Does anyone else LOL when they see lessons on things like 'how to play with feeling' or 'soul'? It's basically like saying 'here, pull this face to look like this note makes you sad' 'and this one's good for emulating that classic sour-taste in you mouth look' 'maybe tilt your head to the side a little too? yeah, that's good'.

You can't teach people how to feel something (handjob puns... meh, go ahead ). Just my thoughts on the matter anyway, it's a bit of a facepalm moment when I see that kinda thing.
True.

It's funny, this reminds me of the whole "playing with soul" argument people who can't play fast use all the time. There can be soul in shred, easily. To say tempo, fast or slow, will make feeling or soul impossible is retarded. It's just because you can't play fast. Face it.
Quote by Fleur de Lys
True.

It's funny, this reminds me of the whole "playing with soul" argument people who can't play fast use all the time. There can be soul in shred, easily. To say tempo, fast or slow, will make feeling or soul impossible is retarded. It's just because you can't play fast. Face it.

people who play fast still have "soul". look at satriani (jazz) or dave mustaine (metal). they play pretty fast in my opinion and still look like they are really into the music. though, it could be that a lot of touring for bands makes them really tired and they just don't have the energy to get really into their music.

anyway, that really isn't something you learn from a lesson, class, etc. you learn it through your influences (e.g. if you like metal, you do teh h3ad b4ng ) or from your emotions.
Quote by metalplayer0-1
Does anyone else LOL when they see lessons on things like 'how to play with feeling' or 'soul'? It's basically like saying 'here, pull this face to look like this note makes you sad' 'and this one's good for emulating that classic sour-taste in you mouth look' 'maybe tilt your head to the side a little too? yeah, that's good'.

People do those thing because they are playing with soul, not they are playing with soul because they are doing those things.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
Quote by thrashdeth
People do those thing because they are playing with soul, not they are playing with soul because they are doing those things.

Oh no don't get me wrong, I understand that. What I'm saying is you cant teach someone how to feel emotion in their playing. It's something you just find when you're in the zone. There's no point in making faces without feeling it, that's just fake.
Quote by thrashdeth

When you get applause from the audience after a solo, you're getting there...

When you get done with a solo and have tears in your eyes because it moved you that much.... You've arrived...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Fleur de Lys
To say tempo, fast or slow, will make feeling or soul impossible is retarded.

What you're saying is that a good musician will be able to keep 'feeling' in his/her music on fast tempo. That's not to say you can't play parts so fast they're absolutely without soul. That's completely possible. Don't confuse the two.
Quote by Frost_Power
**** the pit, i'm finding a real forum

I just hate it when people say "lol that guy shreds like crazy but he has no soul". Well, what the flying f*uck do you know about his soul or what he feels when playing?
I have no sig
You can't teach how to play with soul, it is something you get from lots of playing. You end up not even thinking about what or how your playing. And I belive you can play fast and still retain the soul of what your doing. But I also belive there is a point where you are playing so fast that it is more of a mathmatical playing vs. just feeling it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Fleur de Lys
True.

i wanted to say something, but i will just agree with this one.
Playing with soul is simple. Find your victim, kill the person he loves the most, convince him it was his fault, give him the option to either kill himself, or do your bidding.

... Wait, that's not what we were talking about? Oh.
Last edited by TextOnTheScreen at Nov 9, 2011,
A lot of the "soul/feeling" thing seems to come from jazz/blues elitists.

A lot of the shred and metal guys respect the jazz and blues guys, but in return they seem to put their nose in the air and deem anything faster than they might be able to play, to "have no soul."

I'm not saying all of them, but to those guys, anything that isn't a 3 second bend with your eyes closed in a near orgasm face makes it less soulful. Same goes for just playing fast, and people thinking, "Oh, they play fast, they must be just going fast for the hell of it thinking it's the only merit of skill, it's not music, it's just speed." The second one tends to come from the classic rock elitists who don't/can't play fast.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Tango616
A lot of the "soul/feeling" thing seems to come from jazz/blues elitists.

A lot of the shred and metal guys respect the jazz and blues guys, but in return they seem to put their nose in the air and deem anything faster than they might be able to play, to "have no soul."

I'm not saying all of them, but to those guys, anything that isn't a 3 second bend with your eyes closed in a near orgasm face makes it less soulful. Same goes for just playing fast, and people thinking, "Oh, they play fast, they must be just going fast for the hell of it thinking it's the only merit of skill, it's not music, it's just speed." The second one tends to come from the classic rock elitists who don't/can't play fast.

When people only listen to Jazz or Blues, it'll be easiest for them to find soul in that genre. A lot of Americans say "Everything sounds angry or dirty when you say it in German." But someone from Germany wouldn't agree, because they hear German all the time and they know what's going on. It's a similar concept. Someone that listens to lots of metal can find soul in lightning fast riffs, and someone that listens to only blues probably won't.
Quote by metalplayer0-1
Oh no don't get me wrong, I understand that. What I'm saying is you cant teach someone how to feel emotion in their playing. It's something you just find when you're in the zone. There's no point in making faces without feeling it, that's just fake.
maybe the idea is to teach people to get into that zone so they can then play with emotion and soul. If you dont have the tools to express yourself you wont be able to play with soul. Wouldnt you say some tools are more important there than others? Like rhythm, learning when to hold notes to build tension and emotion, etc... certainly there are aspects of playing that that better focus emotion than others? Or if your metal guy is it just faster faster faster and that slow shit is for your dad's garage blues band?????
he of tranquil mind
At lot of guitarists (well know ones) can generally play a hell of a lot faster/better than you see them play, so they're not necessarily disregarding fast playing as 'soul-less'. Stevie Ray Vaughan played hard and fast and had buckets of 'soul'.

To me, soul/emotion/feeling etc is the content, not the speed you play at. Gary Moore is another example, had plenty of 'soul' but also could tear up the guitar.
Quote by Jinzu
That's not to say you can't play parts so fast they're absolutely without soul. That's completely possible. Don't confuse the two.

It's possible, but it's also possible to play "without soul" at a slower tempo. Bottom line is, the tempo has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with "soul".

It's a pretty simple concept, really. People are competitive, and when they see somebody doing something they can't do, the instinctive reaction is to become jealous and defensive. The people who use "oh it's fast, it has no soul" fall into one of two categories.

1. Trying to justify a lack of technical ability.
2. Trying to justify laziness leading to poor technical development. This basically means that they don't want to put in the work to became a technically excellent player, so by saying "I play with soul" it's supposedly a good reason for not doing the work.

Music is going to have a different effect on each listener, so there's no emotion inherent in the actual music itself. Therefore, the best definition of "playing with soul" that I could conceive of would be when a player can communicate exactly what they feel should go in the music through the use of the guitar. As a result of this, the people who are closing off a whole world of technical ability (for whatever reason) can effectively be said to be playing with less soul, if anything; it's through their closed-mindedness that they actually limit their ability to express themselves on the instrument.

That's pretty much the way I see it. People make guitar playing (and music in general) more competitive than it should be, and this kind of crap is the result.
Quote by :-D
It's possible, but it's also possible to play "without soul" at a slower tempo. Bottom line is, the tempo has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with "soul".

It's a pretty simple concept, really. People are competitive, and when they see somebody doing something they can't do, the instinctive reaction is to become jealous and defensive. The people who use "oh it's fast, it has no soul" fall into one of two categories.

1. Trying to justify a lack of technical ability.
2. Trying to justify laziness leading to poor technical development. This basically means that they don't want to put in the work to became a technically excellent player, so by saying "I play with soul" it's supposedly a good reason for not doing the work.

Music is going to have a different effect on each listener, so there's no emotion inherent in the actual music itself. Therefore, the best definition of "playing with soul" that I could conceive of would be when a player can communicate exactly what they feel should go in the music through the use of the guitar. As a result of this, the people who are closing off a whole world of technical ability (for whatever reason) can effectively be said to be playing with less soul, if anything; it's through their closed-mindedness that they actually limit their ability to express themselves on the instrument.

That's pretty much the way I see it. People make guitar playing (and music in general) more competitive than it should be, and this kind of crap is the result.

I, too, wanted to say something, but you already said it.

It's pretty much the same thing as all those pretencious(sp) idiots who claim learning theory would "limit" their soul. Once you actually learn theory you discover that there's pretty much a name for anything you can do anyways, and in most cases, you just discover new (and often cooler) ways to what you already are.
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
Quote by troyofyort
I hate when people use this argument to bash John Petrucci....

I thought of him too. Anyone who says you can't play fast with soul/feeling should go listen to the final solo of The Best of Times by DT.