre chords and if you use distortion you'll want to practice muting strings or your playing will sound really muddy. IMO the tonal possibilities of the electric guitar make it a funner instrument. With a good guitar and amp you can play everything from the Chicago Blues to speed metal.
I've learned acoustic from both playing, and from a book. The help from a friend also helped. I know a good lot of chords now.

What I wouèld like to play? I wouldlike to play all kinds of music styles. But the genre I dislike is Metal. I don't like to play that I think. Punk, on the other hand, is awesome. same goesn for blues, jazz, hardrock, softrock, pop,etc.

The guitar I'd like to buy (tomorrow, I hope) is an Adam Black Orion.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/adam-black-orion-osr/25532

Would this be a good guitar? The old bad thing is, that there isn't a tremolo bar on it. meh.

Good Idea?
I don't know anything at all about the quality of that guitar, but I think it looks really cool. You don't see a lot of people playing guitars with that body shape. It has humbuckers which are typically better for punk and hard rock, and can usually be suitable for the blues. Maybe somebody else knows how good of an instrument that is.
I've gone and bought that guitar yesterday. I've got 3 hours of experience by now.
I really like the guitar. And I like the options on the amp. I've bought a Roland Amp, and I'm happy about it. I'ts just a small amp, for learning to play. But I feel I'm getting there. Well, eventually I will. I hope.

Wish me luck!