I'm looking into building my own low wattage tube amp. I have a pretty solid understanding of electronics both digital and analog. But I'm hoping someone who has a little bit of amp building knowledge could help me out.
Is it possible to take an existing solid state amp circuit and modify the transistors and circuitry in it to run tubes?
I've look at a lot of tube schematics but not solid state, but I do understand how the transistors and what not play into amplification.
Thanks UG!
It's unlikely. Tubes run on several hundred volts. You'd need to replace most of everything including the most expensive part, being the transformer(s).
Quote by Fingerboy18
Something like this would be an inexpensive project:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/6L6-5881-SE-Tube-Amp/

Ahhhh so he used the tube preamp from a "hybrid" amp?
I already have a Peavy VTX Classic which is old school hybrid. It has a tube power amp and a solid state preamp. The power amp is two 6L6GT's, maybe I could rip the power amp from that and build a tube preamp for it?
Quote by thehardwayout
I already have a Peavy VTX Classic which is old school hybrid. It has a tube power amp and a solid state preamp. The power amp is two 6L6GT's, maybe I could rip the power amp from that and build a tube preamp for it?

This is an all tube stereo amplifier. A tube preamplifier might help you much more than a power amp. Most of your tone generated by electronics is from your preamp. The power amp's job should be to simply amplify without affecting the sound.

The only hybrid that I would personally suggest is a tube preamp/SS power amp, but these can be enclosed in separate cases.

Standalone units would increase versatility of your rig.
Quote by thehardwayout

Maybe. However, most preamplifier tubes use different voltages than power tubes. 6L6's are not acceptable to be used as preamp tubes.

6L6 Specs:
Filament - 6.3V @ 900 mA (this is to just heat the tubes)
Anode Voltage - +350VDC

12AX7 Specs:
Filament - 6.3V @ 300 mA (this is to just heat the tubes)
Anode Voltage - +250VDC

As you can see, there are incompatabilies.

Be careful and good luck. There are many resources on the internet of tube preamplifier that you can afford and can build yourself. Safety first, rocking second.