http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaXbPuLDNRA
1:25
i was transcribing this part but can't seem to get it right, can anyone help?
during the bend is he striking the thicker strings open or something to get that weird sound (I cant explain it) with the bend or that some kinda bend that i don't know about?
Sounds like a sloppy version of this lick

B        17 17
G 19B            19B

Probably not what he plays but sounds like its that kinda lick.
Quote by mrbabo91
Sounds like a sloppy version of this lick

B        17 17
G 19B 19B

Probably not what he plays but sounds like its that kinda lick.

i'm getting another 17 instead of the second bend but i'm more talking about how heavy it sounds like he strums all the strings...?
Quote by schism8
i'm getting another 17 instead of the second bend but i'm more talking about how heavy it sounds like he strums all the strings...?

He may be on purpose hitting the lower strinds slightly. It might be down to slopiness though
Of course he's is doing it on purpose; it's John Frusciante! And yes, in answer to the question, he is kind of scraping across the lower strings whilst muting them (either with his palm as he rakes, or his left hand by laying fingers flat across the fretboard to mute - didn't quite catch which one he was doing, but I'd assume a mixture of the two, but with more of the palm)
Quote by theknuckster
Of course he's is doing it on purpose; it's John Frusciante! And yes, in answer to the question, he is kind of scraping across the lower strings whilst muting them (either with his palm as he rakes, or his left hand by laying fingers flat across the fretboard to mute - didn't quite catch which one he was doing, but I'd assume a mixture of the two, but with more of the palm)

I figured he does it on prupose as he does it alot when starting his solos live.

and I think you guys are right about the mute/rake combo, sounds pretty close.